Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh > Finale 2010 compatibility with Snow Leopard  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Joe Coleman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joe ColemanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 7

Posted 9/2/2009 12:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,
I checked on the forums and saw the post that stated that Finale 2010 is pretty much compatible with Snow Leopard. So I proceeded to install the 10.6 update on my Macbook Pro (Intel 2.5 mhz processors, 4 gigs of Ram... pretty much full blown Macbook Pro, less than 1 year old).

Well the first thing that happened is that all the fonts came up screwy. I reinstalled the fonts (from the Font Pack 304 that Finale sent me). This didn't fix the problem.

The next "fix" was to remove the duplicate fonts via Font Book. Again, didn't fix the problem.

The next "fix" was to disable the fonts. Launch Finale. Then quit Finale, enable the fonts, and launch it again. Again, same problem.

My questions are:
1. Why was it posted on this site that there were no issues with Snow Leopard? I know the golden master was out almost 2 weeks before the shipping date of last Friday.
2. Am I the only one experiencing this problem. I had a technical support person tell me that this was an isolated problem, and that I was the only one experiencing it. I find that hard to believe. I think he was just covering his butt.

And finally, if you need to use Finale in your work (I work for a church and need to produce documents for my choirs each week) I suggest that you do NOT install Snow Leopard. Or if you do (or have) perhaps now is the time to consider migrating to another program.

Joe Coleman
off to the Sibelius site to find out more

Post Edited By Moderator (Forum Admin) : 2/9/2010 12:30:32 PM (GMT-6)

Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 10339

Posted 9/2/2009 1:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe

Welcome to the forum. You will find that computers can suffer all kinds of problems as they add new software. There are many posts on general Mac forums by people whose Safari, Photoshop, Word, etc, etc, doesn't work, while most others do not have the same problem.

So, yes, as no one else has reported this issue, you may be the only one experiencing it. Although I understand your frustration, running to another app is not the answer, as you may have the same or different problems with that.

1. Please can you clarify "the fonts came up screwy"? A screenshot would be useful. Do you see & and œ character?
2. Do the fonts appear in any other program's font menu, e.g TextEdit?
3. Are the fonts in /Library/Fonts folder? Make sure you only have one set, ie. either Postscript or TrueType. Make sure you don't have duplicates in your user account's font folder, ~/Library/Fonts.
4. Create a brand new user account. Does the problem persist? Note: this is a test, not a solution!
5. Do you have any software installed in /Library/InputManagers ? Any Unsanity software, system hacks or patches?

At least with the latest version of Finale, you stand a reasonable chance that any reproducible bugs with 10.6 will be sorted out in an update to Finale.

Finale 2009c, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.8, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 9/2/2009 12:29:20 PM (GMT-5)

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 4712

Posted 9/2/2009 1:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> Am I the only one experiencing this problem?

I have not used 2010 all that much, but I certainly don't have the problem of fonts showing up incorrectly.

Bill

Finale 2009c (have 2010 but not using it)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil
OS 10.6

musicofnote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicofnote's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 490

Posted 9/2/2009 2:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't have Fin 2010, but do have the latest, greatest 2009. I just installed Snow Leo on my MacBook - am NOT doing so on my main production machine, my 24" iMac.

Anyway, I had the same font problems. Up until now, I'd had both the PS and the TT fonts install and had NEVER had a problem with this set up. After installing Snow Leo, the music fonts came up wrong. When I say wrong, I mean NOT Maestro Wide as I'd had them before updating, but with other characters. I could change them to Engraver, but I don't like Engraver.

Ok, I then got my 2009 DVD and reinstalled just the fonts. No joy. I then opend font Book and let it resolve the duplicates. No joy. I then used Font Book to delete all Maestro, Engraver, Seville, Petrucci and Jazz fonts. Then I reinstalled just the fonts. Limited joy. After emptying the trash, I could open 2008 files in 2009 and 2009 files in 2009, but both programs crash when I tried to do anything, even just looking at the file.

I then rebooted the computer in safe mode and then once again normally. Now I can work again. Rebooting in safe mode in Leo emptyed the font cache along with some other stuff. Maybe it does this in Snow Leo too.

