Finale SmartMusic
  HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh > Printing Problem: I'm stumped…  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary the TAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 679

Posted 8/2/2012 11:06 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
…and that's never happened before.

You can see my particulars in my signature. Printer is an HP LaserJet 5000n that I've used with great success for the past 12.5 years. I'm working on my Mac Pro, but experimentation indicates that the problem seems to be happening with my MBP as well.

All of a sudden, when I'm printing 2-up from Finale 2011, bizarre scaling issues are happening. The piece that I'm working on is just a 4-page chart, 9x12 in Finale, and Printer Page Formatted for my normal 12x18 landscape booklet size. Since I'm printing 2-up, the pagination is 4, 1, 2, 3. I've done this a zillion times before.

But this time, for some reason I can't figure out, my margins are creeping to the edge of the page.

The page margins are set to .5 all the way around for page 1 (title page), and for pages 2–4 they're .75 left, and .5 top, right, and bottom. System margins are all set to 0 left and right. (Units are inches, BTW.)

This is what I always do, and now the printed output is about 1/16" from the left edge of page 2, which is the left-hand page of the center spread. The right margin of page 2, set for .5, is printing at .75. The right page is slightly better, with the right margin being just about .5 from the edge of the paper, which it should be, while its left margin is about 3/16" from the crease, which is wrong.

And to add insult to injury, older files that I know for a fact have printed correctly (because I took the hard copies and measured the margins with a tape measure), are also printing incorrectly, with the margins being too close to the edge on the left hand pages consistently.

In Program Options > Save and Print, Use Finale's Page Orientation Instead of the Printer's Page Orientation is unchecked as it has been for years.

In File > Print, Ignore Printer Margins for N-up Printing is checked as it has been for years.

One interesting thing is that if I print a preview and print from Preview, the printing is more or less correct. But I shouldn't have to do that. I've been printing from Finale with few or no issues for years and years. Why on earth would things suddenly get so messed up? In the print dialog box, I even tried clicking 1-up so I could check the Fit to Page box, and then selecting 2-up, so Fit to Page was grayed out again, but still checked.

Another thing that may or may not be a clue: When I print a score, on 9.5x12.5 paper, portrait, 1-up, everything works fine. And printing from Finale 2009 does seem to be working, thought that doesn't really help with this project.

I've tried everything I could think of, and I cannot get a 2-up booklet page to print correctly now.

I've had enough for one day. I had oral surgery this afternoon, and I'm going to take a Vicodin and go to bed.

But tomorrow, I'd be very interested in getting any input from anyone. I have to get this project done, and sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

GT

17" MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8), True Systems Precision 8, Metric Halo LIO-8
Mac Pro (2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere", 20 GB RAM; OS 10.6.8), Metric Halo ULN-2, MOTU 8pre
Pro Tools 10.2; REAPER 4.25; Logic 9.1.7; PreSonus FaderPort
Waves Diamond Bundle & SSL Collection Native; McDSP Emerald Pack Native; MH Production Bundle; Komplete 8 Ultimate; IK Total Workstation 2
Finale 2009c, 2011c

Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 10390

Posted 8/3/2012 3:51 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check the printer's settings on the control panel (or the web front-end, if it has one). There is an option to Crop or Scale somewhere.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.4
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gary the TAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/3/2012 11:34 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another bizarre thing: No web front-end. I put the printer's IP address into Safari or FireFox, and I get a message saying that Mac OS doesn't allow this. Same thing happens at work with my iMac and my HP 8150. But I can get into a Xerox printer I have there. Does HP not support this on Mac.

And I can't find any sort of setting in the printer's menus about scaling or cropping.

I did find out that my scratch 12x18 paper is actually 12x17.875, but that has never been an issue in the past, and the issue I'm having is way more dramatic than just being off by 1/8".

17" MacBook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8), True Systems Precision 8, Metric Halo LIO-8
Mac Pro (2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere", 20 GB RAM; OS 10.6.8), Metric Halo ULN-2, MOTU 8pre
Waves Diamond Bundle & SSL Collection Native; McDSP Emerald Pack Native; MH Production Bundle; Komplete 8 Ultimate; IK Total Workstation 2
Finale 2009c, 2011c

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetClick to Add Aoli margarine to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add Yikes! to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add Msn: mpssbl to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 9105

Posted 8/3/2012 12:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You say "all of a sudden." Something has changed. Probably neither Finale nor the HP 5000. Have you upgraded the Mac OS or printer drivers?

