Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25 - chords not playing back  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CreoleJazz's website.Send a Private Message to CreoleJazzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 181

Posted 12/23/2016 8:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi. Just got Finale 25 and have all updates. I've created a score with the wizard and used the "Create new ensemble", General, Handwritten (jazz font) option. It currently has only one staff, an electric bass part.

I've entered some bass notes and it plays back fine. But when I add chords I still hear only the bass line, no chords. "Enable chord playback" is checked in the Chord menu. What am I missing?

I don't know if it's related but in the chord Suffix Keynumber Offsets window, all the fields have zeros for all the chords. I tried adding some (for a simple Bb7 chord) and still no playback.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

It's a treat to beat your feet.
The New Creole Jazz Band

http://www.creolejazz.com

Finale 25 (ver 25.2.0.92)
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/23/2016 10:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We are probably going to need to see the file.

Zuill

P.S.: I just created a file using your steps and Chord playback works. There's something up in your file.

P.P.S.: Actually, only major plays. All the other chords are blank for playback. So, you will need to add the definitions for playback yourself. I guess the file used to create this look is deficient.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/23/2016 9:43:13 AM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 10:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My suggestion: either edit the JazzCord suffixes for you playback preference, or delete all of them and load the JazzText Library, which has the playback definitions (at least in the few I checked). I am guessing the JazzCord suffixes have never had playback defined.

Zuill

P.S.: I checked back in older versions of Finale. It appears the JazzCord font chord library has never had playback assigned. Oh well.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/23/2016 9:54:58 AM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 11:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Further exploration reveals if you select Fretboard for playback, then the chords will play. Apparently the fretboard definitions have playback defined, but not the chord suffixes themselves. So, you can still use the JazzCord font and get playback.

Zuill

P.S.: the attached file has the first 4 bars with only the major chord suffixes playing. The same 4 bars on the second system have the option for fretboard playback selected.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/23/2016 10:28:52 AM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Bass with JazzCord Suffixes.musx   86KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 383 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/23/2016 11:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also check the Score Manager to see what instrument is assigned to the chords. If it is a VST (Garritan) double bass, the chord notes are probably out of range.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CreoleJazz's website.Send a Private Message to CreoleJazzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 1:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for the help. I deleted all the chord suffixes from the Chord Suffix Definition window, then loaded the Jazz Text Chord Suffix library. Sure enough, the newly loaded suffixes had their definitions and SOME of the chords are playing back. However, some aren't (and the ones that aren't don't have suffixes).

So, I'm wondering if Derrek is onto something. I've opened the Score Manager but can't see where to assign an instrument to chord playback.

I tried uploading the file but get the message: You cannot upload files that use MIME type : application/x-zip-compressed.

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 2:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No. The Score Manager is not the cause. Did you try my suggestion?

Zuill

P.S.: I apologize. The range is the issue. I tested this. Sorry. I had missed what Derrek said.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/23/2016 2:13:42 PM (GMT-6)

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 2:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I tried your suggestion and that's what seemed to work. However, as I mentioned, some of the chords with no suffixes still don't play. Only some. Strange. That's what made me think it may be an issue with the range, as Derrek suggested.

Just curious, how do you change the instrument that plays the chords?

And regarding uploading the file, does this forum require that the file be zipped first before uploading?? Don't remember ever having that problem before. (I downloaded your file but am unable to read it. After unzipping it contains no musx file. No doubt I'm messing something up. Sorry. I appreciate your help.)

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 3:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use Google Chrome to easily upload here. Windows IE has issues in that regard.

Zuill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 3:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To change the instrument for the chords, click the arrow next to the instrument name. Down the list is chords. Change it to a guitar or other compatible instrument, and you should get playback. Since the JazzCord library doesn't have definitions, they will all play a major triad. So you still have work to do.

Zuill

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 3:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Of course. Chrome. Should have thought of that. I've uploaded the file. Start playback at Rehearsal "D" and you'll note the chords play until the Bb and C chords. Later the A doesn't play either.

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

File Attachment :
1 Heaven on Their Minds.musx   105KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 385 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 3:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try this with Guitar assigned to Chords.

Zuill

File Attachment :
1 Heaven on Their Minds Revised.musx   105KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 403 time(s).

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 3:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Excellent. Thank you. So...how did you change the chord playback instrument to guitar? What instrument was it set to before? And why didn't it work before? Is it easy to just set it to a piano?

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 4:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Piano should work too. Once you see Chords in the dropdown list, you change it in the Sound column. By default, the sound is the same as the chosen instrument of the staff.

Zuill

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 4:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok. What dropdown list?

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 5:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This one. I mentioned how to get it a few posts back. It's in the Score manager.

Zuill

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/23/2016 4:26:52 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Score Manager Drop Down List.JPG
  78KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 349 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/23/2016 5:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This...

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
scoreChords.png
  42KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 399 time(s).

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Got it. You've helped a lot. One more thing though. Why was it that some of the chords sounded and some didn't before the change to the guitar (or piano or whatever)?

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/23/2016 5:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Because, with Garritan Instruments, there is a set range. Bass is low, and chords tend to be high. Only some of the notes would play, or none at all, because they were outside the range of the Bass sample.

Zuill

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/23/2016 6:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, yes, of course. Just as Derrek guessed. I really appreciate your help, Zuill. Thanks. :-)

The New Creole Jazz Band

16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce GTX 970