Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows > move all notes in composition up an octave? (notepad)  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bachmaninof
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit bachmaninof's website.Send a Private Message to bachmaninofAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 15

Posted 5/28/2008 12:12 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there any way to select all the notes on a score and move them up one octave with one shortcut, or do I have to actually click on each note and press Shift-Up Arrow?  Thanks if anyone knows!  (this is in finale notepad)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 12370

Posted 5/28/2008 12:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In NotePad, I think you're stuck. Sorry.

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Fritz Meissner
Choir Addict

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fritz MeissnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 3235

Posted 5/28/2008 12:34 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I remember correctly, you can change the key of a piece in notepad and it will then transpose the notes accordingly. The trick is to do two transpositions so that you wind up back in the original key, but with the notes an octave higher.

Fritz

PrintMusic 2004, 2006 and 2007, Windows XP Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, P4 2.6 GHz + 1 GB
2nd Tenor Cape Town Male Voice Choir

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/28/2008 1:59 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fritz,
You are correct. I now remember hearing about that trick. Thanks.
To the OP:
This will only work for the entire piece, since NP will only change the Key Sig at the beginning. Choose the Key Signature tool, and in the dialogue box, select any new key sig, and click Move Notes Up, and OK. Repeat, with your original key sig, again moving up.
If you want to only do this for a portion of the work, you'll have to do it note by note.

Mike Rosen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1638

Posted 5/28/2008 2:43 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
If you want to only do this for a portion of the work, you'll have to do it note by note.

A trick to do the octave shift for just part of the piece:
Save your original file and make a copy.
In the copy, change the key twice to get the notes up an octave (or down)
Copy the portion you want back into your original file.

Terence
Using Finale 2003a, Windows 2000 XP Pro

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/28/2008 3:28 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good idea, Terence. Many thanks!

Mike Rosen

Per Ottar Gjerstad
Registered Member

Click to send Per Ottar Gjerstad email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Per Ottar GjerstadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 131

Posted 5/28/2008 5:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Notepad 2006 you can highlight notes with the mass edit tool and press (qwerty) 6 to raise notes one step at a time, (qwerty) 7 to lower selection one step.
This feature seems to have been removed from Notepad 2007 and 2008.

Per Ottar Gjerstad
Multinote D71
OS Win XP Home
1,8 GHz, 1 GB Ram
100 GB HD

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/28/2008 5:55 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The up and down arrows do the same thing, are are much more intuitive, I think.

Mike Rosen

bachmaninof
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit bachmaninof's website.Send a Private Message to bachmaninofAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 15

Posted 5/29/2008 9:15 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks a lot! that worked great :-)
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 02, 2014 7:29 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 384,496 posts in 57,145 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 35 new threads and 344 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 31824 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Emma Behr.
36 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Percival Hoselton-Maniago, Gareth Green