Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Improvisation Lesson Plans  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dale Wolford
Registered Member

Click to send Dale Wolford email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dale WolfordAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/4/2005 2:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With the addition of the new improvisation on-screen accompaniments, it would be great to start developing lesson plans for students, giving them a step-by-step process to go through. I'm going to start and plan to post them on my web site, but I would love to work with other folks who want to do this as well. I'd love to hear from anyone else that is interested.

Also, suggestions of current web sites using things like the Aebersold with lessons plans that you can recommend I look at would be great.

Dale

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 12/20/2005 5:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Lesson plans in general are a great idea. One thing that SM can give that hasn't really been tapped into yet is structure. It's often difficult to get students to practice exactly what they should and exactly how they should. I've just started a new approach for a trumpet student of mine. I used Finale to make a single file that's a complete 30 minute practice session. It takes her through warm-ups, lip slurs, scales, twisters, and songs, with suitable breaks and repetitions built in. I have her record it, and I'm assured that her practices are effective. I think in the future it would be really great to have a Lesson Plan feature in SmartMusic, where teachers could set a series of exercises, methods, etc. to open in succession and play.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Dale Wolford
Registered Member

Click to send Dale Wolford email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dale WolfordAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 12/20/2005 2:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great idea for developing a specific practice session--I agree students need a clear structure to follow. I also like your idea of having a "Lesson Plan feature" in SM. Although just having a list for your students of the order of the exercises they should do, might work for now. But if it could be saved like the current Playlists feature that would sure make it easy to use and as we know the EASIER it is to use the more it WILL be used!

dubaifox
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dubaifoxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 33

Posted 1/22/2006 4:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have really been enjoying the new jazz features in 9.0!! The backing tracks really have a lot of soul and heart in them and they REALLY SWING, which is amazing for a computer program. The tunes are hip!

I have a Mac laptop connected to a projector. I set my whole band in front of the screen and go through one of the Jazz Tunes or Blues progressions and have each section play the head.

At the same time, I will teach a very simple background riff (by ear) for the others to play as the sections are playing the head so they don't get bored. I might even do a real simple call and response while other sections are playing the head. I also have them play (from memory) the root notes of the chord progression, which is easy to do with a blues progression, but takes a little time if it is not a blues progression. They also might just jot down the chords on a piece of paper, advanced students can learn to transpose for their instrument.

Then, I will call up the feature in SM that displays note patterns, (rather than the lead sheet) and play some of those. This might go on for 30 minutes and by the end of it kids are improvising without even knowing it.

Recording the whole group, sections or soloists also works amazingly well from my Mac laptop. Some kids feel more comfortable scat singing than soloing on their instrument. They love to hear themselves recorded!!

This really keeps the whole band entertained, it is quite non-threatening, and creates a great environment for kids to learn how to improvise.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 1/22/2006 5:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dubaifox said...
I have really been enjoying the new jazz features in 9.0!! The backing tracks really have a lot of soul and heart in them and they REALLY SWING, which is amazing for a computer program. The tunes are hip!

I have a Mac laptop connected to a projector. I set my whole band in front of the screen and go through one of the Jazz Tunes or Blues progressions and have each section play the head.

At the same time, I will teach a very simple background riff (by ear) for the others to play as the sections are playing the head so they don't get bored. I might even do a real simple call and response while other sections are playing the head. I also have them play (from memory) the root notes of the chord progression, which is easy to do with a blues progression, but takes a little time if it is not a blues progression. They also might just jot down the chords on a piece of paper, advanced students can learn to transpose for their instrument.

Then, I will call up the feature in SM that displays note patterns, (rather than the lead sheet) and play some of those. This might go on for 30 minutes and by the end of it kids are improvising without even knowing it.

Recording the whole group, sections or soloists also works amazingly well from my Mac laptop. Some kids feel more comfortable scat singing than soloing on their instrument. They love to hear themselves recorded!!

This really keeps the whole band entertained, it is quite non-threatening, and creates a great environment for kids to learn how to improvise.

I think you should send this to customer support as well and ask them to forward it to their SM team. People are finding creative ways to use SM more effectively, and other teachers might benefit from your idea if the SM team can put it on their website.

Windows XP, all updates

mburt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mburtAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 8

Posted 2/20/2006 9:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dale and Tyler,

I am very intrigued by the possibilities that SmartMusic/Finale presents for creating lesson plans. I would be interested in how you are approaching this. I teach strings 6-12. I and my students are just beginning to use SmartMusic.

Guiding students (especially beginners) through each of their practice sessions using this technology, would be very beneficial to them.

One of the thing I have done is use the beginning band method books in SmartMusic to expose my students to playing in flat keys.

Eric

Tyler
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 2/22/2006 5:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mburt said...
Dale and Tyler,

I am very intrigued by the possibilities that SmartMusic/Finale presents for creating lesson plans. I would be interested in how you are approaching this. I teach strings 6-12. I and my students are just beginning to use SmartMusic.

Guiding students (especially beginners) through each of their practice sessions using this technology, would be very beneficial to them.

One of the thing I have done is use the beginning band method books in SmartMusic to expose my students to playing in flat keys.

Eric

Right now I mostly enter the music into Finale the way I would have the student practice - including the repetitions, etc. This is a great way to teach beginners how to practice correctly. But of course it takes a lot of work if you have to do it differently for many students. I think it would be great if MakeMusic could implement a lesson plan feature that not only allows us to select the music and order, but also repetitions of specific measures.

Windows XP, all updates