Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > I've lost my default plug-ins!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Russk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RusskAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 44

Posted 9/20/2015 5:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In an effort to listen to some advice on this forum I downloaded JW change plug-in, went to Finale preferences, clicked on plug-ins, a new folder appeared, I tried to put the JW change plug-in into it and nothing happened. At the same time I lost a menu item (in Finale) that included the special default plug-ins - including "check range" of instruments in a chart and many other things.. It's gone.. I don't know how to get it back.. I shouldn't have followed the advice to get this JW plug-in because I had solved my problem of changing the note heads of individual notes.

Now I need help restoring those "special" plug-ins that came with the default Finale:

Finale 2014d v5545
MBP mid 2014

PLEASE HELP!!! (I need that check range option back for a huge big band chart!!!)

Thanks in Advance!!!

RK

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 9/20/2015 5:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Deselect your Plug-In checkbox in Finale Preferences. Therefore you need to add JW using Finder, NOT IN FINALE. You need to put it in your Plug Ins folder.
Exit Finale.

Than press: Shift+Cmd+G
Paste:

~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014

OR
~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale2014

(not sure for 2014 version, but this should work:)
~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic

and than select Plug Ins folder and drop it there.

Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Post Edited (OCTO.) : 9/20/2015 5:27:12 AM (GMT-5)

Russk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RusskAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/20/2015 5:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO - Thanks for your help! I deselected the Plug-In checkbox and quit Finale. Then I did Shift+Cmd+G and pasted ~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014 into that.. After that I got this window, dropped in the jwchange bundle and it looks like this. (There was no specific plug-ins folder...

What should I do next?

RK

/Users/russkassoff/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 6.42.45 AM.png
(In case this screen shot can't be seen the files are:)

Audio Units Support
Configuration Files
Finalescript
Font Annotation
Human Playback
jwchange.bundle
Libraries
MIDI Device Annotation
Music Files

Russk
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/20/2015 5:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO - Upon rebooting Finale - it appears that the plug-ins menu choices have returned - even without double clicking on the JWchange.bundle!

I'll play with it for a while.. For now - you're a genius!!!

Thanks!!!

RK

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 9/20/2015 5:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Put another way:

open your Hard Drive, not your User Folder.
Go to Library > Application Support > Make Music > Finale 2014 > Plugins - the plugins go in there.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

“The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Nighttime is for sleeping.”
–Benjamin Britten

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/20/2015 9:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Russk said...
In an effort to listen to some advice on this forum I downloaded JW change plug-in, went to Finale preferences, clicked on plug-ins, a new folder appeared, I tried to put the JW change plug-in into it and nothing happened.

In short, what you did was to change the location of where Finale looks for the plug-ins. That's what the "Folders" bit of Finale's Preferences does.

The plug-ins folder is NOT in the user Library folder (signified by the ~ in OCTO's posts). It remains in the top level /Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014/Plug-ins.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.10.5)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 9/21/2015 1:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
~/Library is the user based and /Library is the system based place.
Is there any difference between Finale 2011 on 10.6.8 and your configuration?

Be aware that ~/Library is always available to the user, and /Library is only available for edit to the Administrator (SUPERUSER). And if you re-install completely your system, just copying the Home folder would bring back your plug-ins, so therefore my recommendation.

Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 77

Posted 9/25/2015 11:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm having the exact same issue....also downloaded a JW plugin and when I created a new folder, lost all my old plugins.

I've followed the instructions here, but the only plug in I am now getting is the JW plugin and I've lost everything else.

One issue I noticed is that despite instructions to the contrary, a "Plug-Ins" folder did NOT already exist in

~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014

So...how do I get my old default plugins to co-exist with the JW plugins?

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 2014d.v5545
Mac OSX 10.10.5

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/25/2015 11:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use your Finder function to search for *.fxt. My guess would be that they're still there but the pointer to them got changed.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 77

Posted 9/25/2015 11:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmm....nothing turns up at all when I search for that string...

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 2014d.v5545
Mac OSX 10.10.5

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/25/2015 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As already said: the location in Preferences > Folders SETS the location of where Finale looks for plug-ins.

If you uncheck that option, it should revert to the default location, which is NOT in the User Library, but in the top level Library folder:

/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014/Plug-ins

That is where you should put the JW plug-in, using the Finder.

Also, the .fxt extension is only used on Windows.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.10.5)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/25/2015 2:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops. Well, search for one of the plug-in names, then. How about "SplitMeasure"? Maybe someone with a Macintosh can give you a name, if not that one.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart