Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows > Percussion Playback - Wind Chimes (Finale 2011)  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ASCap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ASCap's website.Send a Private Message to ASCapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 28

Posted 11/26/2011 4:53 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey everyone! I'm having an issue adding percussion sounds to existing percussion layouts. Specifically, I am trying to add wind chimes (a.k.a. mark tree) to the "auxiliary percussion" layout (I'm using the GPO wind chimes sound). It shows up on the list of sounds, but when I play it back, it's either completely silent, or it plays a tambourine sound. When I add it to the general orchestral percussion layout, it plays back as a cymbal.

Additionally, I have tried using the cymbal coin scrape sound & that plays back as some random cymbal crash or suspended cymbal hit. While you're reading this, is there a good way to create nice-sounding cymbal rolls? The default sus. cym. roll is obnoxious and I have not had any success using the alternative "long" and "short" suspended cymbal rolls.

Many things I can do correctly in Finale, but percussion, for the most part, has been quite mysterious to me.

Thanks so much if you're able to help!

Finale '11 | Win 7 64-bit

composer & pianist

SDG

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 24186

Posted 11/26/2011 5:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mystery to most everyone.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012 Soon?

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1598

Posted 11/26/2011 5:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
According to MakeMusic, there is nothing wrong with percussion. If you file a case directly with them, in addition to addressing your particular problem, it may provide impetus to fix whatever it is that isn't working in the program, even if it's just the Help File.

Finale 2010b, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/26/2011 5:33 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, there are problems, and only some of them have been addressed in 2012, but officially, not all.

Zuill

P.S.: Here's a file that was set up with the wizard. I chose Wind Chimes and Bell Tree. Notice that one plays as a tambourine and one a wind chime. I don't know of any other wind chime available with any of the sets included with finale. And, if the tambourine is the correct sound for Wind Chims, then I guess Finale percussion is working perfectly.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/26/2011 3:37:30 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Wind Chime or Bell Tree.mus   41KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 157 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 1502

Posted 11/26/2011 7:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill: I think Wigold was kidding about the lack of Percussion problems.

ASCap: I agree with the suggestion to contact Support at MakeMusic: not only will they likely be able to give you step-by-step instructions as they did when I had trouble accessing the Claves; your message will (as Wigold said) be one more logged indication that Percussion needs attention.

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full

ASCap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ASCap's website.Send a Private Message to ASCapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 11/27/2011 10:44 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Zuill and Derrek, I'll be certain to contact Support. The bell tree did sound like a bell tree for me, but I'll ask about the wind chimes.

composer & pianist

SDG

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 11/28/2011 1:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never actually managed to get my (real) windchimes to play exactly what I've notated in a score ...

Brian

ASCap
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 12/6/2011 8:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It all makes sense now. The option is available, but they taunt you by not actually including the sample. Take a gander at my findings...

From MakeMusic Customer Support:

---

Thanks for the excerpt. For the Wind Chimes, the issue is that you are using Garritan Instruments for Finale, which does not actually include this type of patch. Probably the best option is to substitute a different sound from the SmartMusic SoftSynth. Try this:

1. Go to the MIDI/Audio Menu > Instrument Setup > VST Instruments. In the third bank, load the SmartMusic SoftSynth. Close this.
2. Go to the Window Menu > Instrument List. Scroll down to the Aux. Percussion staff and change it's channel to 42. In the Percussion Map column, select SmartMusic SoftSynth > Basic Orchestral Percussion. Close this.
3. Choose the Selection tool and highlight those measures. Go to the Utilities Menu > Transpose Percussion Notes.
4. Select the Wind Chime and from the drop down menu below select Auxiliary, then Bell Tree. This appears to be the closest match available. Click OK.

---

Argh. Bell tree is not the same as mark tree. Ah well.

composer & pianist

SDG

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/6/2011 8:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is no Basic Orchestral Percussion in the Softsynth Maps. There is in Garritan. Somebody's as confused at MM as the rest of us who struggle through the redesigned percussion system.

Zuill

P.S.: I think the file I posted as a sample had exactly what they are trying to get you to. However, there is only an Orchestral Percussion choice there, which is what my sample had.

ASCap
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2011

Posted 12/23/2011 7:26 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
good news. after another reply:

Thanks for the update. I can see how that would cause some confusion. There are some sounds available in the list that are available in the SoftSynth sounds, and for ones that are not included in the Garritan Instruments, the sounds are substituted for an approximate sound. I'll see if I can have the developers work on this for future versions. The issue with the cymbals could be a similar issue, but I think your method is the best to workaround the playback problems. I'll pass that information along as well.

composer & pianist

SDG

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2011 8:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good luck getting the developers to fix it.

Zuill

Nathan Berger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nathan BergerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 227

Posted 12/25/2011 2:54 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's probably a little late for this, but....

That link is helpful to discover the sounds actually in the program despite the odd percussion mapping.  Notice that the only sound that actually has wind chimes is the Brush Drumset, a Garritan sound.  The developers should have written the default percussion maps adhering to this list.  There is a link to a video which goes in depth in this topic a few post back from here, I recommend you find that and use it.  It explains percussion mapping very well, which is the key problem for Finale percussion.

If you want a wind chimes sound (this is putting it simply), add it to the map in the Edit Percussion MIDI maps in the MIDI/Audio menu, then add it to the map in the score manager or whatever Finale 2011 uses.  This should only work for the Brush Drumset patch. 

If you don't want to use that map but only need it for a part of the song, I recommend figuring out how to double percussion MIDI maps in Layers.  I still don't quite understand this, but it's worth a shot.

Hope that helps. 

Jazz Drummer - Bassist - Percussionist - Composer/Arranger

PrintMusic 2011; Finale 2012; SmartMusic 2012

Lenovo G650 w/ external 24" monitor

Windows 7

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 12567

Posted 12/25/2011 3:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nathan,

Based on your name, and the fact that you and I seem to be the only ones around today, Happy Chanukah!

(Nothing else to add to the thread; just thought you might like the company!)

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Still happily on Windows XP, SP3

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Nathan Berger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nathan BergerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 227

Posted 12/25/2011 6:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, but I celebrate Christmas, not Chanukah. It is pretty empty here today. I just got the new update today as well, so more holiday cheer for me.

Jazz Drummer - Bassist - Percussionist - Composer/Arranger

PrintMusic 2011; Finale 2012a; SmartMusic 2012

Lenovo G650 w/ external 24" monitor

Windows 7

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, November 01, 2014 8:11 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 389,079 posts in 57,658 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 25 new threads and 209 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 32070 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, rsurface.
29 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Gareth Green, michelp, Dan Powers