Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > SmartMusic - proximity of machines?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dan S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 20

Posted 9/14/2013 6:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I currently have 2 practice room subscriptions - one in my office (which has become a practice room), and one in the main band room (which gets used before and after school).

Question: If I get more computers & practice room subscriptions, will they work set up next to another computer? Or, will the 'noise pollution' from from the other students mess up the assessment?

Dan

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 9/14/2013 11:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dan,

The key to that is testing the smartmusic microphone before they start doing takes. If they dont do that, the results are going to be not so good. So emphasize that with your students that you must do that for good grades,

The microphones will pick up other sounds no matter what. So make sure you listen to the take before you take the grade.

I read that you are a first year user with mixed results.  Having used it now for several years, let me pass along my experiences.  My first year was less than stellar, students didn't like it, graded too hard, etc. Yes there was a learning curve but by sticking with it and learning the ins and outs, I gained about 3 weeks of teaching time in my classroom, which has been invaluable.  The other thing is I can drop notes about how to fix problems and help the student (a plus in my book). another plus is kids have to practice to make good grades. A lot of wins in my book.

Now smartmusic cant fix a bad tone, bad embouchure or bad posture. But it can help make our jobs a little easier.

Smartmusic has improved year after year (remember Vivace!) and does listen to our requests when submitted and tries to fix them in a timely manner. I have made many,many requests for fixes and even have beta tested and the staff at makemusic has tried to honor every requestI have made. Still working on rhythm and intonation tightness, maybe someday. If you have an issue you need addressed, let em know.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to try and help.

Jim Jolley - Band Director - Center Hill Middle School

Finale 2008a, 2009b, 2010a, 2011b, 2012b - Smartmusic 2012b - Garritan CoMB - Vista

Post Edited (Jim Jolley) : 9/14/2013 11:30:13 PM (GMT-5)

Dan S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013

Posted 9/15/2013 4:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jim, a lot of good info in there.

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 9/15/2013 8:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If possible you'll want to avoid having 2 students playing assessments at the same time in the same room. The microphones are not directional and will easily pick up and assess notes from neighbors.

This being said, if the two instruments playing are of similar volume, the one closer to the mic will usually be able to "win" at least well enough to be given credit for greens, even if additional reds and greens make their way in from the neighbor. But pairing a trumpet with a clarinet for example will easily cause problems for the latter.

Dan S
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2013

Posted 9/15/2013 11:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@saxop - Thanks!