It might be worth a try to create PDF first. See if that looks correct in terms of 2-up, then try printing from that if so.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows XP

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/3/2012 1:10 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haven't changed OS nor printer drivers, but I will tell you something that might well be an issue:

Back on June 12, I switched my ISP from Cox Communications to AT&T U-verse (and really, it's gone very well).

The day of the install, once the tech was done, I had to get a lot of things reconfigured, as he swapped out my old switch and AirPort Extreme with the proprietary residential gateway U-verse uses.

From my Mac Pro, which has connected to the HP via ethernet for as along as I've had it, I could not get the computer to find the printer's IP address however I tried.

[Cue Bernard Hermann's "Psycho" string music.]

So, I did a hard reset of the printer, which changed its IP address to 0.0.0.0. Then, after about 5 minutes, it regenerated a standard 192.168.x.x address which has worked ever since. During this process, of course, I had to delete the printer from the Mac, and then reinstall it once I had a valid IP address to use.

So, my suspicion would be that in doing that hard reset, a setting got changed that is causing my issues. Now, if I could only find what it is.

I really do like this printer, but I suppose I would go to a newer one if I had to, if only to be more up-to-date. And there's no question that after 12 and a half years, this printer really owes me nothing.

(And for those who think that buying a new printer to fix a problem like this is crazy, let me tell you that my wife and I once drove from central Connecticut to West Virginia to have a fish sandwich that we read about. I gave up drinking for good in 2002, but compulsive behavior is still compulsive behavior...)

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetClick to Add Aoli margarine to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableClick to Add Yikes! to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add Msn: mpssbl to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 8/3/2012 1:40 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps the switch resulted in a different printer driver.

Windows XP

Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 8/3/2012 2:03 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use the Debug menu to spoof Safari's user agent to Windows IE.

Also, don't forget the cups web interface at localhost:631

"This is me helping."

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/3/2012 10:30 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Also, don't forget the cups web interface at localhost:631

Well, I really think it's the printer, and not Finale. Using the CUPS interface, I got into the printer, and tried these various settings:

Set Default Options > Options Installed > Fit to Page: Nearest Size and Crop; Nearest Size and Scale; and Prompt User.

Set Default Options > General > Scaling: Proportional and Fit to Page Size.

To get any of these items to function, when I print from Finale, I have to uncheck the Ignore Printer Margins for N-up Printing box.

And the results are still unacceptable.

I also tried Motet's suggestion of creating a PDF of the file, which I'm attaching here, and opening that in Acrobat. I showed the rulers and put guides down. Everything is where it should be. Pages 2, 3, and 4 have left margins of .75, and right margins of .5. The title page has margins of .5 all the way around. In Acrobat, the items on the title page (text block in upper left corner, 0 V and 0 H; text block in center, -1.05208 V and 0 H; and a graphics block on the bottom, .5 V and 0 H) are all exactly where they should be — as they are on the Finale page — but when I printed the PDF, same old thing. Also, the print quality wasn't as good, especially that graphic, which is an EPS that prints beautifully from Finale — except that when printing, everything on the front page is left of center by at least .375 inches. And that makes my OCD head ache.

The bloody printer is off somehow, and I've wasted about 100 sheets of my 12x18 paper trying to sort out what is happening, with absolutely no success. In the old days, I printed 12x18 parts all day long with never an issue like this.

And considering that with this oral surgery I had yesterday, I haven't eaten, or really slept since Wednesday. I'm pretty close to taking a sledge hammer to the printer, which would be foolish (especially considering what I found when I priced other large-scale printers).

Finale 2009c, 2011c

File Attachment :
Test.pdf   319KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 162 time(s).

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/3/2012 11:38 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And to add more confusion to the mix:

I did a cold reset of the printer (removing the JetDirect card first so that wouldn't be reset as well), restoring the factory settings.

Waste of time.

Then I decided to try an experiment:

With the file that I've been working on, which is 9x12 in Finale and printing to 12x18, I decided to format it for my score paper size of 9.5x12.5. I printed it 1-up portrait to my score paper and that printing was off to the left as well. However, when I changed the page size in Finale to 9.5x12.5 and printed it to that paper again, it was perfect. All margins were exactly as they were supposed to be, everything on the front page was centered, it was exactly right.

Unfortunately, that paper size is useless to me for this purpose, since I can't create booklets with it.

