Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh > Unmetered music  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Misha D
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Misha DAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/10/2011 1:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am working with Orthodox Liturgical music, much of which is unmetered. I found I can kludge each measure by assigning an oddball time signature, such as 19/4. However, this still displays on the score and is distracting and unnecessary. Is there a way to:

A. compose unmetered music
or
B. not display the time signature.

Thanks for any help!

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 4715

Posted 1/10/2011 1:15 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What program are you using?

I do what you describe all the time on liturgical music.

In short, I over-fill the measures then run the plug-in JW Time Signature which figures out the correct time signature, and set Time Signature to not show in Staff Attributes.

Bill

Finale 2011b (all versions since 1.0)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil
OS 10.6.6

Misha D
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Misha DAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/10/2011 3:14 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using Finale SongWriter 2010 on a Mac with OS 10.6.5.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 12203

Posted 1/10/2011 3:22 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Misha,
You can't do that in SongWriter. Sorry. Only the full Finale can hide time signatures.

BUT: there is a workaround. Start with the piano/vocal template, and delete the piano staves. Use Fit Measures to set 1 measure per system. Set the time signature in m.1 to 19/4, or whatever you need it to be. From Page Layout, Apply Individual Staff Spacing. From the Staff tool, select and hide measure/system 1.

It gets more complicated if you have different time signatures in the next measure. Look at the article Two Songs on One Page (PrintMusic) at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm The should give you the concept of what you need to do.

(note: SongWriter 2010 is the ONLY version of SW where this will work. Earlier versions didn't have the options needed.)

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 1/10/2011 1:32:07 PM (GMT-6)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, July 26, 2014 1:11 PM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 381,366 posts in 56,830 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 18 new threads and 132 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 31682 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, DrAnthony.
34 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Al Newman