As always, your mileage will vary. At anyrate, I have to keep my MacBook on the bleeding edge, but the iMac is my production machine and I will update that at 10.6.2 or so.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
IT-Support / EDV-Coordination
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and
(formerly) Music of Note - Music Notation Workshop
http://www.music-of-note.ch

------------
1-MacBook w/2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, OS 10.5.7, XP SP3, Windows 7 RC
1-iMac 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.5.7, XP SP3
1-Mac Intel MacMini 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5.7 Server (OD Master)
1-Mac Powerbook G3 (Kanga) Mac OS 9.1 and fun legacy software
1-Mac Powerbook 3400c Mac OS 8 and more fun legacy software
1-IBM ThinkPad T-30 w/1.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM XP SP3

Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/2/2009 2:13 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For what it's worth, I have updated my MacBook to Snow Leopard, and I have no trouble with fonts on 2009. I use only the PS fonts.

My iMac is my main machine, and that's staying on Leopard until M-Audio release new drivers or comment on 10.6. (So, February, then. eyes )

Finale 2009c, 2Ghz iMac, MacBook, OS X 10.5.8, M-Audio Audiophile USB
M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

musicofnote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicofnote's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/2/2009 2:18 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I forgot to mention - I only installed the TrueType fonts, not the PS fonts. I'll have to see how that works when making PDFs

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 9/2/2009 2:39 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe,

I have only TrueType on my machine; Wiggy has only Postscript. Do you have just one of the fonts, or both?

Bill

OS 10.6

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/2/2009 2:58 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, now the problem is, that on this Snow Leopard machine, both fin 2008 and 2009 fold up after a few seconds, if I try to open a file created in Finale 2008. It would appear, that files created in Finale 2009 are not effected. If I take a Fin 2008 file from the iMac and save it there in Fin2009, it will work ok on the MacBook with Snow Leo. That is a real PITA. I do suppose that this will be addressed by either MM or Apple after the necessary "it's not our fault, it's there's" exchanges.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

Joe Coleman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joe ColemanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 9/2/2009 4:04 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My system configuration:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.28f2
Serial Number (system): W88470HP3R8
Hardware UUID: 15823D2B-40E3-59F5-8783-B2D9BBBB9BED
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I installed 2010 from a fresh DVD, just purchased it two weeks ago. Installed and worked properly under Leopard. I did have to reinstall the fonts from the 304 installer provided by MakeMusic. This fixed the problem under Leopard. Then after installing Snow Leopard it has gone totallh to crap. I have removed finale completely reinstalled it from the original DVD, re authorized it, tryed reinstalling the fonts from the 304 updater. I also went into Font Book and removed all the duplicate fonts. No luck. I get triangles for note heads, an ampersand for the treble clef (Hey! Theres a good thing! At least it has a similar shape). FInale suggested disabling the fonts from Font Book, then launching FInale, ignoring the "Fonts not installed message," creating a default document, then quitting and reenabling the fonts, then launching Finale. I scoffed at this, they said it MIGHT fix the problem. No fix. So they have had me spinning my wheels with these suggestions. Maybe a greenie would beneefit from waisting his time doing these exercises in futility. The only thing they didn't have me do is stand on one foot, wave my hands in the air and exclaim "expecto patronum." Maybe that's next.

Joe Coleman
Frustrated as $*%)&#$*
Studium Musicorum
Alexandria, LA

The only thing more fun than dealing with this problem is going to bed hungry. No wait, the only thing more fun than dealing with the problem is PINK EYE.
J

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 9/2/2009 5:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe,

Are you signed into your Mac as administrator?

Did you try Wiggy's tests?

Bill

OS 10.6

Philip.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Philip.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1307

Posted 9/2/2009 5:27 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe,

I know it's frustrating, but take a deep breath man -- Finale is not the only app reportedly behaving strangely under Snow Leopard. In fact, some of Apple's own Apps such as iWork are having similar problems - see here:

ask.metafilter.com/131463/Really-weird-Snow-Leopard-font-problem

Just Google "font problems snow leopard" for other font-related problems.

You might try a font cache cleaner - you can get LinoType Explorer free for 30 days here

www.fontexplorerx.com/

If you download this, try deleting "Application Font Caches" and "System Font Caches" followed by a restart.

