Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Counter plug-in  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 12/10/2016 9:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Friends,

Is there any plug-in or tool or whatever, that can make counting numbers of measures, when for instance, the timpani has roll for a longer time (many measures). I don't want to write repeating symbol, but the standard notation with numbers above.

Thanks.

(now on Windows side, running Finale on BootCamp).

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/10/2016 9:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Create a Measure Number Region for those measures?

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 12/10/2016 9:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, but I would need numerous regions than. Is it really the best way?

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/10/2016 9:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Simply create an expression number and set positioning horizontally centered between barlines and vertically 1 space above staff reference line (top staff line).

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Count.png
  153KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 285 time(s).

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/10/2016 9:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doesn't Robert Patterson have a plugin for this? I believe Jari does, too.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/10/2016 10:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO. said...
… Is there any plug-in or tool or whatever, that can make counting numbers of measures, when for instance, the timpani has roll for a longer time (many measures). I don't want to write repeating symbol, but the standard notation with numbers above …

Plug-ins menu > Measures > Number Repeated Measures

NB:
The plug-in creates the numbers as expressions - with the settings (font, positioning &c.) the plug-in creator has chosen.
Unfortunately you can not tell the plug-in to use other settings.
You may prefer to customize the expressions with your own preferred settings.
When you have customized the expressions, you can enter them quickly via metatools (without using the plug-in).
You might like to save the expressions as a library.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.11.6, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 12/10/2016 11:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Thomsen said...
OCTO. said...
… Is there any plug-in or tool or whatever, that can make counting numbers of measures, when for instance, the timpani has roll for a longer time (many measures). I don't want to write repeating symbol, but the standard notation with numbers above …

Plug-ins menu > Measures > Number Repeated Measures

NB:
The plug-in creates the numbers as expressions - with the settings (font, positioning &c.) the plug-in creator has chosen.
Unfortunately you can not tell the plug-in to use other settings.
You may prefer to customize the expressions with your own preferred settings.
When you have customized the expressions, you can enter them quickly via metatools (without using the plug-in).
You might like to save the expressions as a library.

Peter

Thanks, this is the quickest way! Blessings!

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/10/2016 12:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I prefer JW Pattern for this, since it gives you control over the font, parenthesization (or not), and placement.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/10/2016 12:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The JW pattern plugin is far superior. I'm waiting for the v25 edition.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/10/2016 12:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wonder what's up with JW.

For what it's worth, here's what I do with JW Pattern:

A separate category for the repeat labels:

The additional horizontal offset of -16 (EVPUs) was computed from Document Options: Notes and Rests. The formula is

(Spacing_After_Music - Spacing_Before_Music) / 2

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/10/2016 11:40:23 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
0021.png
  2KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 213 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
0022.png
  12KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 253 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
0023.png
  6KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 198 time(s).

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 12/10/2016 1:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK! Looks good, Motet! I will check it now. I need for Windows, 2014.5 (for this project).

Thank you. Blessings to you as well!

And to Jari too!

Post Edited (OCTO.) : 12/10/2016 12:04:23 PM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/10/2016 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the JW Pattern plugin, you have an option of using your own Category (as Motet indicated). I have mine saved as a Library and load it in, with my settings, before I run the plugin.

Zuill

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/10/2016 1:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a category for repeat numbers below the staff as well, with Additional Vertical Offset = -144e. I pick one category or the other as appropriate to the passage.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 12/10/2016 1:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
and to think this entire conversation would be impossible on the "new and improved Finale forum"

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 12/10/2016 1:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
and to think this entire conversation would be impossible on the "new and improved Finale forum"

Agree!
THUMB UP - icon is missing. So Thumb up!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/10/2016 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess Jari has quite a few 64bit plugins for testing. I just tried the JW Pattern plugin in v25.2 and it seems to work as it should.

Zuill

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/11/2016 12:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...

I'm no fan of the "new" Forum software, but in fairness, I don't see why this conversation could not have taken place there given willing participants.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/11/2016 12:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's the question of attachments to start. Yes, one could post a link to something offsite, but the percentage of people who have such storage and the knowledge to do it is likely small. Plus, they're going to delete the files once the discussion is over. I have posted hundreds of examples here over the years; I can't imaging maintaining that if they were in my own space.

A typical scenario here is someone has a mysterious problem, and the only way of getting to the bottom of it is for them to post their file. "Huh? How do I do that? What's Dropbox? OK, I created a Dropbox account, now what? OK, I uploaded it there, now what?" I just don't see it working.

This thread played out over several visits to the forum. Sometimes they go on for days, or even weeks. How easy does the new forum make it to return and continue a conversation? I haven't spent a whole lot of time there, but my impression is: not very.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/11/2016 11:25:59 AM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/11/2016 12:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see now you've answered your own question in the sticky thread, Derrek.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/11/2016 6:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This conversation used nothing but image attachments, which (along with links) are easy to use on the Zendesk Forums.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/11/2016 7:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, touché.

Windows 7, MIDI input