Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows > Playback controls in finale 2011  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Builder
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BuilderAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 54

Posted 9/25/2010 8:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can someone tell me why my playback controls do not seem to be working properly in my finale 2011?  When I hit "pause" it just stops the playback.  Also the buttons ff, ff to end, rewind, and rewind to beginning all do the same thing; which is they all rewind to the beginning.  How do I correct this?  As usual, thank you in advance.

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1592

Posted 9/25/2010 8:49 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This comes up constantly. It's a bug. If you turn off HP, the problem goes away. MM agrees there's a problem, but it never gets fixed. The workaround is to go into playback settings and check "Start playback at current measure."

Maybe if everyone bothered by it would file a case with MM, they would get tired of responding to it and fix it.

Finale 2010b, GPO 4, JABB 3, Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Click to send warrenbarnett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to warrenbarnettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 1441

Posted 9/25/2010 8:54 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The fast forward used to move the playback forward one measure everytime that you clicked it. Now, it moves the "Start playback from measure: " forward one measure. Not the way that it should work in my opinion.

Warren Barnett

Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01,
Jazz & Big Band
Jazz & Big Band 2
Jazz & Big Band 3
Concert & Marching Band
Concert & Marching Band 2 
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

Builder
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BuilderAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 54

Posted 9/25/2010 9:17 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wlgold:

Thanks, checking "Start playback at current measure" fixed it.

COBI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to COBIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 237

Posted 9/26/2010 9:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me where the current wishlist is for Finale enhancements?

I am very much a keyboard shortcut kinda guy--computer keyboard, that is. I like to use keyboard shortcuts for all kinds of things, and I would love to be able to use keyboard shortcuts to start, stop, pause, etc. playback in Finale. But so far, I am unaware of any such keyboard shortcuts.

Which leads me to my second wishlist item: The ability to customize keyboard shortcuts. Many other programs that I use on a regular basis offer the use the ability to assign their own keyboard shortcuts to program functions, or to customize and change existing keyboard shortcuts. I am not aware of any such capability in Finale.

I would add these wishlist items to the current list, but I couldn't find it. Can anybody tell me where it is these days? (I think it used to be in the blue section at the top of the Windows forum home page.)

FWIW,
Chuck

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com
My setup: Windows XP (Home); CPU 2.8 GHz; 2GB RAM; Finale 2011

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Click to send warrenbarnett email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to warrenbarnettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 9/26/2010 11:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the regular posters started a thread a while ago, and a bunch of us posted our requests. After a few weeks of accumulation, he submitted the requests to MakeMusic. You could check it out and see if anything there yanks your crank, or you could start your own wishlist.

EDIT: Aaarrrggghhh!!! Now I can't find it.

Warren Barnett

Jazz & Big Band
Jazz & Big Band 2
Jazz & Big Band 3
Concert & Marching Band

Post Edited (warrenbarnett) : 9/26/2010 11:00:41 PM (GMT-5)

Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 10619

Posted 9/27/2010 3:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
COBI said...
Many other programs that I use on a regular basis offer the use the ability to assign their own keyboard shortcuts to program functions, or to customize and change existing keyboard shortcuts. I am not aware of any such capability in Finale.

Look up "meta-tools" in the Help files. You can assign keystrokes to the tools on the mail palette, to all the articulations and expressions, and switch between Smart Shapes, etc. etc. You can also create simple Finalescripts, and assign them keystrokes.

On the other side, setting keystrokes for menu items is a system feature; it's not something that each program would bother with. Does Windows not let you set keystrokes for menu items?

Failing that, there are also thirdparty "macro" utilities.

Finale 2011, 2009c, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.6.4
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 572

Posted 9/27/2010 4:39 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
you can program keyboard shortcuts here: Plug-ins / TG Tools / Menu Shortcuts / Add

Finale 97 - 2005, 2008, 2009b, 2011, Cubase Essential 4, Pro Tools 8, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro, M-Audio 49+25 Keystations, Korg NANOkey

COBI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to COBIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/27/2010 9:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Wiggy and mm. I will check out your suggestions as soon as I can.

In the meantime, do either of your suggestions apply to playback controls, at least to Start Playback and Stop Playback?

Chuck

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 572

Posted 9/28/2010 2:04 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Plug-ins / TG Tools / Menu Shortcuts / Add
Select a key or combination
Select Menu Command - MIDI/Audio, then you have a choice in the next field for Start and Stop Playback

Finale 97 - 2005, 2008, 2009b, 2011, Cubase Essential 4, Pro Tools 8, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro, M-Audio 49+25 Keystations, Korg NANOkey

COBI
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/29/2010 11:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Excellent, thanks! I'll definitely check into it. Thanks for the tip!!

Chuck

P.S. I just took a look at it, and this plug-in is wonderful. I didn't even know it existed, though I have had the TG Tools plug-ins installed for years. Makes me wonder what other wonderful plug-ins and features I've been missing out on (mostly because I don't have a lot of time to just play...).

Thanks again and again!!

Chuck Beck
Swan-Cross, Ltd.
www.swan-cross.com

Post Edited (COBI) : 9/29/2010 10:39:54 PM (GMT-5)

Dtonks754
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dtonks754AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/27/2010 7:50 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've searched through every menu to find "playback settings", but I still cant find them. I'm having the same problems with playback. Suggestions?

warrenbarnett
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 10/27/2010 7:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which program, and year, are you using?

Warren Barnett

Jazz & Big Band
Jazz & Big Band 2
Jazz & Big Band 3
Concert & Marching Band

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 7227

Posted 10/28/2010 9:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dtonks754 said...
I've searched through every menu to find "playback settings", but I still cant find them. I'm having the same problems with playback. Suggestions?
Click on the icon that looks like a speaker.

Ron, composer
www.RonaldJBrown.com

Finale 2011a with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0,
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM
Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums http://www.composeforums.com/forum/Default.asp
Where composers come together to discuss music. Check it out.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, October 24, 2014 7:15 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 388,479 posts in 57,590 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 34 new threads and 222 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 32039 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, JAT.
40 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
SF