Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows > Finale 2014 and Garritan issue  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

sinfonia98
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to sinfonia98AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 12

Posted 11/23/2013 1:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just upgraded to Finale 2014 and Garritan Marching Band 2. 

I'm in the middle of writing some music and I have the piccolo part playing divided notes on the same staff.  But only the top notes are sounding on playback.  As far as I know, this is the only instrument that is having this issue.   

Never had this problem with Finale 2008 and Garritan Marching Band before. 

Is there a new setting I'm not aware of or a bug not yet patched?  Thanks. 

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 7355

Posted 11/23/2013 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you pick "piccolo solo" from CoMB you get only one voice; if you pick "piccolo group solo KS" you get multiple voices. It's always been this way, though the default might have changed.

Finale 2014 with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

sinfonia98
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to sinfonia98AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 11/23/2013 11:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went and checked, but Piccolo Solo is the only option.  But I distinctly remember using instruments before that were labeled as "solo" and writing divided parts and having the chord sound both on input and playback.  Bass clarinet in the old Garritan marching band comes to mind. 

Any other suggestions?

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 88

Posted 11/23/2013 11:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use the Piccolo solo KS in GPO4, and have no issues with 2-part harmony with that, but it's the only way I can think of. Do you have GPO4 available? If not, then perhaps a second staff would be the best solution. Also, I think that you should be able to write your second line as a separate layer in the single staff, then voice the second layer to a different channel in ARIA, but I have never actually tried it, so I can't be sure.

K M Frye

Finale 2012c, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, JABB3

M-Audio

Boss JS8

Roland VS2480 portable studio (4sale)

Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas

Rhodes 660 workstation

Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works)

Roland VS2480 mobile digital recording studio - currently 4sale

Reaper 4.32

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/24/2013 10:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are using CoMB, as stated in your original post, then the attached image shows are the piccolos available. Piccolo-Group-Solo are the ones that support multi-voices. Piccolo Solo does not.

PS. GPO4 is irrelevant. The poster already stated he is using Garritan Concert and Marching Band.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
CoMB piccolo.png
  41KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 42 time(s).

sinfonia98
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 11/24/2013 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Ron, that screen shot helped a lot.  I just wish that was an option when setting up the score, but it's nice to know that it can be changed once in the file. 

Just one last question, I haven't tested it yet but I was looking through those menus and for the instruments that have no group option like the bass clarinets, English horns, contra bass reeds, will I have the same palyback issues? 

Like I stated before, in my old setup I don't remember ever having those issues when writing divided parts for any of those instruments. 

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/24/2013 12:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The only way to know for sure is to test each one.

sinfonia98
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 11/24/2013 1:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just tested it for my bass clarinets......no play. 

I'm hoping its a bug that will be worked out.  I know this was not a problem with the first CMB for Garritan.  And the only option for the bass clarinets was solo. 

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/24/2013 1:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There was a setting in the Kontakt player (which was the player for the first version of CoMB) to control the polyphony settings, so you could change this sort of thing. Such a control does not appear to be there in the Aria player. I don't recall if it ever was, but I can't find it in the current version.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:52 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 392,193 posts in 58,029 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 24 new threads and 134 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 32247 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Fly killer.
21 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details