Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows > Suspended cymbal roll  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 2788

Posted Today 7:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sure I've done this before, but I can't for the life of me remember how; Is it possible to generate a suspended cymbal (soft stick) roll (tremolo) for playback, using only the softsynth as supplied in Fin2005?

I can't find any reference to it in the MIDI lists contained in the manual, and a forum search doesn't return anything. I think I must be missing something obvious here.

TIA

Gareth

Gareth J. Green

Fin2005
P4 - 3.00GHz; 1024Mb RAM; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WinXP home

Stolichnaya Blue

"Trumpet players have no use for musicianship; it's too much like having a conscience"

"We can tell when a technology has truly arrived when the new problems it gives rise to approach in magnitude the problems it was designed to solve." - Arthur Chandler, 1997

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 11/25/2005 6:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nobody?

Gareth J. Green

Fin2005

Stolichnaya Blue

"Trumpet players have no use for musicianship; it's too much like having a conscience"

"We can tell when a technology has truly arrived when the new problems it gives rise to approach in magnitude the problems it was designed to solve." - Arthur Chandler, 1997

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2720

Posted 11/25/2005 10:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gareth,

Suspended cymbal rolls with mallets are not possible with the softsynth to the best of my knowledge. You can get a roll with sticks, but it doesn't sound very good to me.

Jim Coull

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 11/26/2005 11:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Jim.

How disappointing. Loathe as I am to spend money on upgrading for the sake of one sound, can anyone confirm whether or not F2006/GPO includes Sus.Cym. Roll?

Ta,

G.

Gareth J. Green

Fin2005

Stolichnaya Blue

VitaDA
Registered Member

Click to send VitaDA email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VitaDAAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2002
Total Posts : 133

Posted 11/26/2005 12:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would have to go back and review my experience with Finale 2005, but I believe you can generate as Sus. Cym. roll - though I remember finding the quality of the sound-event inferior.

2005 has some cymbal sounds available via the Rowloff sound set that is Channel 10, program 2.
You have to use the roll features on the stem (single, double, or triple slashes through the stem) and make sure that you experiment with the HP style that enables that notation to emulate a tremelo/roll.

Of course, the inferior quality I experienced MAY NOT have been Finale generated, though I suspect it was only because Percussion is one of the "Final Frontiers" for Finale.

Good Fortune,

David
Finale 2006
Dell PC/Audigy 2 SC

David Vita
Finale 2005/06
Windows XP Laptop with Creative Soundblaster Card Insert

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 11/26/2005 12:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have experimented with various cymbal sounds in 2005, but they all suffer the same problem, ie the tremolo sounds as a series of rapid iterations of a struck cymbal, whereas the soft-stick (or timp stick) roll sound that I require is a more-or-less continuous sound, with no discernable impact sound.

I am surprised that this sound is not more readily available, being a very common percussion effect in wind/brass band scoring in my experience ...

G.

Gareth J. Green

Fin2005

Stolichnaya Blue

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 6675

Posted 11/26/2005 1:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gareth Green said...
I have experimented with various cymbal sounds in 2005, but they all suffer the same problem, ie the tremolo sounds as a series of rapid iterations of a struck cymbal, whereas the soft-stick (or timp stick) roll sound that I require is a more-or-less continuous sound, with no discernable impact sound.

I am surprised that this sound is not more readily available, being a very common percussion effect in wind/brass band scoring in my experience ...

G.

possibly because a soft-mallet roll in soft dynamic is quite a different animal from that in a loud dynamic?
I suspect it would require maneuvering through multiple samples to get, for example, a ppp roll all the way through to a fff one.
The actual sound quality of the extreme dynamics is more than just a difference between soft and loud.

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 11/26/2005 1:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
qccowboy said...

possibly because a soft-mallet roll in soft dynamic is quite a different animal from that in a loud dynamic?
I suspect it would require maneuvering through multiple samples to get, for example, a ppp roll all the way through to a fff one.
The actual sound quality of the extreme dynamics is more than just a difference between soft and loud.
Probably very true.

However, for the purposes of a simple demo I would be quite happy with a "medium" dynamic sample which would go from soft-ish to loud-ish without sounding like a rattle.

Gareth J. Green

Fin2005

Stolichnaya Blue

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, November 24, 2014 12:24 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 390,675 posts in 57,848 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 17 new threads and 176 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 32157 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Danie.
34 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Motet, Wess-Music, HBegun