Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic > Rubank Elementary Method  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

FluteGirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FluteGirlAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 7

Posted 6/6/2010 11:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So SmartMusic has Rubank Intermediate and Advanced Method books loaded on their software, but why not the Rubank Elementary Method? MOST flute teachers in MD are using that book, and I'm sure around the country as well. Maybe in the 2011 version, it will be included? Please SmartMusic, be smart about the music that people want! Thanks!!!

Travis Shepard
SmartMusic Support

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Travis ShepardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 148

Posted 6/7/2010 1:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

FluteGirl,

Welcome to the Forums!  The best way to request new repertoire is to visit http://www.smartmusic.com/FindMusic/Request.aspx and fill out the Repertoire Request Form.

This brings your request directly to our Repertoire department.  Requests help us determine what to add next to SmartMusic.  Licensing and engraving a method book for SmartMusic can take quite a while before repertoire actually makes it into the program. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Travis Shepard
SmartMusic Customer Support

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly at http://support.makemusic.com/

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 6/7/2010 3:00 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hey Flute Girl,

The mention of repertoire requests are the way to go.  Anyway, from a Band directors point of view, there are better beginner methods than Rubank out there and that is probably why it hasn't been added yet.   I personally don't use the beginner book for this reason.  The Intermediate and Advanced Books are great for individual work and are great to work with. I am glad they are included.

Jim Jolley - Band Director Center Hill Middle School

Finale 2006c, 2008a, 2009b, 2010a - Smartmusic 2010 - Garritan CoMB - Vista

FluteGirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FluteGirlAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2010

Posted 6/7/2010 4:37 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info! I am new to teaching... I don't have a music degree, but I have a teaching degree (I know that is not the same thing but....), and I have been playing the flute for over 20 years. I am active in 2 flute choirs and 1 community band. I also repair flutes on the side.

So, can I pick your brain on which method books are best for beginners? All the local flute teachers recommended the Rubank, but has some reservations about it. Just curious what you might recommend. I only have 2 students now, but I am expecting to gain a few more this summer.

Thanks!
Jenn (aka: flutegirl)

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 6/8/2010 12:21 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jenn,

I really like the Standard of Excellence, well done book for a band. Other directors use EE 2000. Both work well and its a preference. I think the Rubank is good for individuals and would recommend it for what you are doing.
Here is an idea. Using smartmusic, take a look at the methods offered and look at the exercises. This way you know what each method offers for flutes. Plus you can use it in your teaching. Try and see what you like.

FluteGirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010

Posted 6/8/2010 9:25 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jim! The band directors in Baltimore County, MD seem to be using Accent on Achievement. Not sure if it's that great, but apparently they all have to use it.

By the way, you should check out a brand new band method book that is all the talk in the band director world right now... it's called Measures of Success. I indirectly know one of the writers, Brian Balmages. My community band commissioned his first piece years ago, and his father plays in the jazz band that is associated with our community band. According to my band director, it takes A LOT for directors to change the method books they currently use, and this new one that is comming out may have schools around the country switching to this new book. You can request a complimentary copy at FJH. I just got mine in the mail (it only took about a week or so), and so far it looks pretty great! Here is the website:
http://www.fjhmusic.com/mos/index.htm

Thanks again for your information! I am excited to merge my two loves into one world... teaching and playing the flute!

Jenn

FluteGirl
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010

Posted 6/8/2010 9:31 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PS: SmartMusic already is planning on putting the book "Measures of Success" on the next release SmartMusic 2011 (this summer!)

flutediva
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to flutedivaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 7/26/2010 5:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Flute Girl!
I am both a flute teacher and a band and orchestra director. I have a MA in flute performance. I have been teaching flute privately for 20 years and teaching band and orchestra for 11. All my students have been very successful.
The band director is wrong. Most flute teachers in America and Canada use Rubank Elementary Method. With reservations....I haven't found the "perfect" method yet...I don't believe it exists. That in mind the Rubank method has been around for a LONG time, over 50 years. Band methods are not the best way to start beginning private flute students. They are great for the rest of the band starting on their easiest notes. They mostly start on the instruments generally easiest notes - mostly centered around Bb instruments. The majority of students in the band start with the simplest finger combinations: concert Bb, C and D (3, 2, 1 for clarinet on the left hand). For flute this is a horrible way to start. There is no combination harder for the beginner to learn than Bb, c and d. C to D is awful. Rubank starts on g, a, b fingers 3,2,1 on 1 hand.

Most band directors will tell you that flute has the highest drop-out rate in beginning band. Its hard to blow and its hard to finger when using a traditional band method. All the beginning band directors in my district start all the instruments separately and start the flutes out like the rubank with G A and B. They have created their own "band book" for 5th grade. Then in 6th grade all the students switch to one of the band methods: Accent on Achievement, Band expressions, Standard of Excellence etc...

If you find that the Rubank is to fast for your students try the Pro-Art volume 1 or First Lessons For Flute and Razzamajazz for very simple cool sounding solos. I usually use a combination of Rubank Elementary, 40 little Pieces, and Rubank Duets volume 1 also using Garibaldi etudes or 117 progressive etudes for the flute for the average student. If it is too easy you can try the Trevor Wye beginning flute books and use in combination with the 117 and duet book from above and Concert and Contest collection for a solo.

Jim Ortner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim OrtnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 14

Posted 7/29/2010 6:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My daughter's flute teacher also used the Rubank method. This is the book I learned from when learning years ago and I wish the elementary book was included in SmartMusic. She has been using the Standard of Excellence book in 5th and 6th grade. Now the Junior High band director has decided that he doesn't like the Standard of Excellence book and has told the kids that they don't have to purchase a book this year. Not sure what he is going to use for technic building for the other students. At least the Rubank books are great for building up solid fundamentals.

Jim

Jim
-------------------------------
Finale 2010b, GPO4, JABB3, CoMB2
Windows 7 & XP, Core i7, 8 GB RAM, EMU 1212m soundcard

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 8/1/2010 5:24 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Jim and Flutediva,

It is important to submit a request for the Rubank book. I put in a request for some exercises omitted from Standard of Excellence Book 1 and they are included now in the 2011 edition. Squeaky wheels do get greased and more "squeaking" moves it up the list.

Jim Ortner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim OrtnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 14

Posted 8/3/2010 5:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim,

Where do we submit requests? Is this in SmartMusic or on the MakeMusic site?

Jim

Jim
-------------------------------
Finale 2010b, GPO4, JABB3, CoMB2
Windows 7 & XP, Core i7, 8 GB RAM, EMU 1212m soundcard

James Lund
SmartMusic Technical Product Manager

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LundAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 128

Posted 8/3/2010 5:49 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim,

This is done at our website in the Find Music menu, Request New Music. You can also click here:

www.smartmusic.com/FindMusic/Request.aspx

Thanks,

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

MarkTaylorTSax
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MarkTaylorTSaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/23/2010 10:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glad to hear all the support for Rubank Elementary Method. I LOVE it for flute. :D
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:57 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 388,307 posts in 57,565 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 21 new threads and 208 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 32030 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, VanessaGilbert.
26 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Vaughan