But it goes to show that somewhere, somehow, the printer is not dealing with12x18 correctly, and I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT IS!

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 8/4/2012 3:50 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you try spoofing the User Agent in Safari? I think I used to do that with my 5000. Or go through the control panel. It's likely to be something in the printer's page/paper settings.

I had a 5000, and it was very good, though the duplexer would chew up paper every now and again. Then I got a 5100, which was exactly the same, but slightly faster, both in processing and printing. (I think the 5000 supported Postscript Level 1 and the 5100 Level 2.) It had a better web interface which worked well with Macs. You could even set it up to send you an email when the toner was low! However, it still chewed up the odd sheet in the duplexer and the register was a bit off on both sides of the sheet. (I also found that HP's own drivers didn't work well, but just sending generic Postscript from OS X worked like a charm!)

I've recently bought a second-hand 5200, and it's changed my life. The duplexer is a complete different, redesigned mechanism, which has never jammed; it's MUCH faster and supports Postscript Level 3. You can adjust the register in the control panel, or in the web interface. The toner cartridge lasts longer and is cheaper. (You also get an estimate % of how full it is.) It takes up slightly less space than the earlier models. I've maxed out the RAM and added an HP hard drive module from eBay, so I can store print jobs on the hard drive and print them from there -- without needing the computer on!

In short, what I thought was going to be a minor improvement on the 5100 turned out to be a redesigned, amazing machine. Even without the hard drive, it's SO much faster, more accurate and more reliable than the 5100, with longer toner life. I got mine for £350, which is a massive saving on buying it new. It had only done 5000 copies.
It takes a standard RAM module which you can buy from RAM websites for very little money. The hard drive module (on an HP proprietary board and socket) sells on eBay for a variety of prices -- some very expensive, and some cheap. I got the 80Gb module for £35.

I've found toner cartridges for the 5000 and 5100 have been creeping up in price and becoming harder to find. Perhaps a factor of their age. The 5200 cartridges are more widely available, and you seem to get almost twice as many sheets out of them.

"This is me helping."

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 8/4/2012 2:57:35 AM (GMT-5)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 8/4/2012 12:57 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm skeptical it's the printer itself. Though you changed various defaults, the printer driver can still override those when it comes time to print. And there's the suspicious issue of your networking change. The real test would be to try the printer on another machine, preferably Windows. Do you have a friend with a Windows laptop?

I would also try downloading and reinstalling the printer driver from HP's website.

EDIT: Looks like there's no driver, but there is advice there.

Windows XP

Post Edited (Motet) : 8/4/2012 12:04:47 PM (GMT-5)

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/4/2012 1:23 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Did you try spoofing the User Agent in Safari? I think I used to do that with my 5000. Or go through the control panel. It's likely to be something in the printer's page/paper settings.

Did you read my post 2 above this? Using CUPS, I was able to get into the printer and change various settings, all to no avail. (Also, I don't know what "spoofing the User Agent" means.) Regardless, I did try the different Fit to Page and Page Scaling settings within the printer, none of which had the slightest effect.

Also, those settings only seem to work if the Ignore Printer Margins for N-up Printing box in Finale is unchecked, and before I ran into this fiasco, I always had that box checked.

Very interesting info about the 5200, though… There's a company I deal with at work who sell a variety of refurbished machines. I may well give them a call.

Motet said...
I'm skeptical it's the printer itself. Though you changed various defaults, the printer driver can still override those when it comes time to print. And there's the suspicious issue of your networking change. The real test would be to try the printer on another machine, preferably Windows. Do you have a friend with a Windows laptop?

Don't have any access to Windows laptops, nor any friends, either. smilewinkgrin

I really don't know. I've been able to print properly from Word (which I use only as a last resort), and InDesign and Acrobat since I made the change to U-Verse. And you're right: HP's site has no driver for the 5000, as they say that Mac OS has the most up-to-date drivers built in.

But it does seem strange that as I said about that PDF I posted, PDF output from Finale was exactly right when opened in Acrobat, but the printing was still off. And I also tried compiling a PS listing from Finale, dropped that into Distiller, and once again the resulting PDF was correct. And the printing was not.

So it sure seems to me that there is something up with a printer setting somewhere, when dealing with 2-up landscape, rather than with Finale.

In short, elements are printing too much to the left.

