Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > bass drum notes out of place  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Cal Muirhead/playtuba
Registered Member

Click to send Cal Muirhead/playtuba email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Cal Muirhead/playtubaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 137

Posted 1/27/2013 5:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings...My problem is with the drum set part.  when I wrote it the bass drum was noted on the botton line of the stave.  Thru some magic created when I was trying to get the part to replay louder, the bass drum line jumped away down, noted in many ledger lines below the staff.  I can't seem to find an easy fix short of re-writhing the entire part.  Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. I tried the editing frame , the mass mover and other well known tricks but to no avail... help...Cal I WILL ATTEMPT TO ATTACH AN EXAMPLE.

finale 2012.garratin sound fonts. finale user since l995

File Attachment :
Mexican a banda Medley Jan 2012 Drum set.mus   421KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 334 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/27/2013 5:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have a backup? Every time I edit a file, I change the file title (a six-digit date-stamp at the end) so I always have backups. They don't take up much disk space, and I keep them all in a folder with the most recently modified file at the top.

If you haven't done this in the past, I recommend the practice.

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X1 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/27/2013 6:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The percussion Layout you have chosen for that staff is for snare drum. You can manually add the missing instruments or choose a different Layout. If you let us know which way you want to go (the staff position for the 4 instruments) or choose a different Layout and let us know which Layout it is so we can help fix that, then we can know what to do. The first note is not exactly right (not included in the Layout) as well as other notes in the ending measures.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 1/27/2013 6:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bizarre...
You can fix it, though. Select a problematic region and layer, show active layer only.
Utilities -> Transpose percussion notes -> Bass drum.
Work region after region, change layer wherever needed.
But in the first place, you should have selected Drumset instead of Snare Drum.

Michel
Finale 2012c, 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.7.5 (Lion), Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/27/2013 6:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also, you have chosen Basic Orchestral Percussion for the Map. Fusion Drum Set seems to be more in line with the MIDI note numbers you have chosen. There are so many questions I have about what you are trying to do.

Zuill

P.S.: Here's one possible change that gets closer.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 1/27/2013 6:00:41 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Mexican a banda Medley Jan 2012 Drum set Revised.mus   422KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 337 time(s).

Cal Muirhead/playtuba
Registered Member

Click to send Cal Muirhead/playtuba email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Cal Muirhead/playtubaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 137

Posted 1/27/2013 8:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys...thanks for the reply..I had a backup drumpart from the orchestral score of the same arrangement.  I tried mass moving to the band score, but was not completely successful. Good to hear from you derik and zuill.  The origional score was set up for solo snare drum plus drum set(hedging all bets as to available drum section members)  The snare drum part was entered using the simple entry tool and the mass mover for the repititious parts.  The drum set part was entered using speedy entry tool and layering the parts.  No problem with the look.  The trouble started when I tried to get more volume from the drum parts.  With fusion I wasn't getting anywhere, so I changed to orch parts which seem okay, but still very quiet.
Now I just want to print the score and parts, with the correct looking drum set part.  I guess the easiest way is for me to re-enter the part as I want it.    

finale 2012.garratin sound fonts. finale user since l995