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 12:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FIn 2008 is dead in the water on my 10.6 MacBook. I can, funny enough, open a start template adn work with that until I go to save it, then it crashes. Once it has been saved, neither 2009 nor 2008 will re-open it - crashes immediately.

If I take a file I created with 2008 or earlier, open it in 2009 and IMMEDIATELY hit cmd-shift-s, I can save to another folder, but it crashes immediately upon having been saved. It will however open in 2009 and I can work on it, save it again without it further crashing in 2009. A temporary work-around at best.

I'm getting a couple of white MacBooks back from having been borrowed. Will install Fin 2008 & 2009 on then, apply current updates. Install my music fonts and see if they behave the same way. This will be next week however.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 12:35 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
P.S. - disabling all non MM music fonts did not help the situation.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 1:36 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I might be onto something, at least for a (grrrr) workaround. When I set up a test user with Admin privileges, both programs 2008 & 2009) worked seemingly as before and fonts seemed ok. This leads me to believe, that the two don't like something in my normal user profile. I tried locking the preference files create on this test profile and moving them over to my normal profile without luck. I've also deleted ALL user caches, both using MainMenu and by rolling up my sleeves and manually delteing them. No luck. I've also disabled some known trouble makers such as Default Folder and Growl. Still no luck in my main profile.

Next steps will be to start once again in safe mode and see if the two more or less work. Another idea would be to work from this test profile using fast user switching, so that I can still do stuff like surf, email, fb etc. Of course the test profile hasn't any of my myriad extra music fonts (which I'd already tried deactivating to no positive effect), nor any of the other pretty fonts I sometimes use. the problem could lie with any of those or none. Still difficult to ay at this point. will keep y'all posted and will gladly accept any suggestions - today is my day off and I've got a cold, so what else do I have to keep me occupied?

;-)

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/3/2009 2:37 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe Coleman said...
Maybe a greenie would benefit from wasting his time doing these exercises in futility.

Whereas a veteran would be happy to run through systematic troubleshooting steps, such as the ones that I have outlined, in order to get the problem fixed.
Please try the suggestions and answer the questions that I have made in my previous post.
Also, are you running an admin or standard user account?
Clearing the font cache would be a good idea. There are lots of ways to do this. However, I would avoid using a third party font program, as these will not be Snow Leopard-ready either.
You may want to follow the steps in the article:
www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03/fontcacheclear.html

Finale 2009c, 2Ghz iMac, 10.5.8; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.6.0
M-Audio Audiophile USB; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jeff Hamburg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeff Hamburg's website.Send a Private Message to Jeff HamburgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 1171

Posted 9/3/2009 3:07 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe,

I had what seems to be the same problem as you had when I updated to Snow Leopard. I tried the same things with the Font Book, trying to resolve conflicts, all to no avail. What solved the problem for me was to remove the duplicate fonts from the font folder and everything worked perfectly immediately after that. It would seem to me that the problem was that there were two types of fonts with the same name and that Snow Leopard does not recognize the difference. In other words, you can't have Maestro TT and Maestro PS on the same machine in the font folder.

Jeff Hamburg

MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6, Finale 2.0.1 --->2010, 4 gb ram, 23" Cinema Display, EWQLSO Silver Play, Edirol USB Audio Interface UA-1ex, Kontakt3, M-Audio Keystation88es

Scott Hirsch (Coach)
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Scott Hirsch (Coach)Click to Add drumscotth to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 424

Posted 9/3/2009 3:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe Coleman said...
My questions are:
1. Why was it posted on this site that there were no issues with Snow Leopard? I know the golden master was out almost 2 weeks before the shipping date of last Friday.
2. Am I the only one experiencing this problem. I had a technical support person tell me that this was an isolated problem, and that I was the only one experiencing it. I find that hard to believe. I think he was just covering his butt.

And finally, if you need to use Finale in your work (I work for a church and need to produce documents for my choirs each week) I suggest that you do NOT install Snow Leopard. Or if you do (or have) perhaps now is the time to consider migrating to another program.

Joe. Sorry you are having issues with Snow Leopard/Finale compatibility. We want to help you any way we can.