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 8/4/2012 2:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Setting the options in the CUPS web interface relates to the defaults that the computer requests. Setting the options in the HP printer web interface relates to what the printer does by default.
The two are not necessarily identical.

As I wrote earlier, if you enable the Debug menu in Safari, you can then set an alternative User Agent (so that if a web page asks what browser you are, it says "Windows IE", not "Mac Safari"). If you do this, then the HP print web interface will work.

"This is me helping."

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/4/2012 4:07 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
Setting the options in the CUPS web interface relates to the defaults that the computer requests. Setting the options in the HP printer web interface relates to what the printer does by default.
The two are not necessarily identical.

As I wrote earlier, if you enable the Debug menu in Safari, you can then set an alternative User Agent (so that if a web page asks what browser you are, it says "Windows IE", not "Mac Safari"). If you do this, then the HP print web interface will work.

OK, thanks for clearing that up, though you didn't mention that I had to enable Develop in Safari Preferences to be able to set an alternative user agent.

At any rate, I was able to get right to the HPs admin page using this method. But unfortunately, there's nothing in there anywhere that has to do with configuring anything like page scaling. There are 6 tabs under Administration, and none of them had what I need.

Back to square 1.

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 8/4/2012 8:36 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have the 5000 documentation? I can dig it up for you if not. If you suspect a printer setting has gotten changed, there is a command to restore the factory defaults

Windows XP

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/4/2012 9:45 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Do you have the 5000 documentation? I can dig it up for you if not. If you suspect a printer setting has gotten changed, there is a command to restore the factory defaults

Thanks, but I do have the hard copies, and I did restore the factory defaults. Still same problem: Portrait prints fine from whichever app and landscape prints off to the left from whichever app.

After fighting this problem for 48 hours, I am ready to throw in the towel. I have never seen anything like this before, and that HP 5200dtn is looking better and better.

Of course, I could buy one and find that the problem remains, but it really does seem to me that something in the printer somehow got changed and there doesn't appear to be a way to bring it back.

PS: As I said in my very first post in this thread, I'm seeing it happen with my MBP as well, which really convinces me that there's something up in the printer, rather than Finale or Acrobat or InDesign.

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/5/2012 8:16 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
More and more I'm believing that it's a physical problem with printing in landscape through the manual feed. I did a couple of experiments, including printing InDesign documents that are letter-size and landscape from tray 2, and they came out right, with my .5 margins all the way around. Maybe the manual tray is just bringing the paper in too far before the printing begins, or not far enough.

To compound things, for whatever reason, tray 3, my 11x17 tray, won't feed into the printer. Anyone who uses a printer for a long time gets to know the various sounds it makes. Every time I try to print an 11x17 page, the printer makes a sound that it definitely should not be making, and gives me a paper jam message, even though there's no jam in there at all.

I have a local fellow who is a certified HP repairman, and makes house calls, so I'm going to have him come over so I can show him exactly what my printing problem is (the one that has concerned this thread), and I'll help him schlep the printer to his car so he can bring it to his shop and work on it.

I know he'll be able to fix the 11x17 problem, but if he can't fix the printing thing, there's another local outfit that sells a huge variety of printers. I deal with them all the time through my day job. They sold the office the HP 8150 that I use on a daily basis (the printer originally came from Yale, so you KNOW it's smart smilewinkgrin). They also service the printer, and their service is tremendous.

Anyway, I've had good success working with them. They might have a 5200 on hand, and I might even be able to barter my 5000 as well as a Xerox Phaser 6250 that I don't use any more.

I'll keep you posted.

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 8/5/2012 10:51 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like you need a roller kit.

Windows XP

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/6/2012 9:30 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Sounds like you need a roller kit.
Perhaps for the 11x17 tray. But check this out:

I tried yet another experiment:

Exported each page of the Finale score as an EPS.

Created a 12x18 portrait InDesign document with .5 margins top, bottom, left, right.

Placed each graphic in the ID document and rotated 90°. This resulted in a document that was identical to my Finale document, only rotated 90°.

Printed from the manual feed tray.

Everything was right were it was supposed to be! (One utterly messed-up thing was that all my text, and Maestro and Bill Duncan fonts, all printed italic, but that's because I exported as EPS. If I exported as TIFF or JPEG, I'm sure that would go away.)

Thus, it proves my theory that only whilst printing landscape on 12x18 through the manual feed is everything printing off to the left.

So, this is actually a viable workaround for this project, though of course it's absolutely inconceivable that I could work like this on all projects.

