Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh > How do you add or delete instruments?  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

NixArt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NixArtAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 2/5/2010 1:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was working on a score for a short film and I needed to add another instrument after a little wave of inspiration, you know what I'm talking about, but I searched and searched and could find no way possible to add an instrument staff to the score. You could certainly edit an instrument and add ones to your instrument list, but it would not add them to their own staves. I ended up having to copy the whole thing and start a new document. I've had to do this several times since and it is a very tedious process. I'm sure this, the general public, has much more of a grasp on this software than I do, so how do I add or delete an instrument staff from my score?

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 11972

Posted 2/5/2010 1:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the article Adding a New Instrument, at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 4622

Posted 2/5/2010 1:31 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> could find no way possible to add an instrument staff

Staff > New Staves

Are you using Finale 2010?

Bill

Finale 2010b
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil
OS 10.6.2

Musically Motivated
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Musically MotivatedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/9/2011 6:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi there, a trick that someone taught me for Finale that many people may not be aware of (mind you, I'm speaking from a Windows viewpoint, but I'm assuming with this it works the same for both versions), is that if you click the different buttons (the quick tool buttons), then the menu bar at the top changes it's headings, sometimes giving you more specific access to certain things.  To add or delete an instrument staff into or out of your work, first click the "staff tool" quick tool button, then your menu choices at the top change.  From here, click on the menu button called "staff".  Now you have a drop down menu that lets you delete, add, or add with the startup wizard any instruments you originally have access to with the startup wizard.  It will reformat to fit it in and everything automatically.

Note: if "delete staves" is not available for you to click (it will be on the drop down menu, but might be greyed out/inaccessable,) you simply have to go back down to your work and click one bar on the staff you wish to delete.  Then it will let you delete it.

The big idea here is: if you can't find a function you need (especially one that you swear you've used before), click on the quick tool buttons first and watch for the menu changes.  It opens up a whole new world of choices.

Post Edited (Musically Motivated) : 8/9/2011 5:54:45 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 22855

Posted 8/9/2011 8:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What can a or cannot be added will depend on the program. If it is Notepad, you can't add staves after the file is created.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:47 AM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 375,616 posts in 56,121 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 26 new threads and 148 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 31354 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, 7ur7le.
24 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Eisengrim