It was posted on our site that there were a few issues with Snow Leopard that were seen when Finale was tested in-house at the time. Those were clearly stated on the forum as to what the issues were - and what could be done. Unfortunately, when initially testing, this font issue may not have been seen. As stated in earlier posts, MakeMusic does not promise support until it can verify that it has the latest build and run through some tests. This was done when Snow Leopard was released. Googling "Snow Leopard Font Problems" brings back quite a few results, and isn't surprising since there were new fonts added in 10.6 as well as other changes regarding how fonts are handled.

We are trying hard to rectify any issues that we are finding with 10.6, and we apologize for any inconvenience any are having. Right now, this statement of Snow Leopard support only stands for Finale 2010. I will verify any earlier versions and see if we can post something here regarding 2009 and earlier support on Snow Leopard.

Something to keep in mind if anyone is thinking about switching to 10.6 during a project -

While I worked in Tech Support, it was never a suggestion to switch to a new version in the middle of a project, or switch to a new OS in the middle of a project with a version of Finale. It also would not be my recommendation to jump into a new version of Finale before issues (like those that were stated) are worked out with the new version - especially if your position requires fast turnaround of music - and the possibility for issues was medium to high.

That being said -

Joe -are there TT and PS versions of the same fonts on your computer? This will cause issues. If so, remove one version and see if this helps.

Also, where is the icon for your Finale? If on the Desktop, was it dragged there from the Applications/Finale 2010 folder? If so, this probably removed the .app file from the Finale 2010 directory and it will need to be placed back in this location in order to run properly. Sometimes this process isn't enough and it needs to be completely re-installed and left to be installed where it defaults to. If you were also getting errors about Font Annotation Files missing, this could also be the issue. This is something that I used to always check when hearing about font error messages...you'd be surprised at how many were caused by dragging the .app file out of the folder to the desktop. It doesn't make a shortcut like it does on Windows. I only ask this since you mentioned getting errors of this sort.

Please be patient as Tech Support works with you to try to resolve the issue that you are seeing. They would like to see you using the program successfully and I am positive that, if they say that they have not heard very much of this (that it is isolated), they would be telling you the truth as they know it.

Let's take a deep breath and work together to try to come up with a resolution. If anyone else is having these font issues, please report them to Tech Support so the can track these appropriately if the given solutions do not work.. Thanks! Let me know if anyone needs help submitting a support case. I am happy to assist.

Scott Hirsch
MakeMusic Forum Assistance
-------------------------------------------
iMac G5 1.8GHz 2GB RAM OSX 10.4.11
iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.4
MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.4
Finale 2005-2010
Kontakt 2,3
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5.1
Zero-G Nostalgia
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Sibelius 2-5.2

Joe Coleman
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 9/3/2009 10:42 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for all the help. I still feel that I am the consumer; I am not the one that should be doing the troubleshooting "after the fact." That's what we pay Make Music good money for for this software. That being said, I'll answer the inquiries that have been posted.

I am logged on to my computer as the administrator. As a matter of fact I am the only user. There are no other user accounts. When I install software I install it with the option to be used by "all users."

The Finale 2010 application resides in a Finale 2010 folder that the installer created in my Applications folder. The appllication has not been moved. I am getting no error messages concernig fonts. I am however getting strange characters -- different from what I have gotten in the past. I get an ampersand for the Treble clef sign. I get triangles for the note heads.

I have added a finale launch icon to my dock.

I have never had both TT and PS fonts on my computer. I have only the TT fonts installed. When I removed 2010 and reinstalled it, I used cleanapp to remove the support files so that the installation would start fresh. I did notice multiple fonts via Font Book after my reinstallation of the Font Pack 304 (in a vain attempt to reconcile the problem). I disabled the multiple fonts, and then removed them, leaving only one copy of each TT font.

I will reiterate. I ONLY installed Snow Leopard after checking the forums here, which stated that Finale 2010 and Snow Leopard were "pretty much" compatible. I should have looked closely at those technical terms: "Pretty much," and realized what was being written between the lines.

And thanks for the heads up that other applications are having font issues. I wish I could say that that news is comforting. Its more of an excuse. See the previous paragraph.

