Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

AO
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AOAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 6

Posted 12/28/2016 12:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Viewing the default full orchestra score, how do you get the numbers that represent multiple instruments, two flutes for example, to be one on top of each other as in the default score template? I've been able to get the numbers side to side using the various staff tools but this maneuver just eludes me. Thanks.

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
FinaleScreenSnapz001.jpg
  13KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 224 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
FinaleScreenSnapz002.jpg
  13KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 233 time(s).

AO
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AOAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 6

Posted 12/28/2016 12:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whoops, didn't mean to send the same attachment twice, i think this is the right one.

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
PreviewScreenSnapz001.jpg
  15KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 280 time(s).

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 12/28/2016 12:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I treat this as a multi-step process, but it's very clean.

In my scores (this is the publisher score, not playback), I use single staves for each instrument (so in your example, it would be flute 1 and flute 2 each on their staff).
When I create the file, I make the instrument name invisible, but keep the number visible (assign the right font in the instrument name box, it's surprisingly easy).

So now I have (flute) 1, and (flute) 2 (the parenthesized names are in invisible font.

Step two, make the group bracket for my 2 flutes, call it "flute", be sure the group name is always showing.

Step three, when I need to have a single staff for both flutes, I use the staff for flute 1, and with a staff style simply apply my "1-over-2" staff style. (create a staff style that alters the instrument name to 1/2 with the 2 on the 2nd line. you will have to fidget around with the numbers to make it centre correctly next to the staff, and be the correct distance from the left barline).

it sounds like a lot of steps but it's really simple.

I usually assign a hotkey to apply the 1/2 staff style, and keep that step for the very end once the score is completely laid out.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/28/2016 12:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One way to do it.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/28/2016 12:39:28 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Flute 1 2.musx   84KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 432 time(s).

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/28/2016 1:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill, there might be a problem with your file name...

Another method (Michel's method is excellent):
In the text box of the Full name :
• Line 1 : type "Flutes", select the word and in the Text menu, apply Baseline Shift with a negative value -0,25 (unit = cm).
WITHOUT going to the next line, type 1, and give it a Baseline Shift = 0
• Line 2 : type "2", and give it a Baseline Shift = 0

Michel
Finale 25.2, 2014.5, 2012c main, MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
flutes.jpg
  35KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 350 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/28/2016 1:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I changed the name. See if it works now.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/28/2016 4:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I changed the name. See if it works now.

Zuill

Works fine for me. I like it.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/28/2016 5:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Zuill, I saw that you used Line Spacing (at 50%), an excellent solution. And in the Staff menu, Position Names -> Full Name : Aligment : Right, Justification : Full.

Michel
Finale 25.2, 2014.5, 2012c main, MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Post Edited (michelp) : 12/28/2016 6:30:27 PM (GMT-6)