Time to call my printer repair guy.

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 8/6/2012 11:32 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like a software issue.

Windows XP

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/17/2012 12:24 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well. After the printer spent 9 days at the repair place, and he replaced every roller in the thing, the problem persists. (11x17 tray does work again, though.) As I had explained the problem to him thoroughly, he tried printing through the manual feed in his shop, and he found that he had the same issue, with everything being off to the left.

Sigh.

On a brighter note, I just installed a Mercury SSD in my MBP and a Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD card in my Mac Pro, and both machines are noticeably faster…

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 3915

Posted 8/17/2012 5:00 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did the same (SSDs in both MBP and MacPro) and the difference was (and still is) overwhelming. Cold boot takes 18 seconds (with lots of programs loaded by default) and Finale starts up in 4 seconds. Whenever I use my wife's computer I find myself wondering if something's broken!

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2012b, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.8
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/17/2012 10:38 AM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
I did the same (SSDs in both MBP and MacPro) and the difference was (and still is) overwhelming. Cold boot takes 18 seconds (with lots of programs loaded by default) and Finale starts up in 4 seconds. Whenever I use my wife's computer I find myself wondering if something's broken!

Yeah, I got both a Mercury 480GB SSD for my MBP, and the Accelsior 480GB card for my Mac Pro.

Installation was utterly routine, and the hybrid drive that was in the MBP is now a bootable USB backup drive. The previous system drive in the Mac is now a bootable backup as well.

It seemed that it took both 'puters a couple of restarts before things settled in, but now I'm seeing much faster boot times, and apps are loading very quickly, especially InDesign and Photoshop. In fact, nearly instantaneously. Pro Tools is loading in about 15 seconds, which is a big improvement.

On both machines, the first Time Machine backup took quite a while, and the first CCC backup likewise took a while, but once that was done, everything clicked into place and now I have a pair of machines that are much faster than they were a day ago.

I decided to keep my sample libraries in the 7200 RPM HD, since I've had no issues using them from that location before.

Absolutely no issues with sessions in PT or REAPER or Logic.

So, it's definitely a case of so far, so good, and here's hoping it continues.
Now, if only I could print like I always used to…

Cheers,

GT

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Gary the T
[Funny comment here.]

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 8/25/2012 6:25 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, here's an update on the printing:

3+ weeks out and I'm still no closer to a solution.

In short, the problem is that when I'm printing 2-up booklet (and this is with other apps, not just Finale), the printer is not correctly dealing with the margins set up for the left-hand, i.e. even-numbered pages. I have completely reinitialized the printer to the factory presets, and it has not made the slightest bit of difference in this problem.

For example, in a Finale score, I usually have the left page margin set at .75", and the right at .5" for all pages. Other than the indented first system, my system L&R margins are all set to 0.

The right-hand page will print correctly, but the left-hand page will print in such a way that all of the items on the page are off to the left by .25". Bear in mind, this is on the same sheet of paper; the right page is placed correctly while the left one is not.

The only workaround I've been able to come up with is to edit the page margins for the left-hand pages only, increasing the left margin by .25 and decreasing the right margin by .25. so that the left margin is 1 inch and the right is .25. I need to do a similar thing when I'm printing from InDesign.

Once that is done, my document prints correctly.

But as you may imagine, this is really not acceptable to me. Until August 2, it was a WYSIWYG situation, and I am not keen to have to re-jigger my margins to make them print as they should.

So, I think it's time to start looking for a new printer…

Finale 2009c, 2011c

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 1724

Posted 8/25/2012 7:11 PM (GMT -5)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a 5100 that will not print 2-up booklets either, since about 5 finale versions. Someone answered me with this, though it didn't help me, maybe it will help you.

I know this has been discussed here recently, but now it's hit me:

A file on letter-size pages but with tabloid-size page set up for 2-up printing on folded double sheets. Worked fine in 2K4, but 2K7 refuses to print on the big paper. Help!

Apparently nobody on this list has any idea what to do about this, so I called tech support, who were extremely helpful. After nearly two hours of futzing around, the solution proved to be this:

Go into the Page Setup dialog and change the "Format For:" pop-up to Any Printer. Oddly, this will *not* adversely affect the bleed margin.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2011b and 2012b r.1
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 

Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:57 PM (GMT -5)
There are a total of 383,388 posts in 57,035 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 26 new threads and 262 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 31787 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, aforney.
43 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
liuscorne