Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Another great story about the new MM forum  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/27/2016 4:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A user is having trouble with his installation of an upgrade; the program says he doesn't have the original version registered. So I suggested he call tech support, for serial number help.

They referred him back to the forum.

It looks like MM is scrapping any vestiges of live support. That's going to hurt them even more than a stupid, useless forum will.

<Real World calling Adam, Michael, and Fred… Boulder, we have a problem…>

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 12/27/2016 3:09:06 PM (GMT-6)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 12/27/2016 4:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If MM was based here in Scotland, I would suspect that their not very helpful response to the serial number request was because they were practising for Hogmanay and were already sampling the whisky, but I'm sure nothing like that would happen in Colorado…

This apparent lack of a very fast response to serial number & authorization queries *IS* rather worrying. The only time I've telephoned MM all the way from Scotland was for just such a problem when an OS up-date in 2009(?) caused Finale authorization to be cancelled on my system (and also those of one or two other people). In such a situation, one really does not want there to be any delay in getting things put right.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Post Edited (David Ward) : 12/27/2016 3:38:36 PM (GMT-6)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/27/2016 4:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not with whiskey, anyway...

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 12/27/2016 6:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Not with whiskey, anyway...
Ha! :p

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/27/2016 7:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's "whisky."

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/27/2016 8:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
That's "whisky."

Whisky in Scotland (where David is) and whiskey in the US (where MM is.)

Whiskey
Whiskey, also known as whisky, is as much a broad categorization of spirits as it is a spirit type. If you aren’t a whiskey enthusiast, you might be wondering what the difference is between whiskey and whisky, or what the deal is with whiskey vs. bourbon or scotch. One determinant between whiskey and whisky is where it is produced. Whiskey from Ireland and the United States is usually spelled with the “e.” Whisky from Scotland, Canada, Japan, and elsewhere is spelled without the “e.” So, regional grammar is why you’ll see Scotch Whisky but Irish Whiskey on the shelves. Most whiskey distillers use the plural form “whiskeys” to hint that they referring to whiskey; whereas whisky is usually pluralized as “whiskies.” The difference between types of whiskies like bourbon, rye, or scotch is a bit more complex. Along with country of origin, the type of whiskey or whisky is also determined by the grain used in the distillation process. Different grains produce different taste characteristics. Couple that with varying distillation methods by region and producer, and you get a wide range of flavors from sweet to spicy and from smooth to bold and smokey.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/27/2016 8:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You give a good argument, but we need "proof".

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/27/2016 10:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It has to be true. I read it on the internet.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/27/2016 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Whisky" is the Scots spelling, was my point.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/27/2016 11:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
It has to be true. I read it on the internet.

Proof. It's a pun. 100 proof?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 12/28/2016 12:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, 100 proof is only 50% alcohol. So it's only half true?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/28/2016 11:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Well, 100 proof is only 50% alcohol. So it's only half true?

And a semitone is actually 100% of the interval between two adjacent pitches. So we bring it full circle back to music again!

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 1/1/2017 12:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whisky, Whisky, Nancy whisky.....

Mike- all else aside, was that from here or from the Finale Forum?

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

Post Edited (bvstudios) : 12/31/2016 11:08:27 PM (GMT-6)

SysExJohn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit SysExJohn's website.Send a Private Message to SysExJohnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2014
Total Posts : 57

Posted 1/1/2017 5:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopher Smith said...

And a semitone is actually 100% of the interval between two adjacent pitches. So we bring it full circle back to music again!

Only in Equal Temperament, not in any other!

John Garside.

at MIDI-tutor.proboards.com

Finale 2012c, Sonar 7 PE, XGworks.
Garritan GPO4, JABB, COMB, IO, Organs, Steinway, Harps + GPO5.
E-MU 1616m PCI and Cardbus x 2.
Yamaha AN1x.

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/1/2017 10:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That was from the new Forum; Finale Problems and Questions

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com