Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Collisions  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 12/24/2016 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hardly ever use lyrics so this may be a dumb question. When I start a measure with a lyric and an expression, the two invariably collide. In older versions of Finale I think there was a setting under Document Options that prevented this, but I don't see it in Finale 25.2. Is there some way to go back after the fact and un-collide everything without adjusting each one manually? The vertical collision plugin doesn't seem to help.

Finale 2014-5, GPO 5, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments
Windows 10, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/24/2016 11:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've not known of such a setting. There is a setting to keep syllables from colliding with each other, but not for collisions colliding with expressions.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 12/24/2016 11:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't do lyrics either until I was asked to put a piece in to Finale for publishing. I saw the same problem and was told by the publisher it was OK to put hairpins and dynamics on top of the staff.

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014.5 *-* Finale 25
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
dynamics_on_vocal_staves.png
  49KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 234 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/24/2016 11:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not only okay, but standard for vocal music.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/24/2016 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Not only okay, but standard for vocal music.

Quite. In a vocal score, pretty much everything apart from the lyrics goes above the stave. This can even include articulations and triplet brackets/numbers on upward stems.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/24/2016 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So what do you do if you have multiple lines, like SATB, each with their own lyrics? I have seen some published score where they put them over every staff, with the resultant crowding and collisions. Is it acceptable to put them only above the top staff?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 12/24/2016 3:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Generally, you need to leave enough space between staves for lyrics of the staff above and the expressions of the staff below. It's just that because you don't want stuff between the notes and the lyrics, you might as well put it on the top, rather than below the lyrics.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/24/2016 4:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's what I thought. But it can really limit what fits on a page.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/24/2016 5:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's why choral music frequently uses a smaller staff size.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 12/24/2016 5:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
So what do you do if you have multiple lines, like SATB, each with their own lyrics? I have seen some published score where they put them over every staff, with the resultant crowding and collisions. Is it acceptable to put them only above the top staff?

I suppose the traditional solution would be to publish part books rather than a score.

Finale 2014.5, 25
GWI, GPO4, GPO5, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 10 Pro HP Envy Desktop
Windows 10 Home HP Portable

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/24/2016 6:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That works with instruments. You put your fingers there, and the right sound (usually) comes out. I think singers (speaking as one, myself) like knowing what the other parts are doing, and picking up the occasional pitch from them.

I don't think I've ever seen a vocal part score.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/25/2016 8:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, they used to exist. Have you ever seen (images of) those oversized velum books where each part was oriented in a different direction for singers that gathered around the one hand-copied book to see their part? The Middle Ages/Renaissance was a different world.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 12/25/2016 1:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The sort of music that used to appear in part-books (or choir-books or table-books) didn't really have much call for dynamics and other expressions!

I always hated the Durand & Cie Vocal Scores, which had multi-measure rests and no organ part, save for a few cue notes.

Here's a 1660 printed part.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 3.png
  766KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 422 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/25/2016 3:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suppose after trying to figure out how to fit syllables to the notes, dynamics and expressions would be the least of their medieval worries. :-)