Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Articulation positioning  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/14/2016 1:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not convinced that Articulation placement is as it should be. Look at the example here. I've ticked "Avoid Staff Lines" and "Place Outside the Staff", but the default position for notes on the middle line is actually sitting ON a staff line.

1. What do people think the correct / preferred placement should be?
2. Is Finale wrong here?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 4.png
  90KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 1036 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/14/2016 1:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My preference would be that they clear the staff.

It looks like your "Default Vertical Positioning" and "Handle Positioning" need some work. I would use the settings for the marcato accent (>) as those look to be nearest to the parameters you want. Just duplicate the marcato and swap out the symbols.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 12/14/2016 1:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How's this:

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"

File Attachment :
Wedge.mus   42KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 421 time(s).

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 12/14/2016 2:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, that's really nice.

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 12/14/2016 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am used to seeing the tip of the wedge very close to the note head, no matter where the note head occurs. Here is an example from the Schenker edition of the Beethoven op. 27 no. 1:

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Wedges.png
  179KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 394 time(s).

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 12/14/2016 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I should add that E. Gould says on page 120 that:

"Accent marks and wedges are usually best placed outside the stave where they are most visible…but can move onto the stave..." if they would be too far away from the note.

Then she mentions that "The ^ accent and wedge should intersect a stave line for greatest visibility." and gives an example of wedges starting off the staff but then accompanying the notes into the staff as they move lower and lower.

I think that in general it looks unnatural when articulation marks hover in one position over the staff as the notes move away from them. But the horizontal > accent gets obscured when placed on the staff and one has to put up with this unnatural placement. However, the wedge and ^ are vertical and may be placed on the staff without being obscured by the staff lines.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 12/14/2016 6:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
I am used to seeing the tip of the wedge very close to the note head, no matter where the note head occurs. Here is an example from the Schenker edition of the Beethoven op. 27 no. 1:

See attached. You make some good points.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"

File Attachment :
WedgeClose.mus   42KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 423 time(s).

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/14/2016 10:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting. I agree with John (and Elaine Gould) and actually with Wiggy's first example, in which the wedges follow the placement of the noteheads but intersect the staff lines where necessary to aid visibility. In this regard, the Schenker edition is inconsistent, as the wedges sometimes intersect the staff lines (as I would prefer them) as in mm. 43-45 but are often placed between them.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 12/14/2016 10:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Schenker edition (Universal), and N.s' second example follows a different principle: the tip of the wedge is practically touching the note head at all times, which brings it into conflict with Gould's observations. I think that Gould's system may lead to a more elegant result if one elects to let the wedges run into the staff.

www.cantilenapress.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/15/2016 12:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps "place outside staff lines" means the handle. You can adjust where the mark lines in relation to its handle in the settings.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 12/15/2016 2:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Indeed. The documentation does actually say that it relates to the handle position, not the actual object itself.

I'm as much interested in whether Finale's settings are helpful as what the optimal placement should be.

jange
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jange's website.Send a Private Message to jangeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 53

Posted 12/15/2016 3:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It has to do with how the glyph is placed in the font.
If it goes below the baseline, then it can cross the staff lines.
And in this case it is below the baseline.
See attached screenshot (horizontal green line = baseline).

Jan

Elbsound.studio

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
fan.jpg
  79KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 356 time(s).