Joe Coleman
Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.6 (damn it)
Finale 2010

Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/3/2009 10:47 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe

Again, I say:
1. Have you tried clearing the font cache?
2. Have you tried creating a new user account and seeing if the problem persists. This is a very useful diagnostic test.

Leonard,

I don't have any problem opening 2007 files in 2009 on Snow Leopard.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Joe Coleman
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 9/3/2009 11:18 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes I have cleared the font cache.

Yes I have created a new user.

Neither yielded any results except to be additional exercises in futility.

You keep stating that you don"t have this problem. But near as I can tell you are NOT using 2010. There's obviouly some difference between 2009c and 2010.

Joe Coleman
sent from my iPhone 3G-S

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 11:33 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy,

I'm almost certain, that this is a problem in my profile. What I've just now done is given my complete DATA folder, in which all my music files reside, AFP R&W permissions to my test user. When working via Fast User Switching in the "test" profile, I can open any file in Fin2009 (made in 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008), work on it save and close.

If I'm working in my "normal" profile, I can keep Fin 2009 open long enough to do a shift/cmd-s to save it in 2009 format. I cannot use Fin 2008.

After having dumped ALL caches, both system and user ones in my normal profile, seeing that I only have PS fonts installed (decided to go with them instead of TTs), checked for corrupt preference files, the only solution I can see now is to step by step transfer all my data, preference, template and necessary "stuff" over to this new profile and be done with it. It bugs me more than a tad to not be able to actually fix the problem, since it needs to be found. The error reports generated by 10.6 are going off to Apple (new, the go automatically), but I don't really understand the programmer language in them, moreover, what I as a lowly support-geek could actually do about it.

I've been relatively lucky up to now with system upgrades. This is the first itme I've been bitten in this way. If I didn't have so mch mission critical stuff install on the MacBook, I'd be tempted to simply wipe and do a fresh install of everything, but I have a 500GB harddrive in there with about 350 GB full.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

Jeff Hamburg
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeff Hamburg's website.Send a Private Message to Jeff HamburgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 1171

Posted 9/3/2009 11:52 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just for the heck of it, try changing your default music font under Document/Set Default Music Font. If you have Petrucci, Engraver, Broadway Copyist, Jazz, whatever. See if one of those fonts will work. If it does, then you can isolate the fonts that don't work. Otherwise, you know it is a deeper problem.

Just a thought....

Jeff Hamburg

MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.6, Finale 2.0.1 --->2010, 4 gb ram, 23" Cinema Display, EWQLSO Silver Play, Edirol USB Audio Interface UA-1ex, Kontakt3, M-Audio Keystation88es

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 11:53 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
P.S. - just started the MacBook in Safe Mode, which, if I'm not mistaken disables all but the necessary start daemons, both in the system and the user profile. Fin 2009 still crashes when trying to open older version's files. Just for those keeping score.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/3/2009 12:35 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Joe Coleman said...
Yes I have cleared the font cache.
Yes I have created a new user.
Neither yielded any results except to be additional exercises in futility.

Not true. They yield very useful information, but you seem to prefer wallowing in misery rather than solving your problem. Cheer up, I'm trying to help you! :p

1. Have you rebooted in safe mode? (Hold down shift immediately after power up.)

Joe Coleman said...
You keep stating that you don"t have this problem. But near as I can tell you are NOT using 2010. There's obviouly some difference between 2009c and 2010.

True, but you are the first to complain of this problem in 2010 in 10.6. Actually, I have only mentioned my situation once, in response to Leonard, who has problems with 2009 on 10.6.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

musicofnote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2001

Posted 9/3/2009 2:42 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
... and 2008 in 10.6, but only in my main profile. I've now deleted all start objects and turned off all my "User" fonts in my main profile. Now both 2009 and 2008 are showing signs of sporadic stability. I've not yet been able to nail down under exactly which situations a crash occurs and when not. Complexity of material doesn't seem to play a role in it at all. Simple childre's songs crash whereas complex graphic notation files don't. Some files made in just about every version back to 2003 crash, others don't.

Quite a vexing problem.

greetings

Leonard Cecil, ACSA
Ethnological Seminar
University Zürich
Switzerland

and

------------

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:28 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 381,163 posts in 56,802 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 16 new threads and 136 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 31663 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, David Larrick.
26 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
SPUD, michelp