Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > "Radio Orchestra" Score order  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

loweredsixth
Registered Member

Click to send loweredsixth email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to loweredsixthAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 167

Posted 11/27/2016 3:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guys. Suppose you were arranging a Jazz meets symphony orchestra type piece, and you were using instrumentation similar to the old radio orchestras of the 1940-1960 era.

Specifically, if this was the instrumentation, how would you order the instruments in the score? I'm most concerned with the fact that the saxophone players will often double on flutes and clarinets which messes up the order with the dedicated oboist and bassoonist, and whether the horns go above the Trumpets or below.

Oboe
Bassoon
2 Alto Saxes (doubling flute and clarinet)
2 Tenor Saxes (doubling flute and clarinet)
2 Horns
3 Trumpets
2 Trombones
Piano
Bass
Drums
Percussion
Violins
Violas
Cellos

Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 11/27/2016 4:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would put the 2 Horns under the Bassoon, unless you always use them as part of the big band. For the rest, your order looks ok (P.S: guitar and double bass are missing).

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

loweredsixth
Registered Member

Click to send loweredsixth email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to loweredsixthAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 167

Posted 11/27/2016 6:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. So when the Alto Sax players double on flute, do you think it's still okay that they're notated under the bassoon, or should I switch stave order at that point?

Finale 2014.5
Windows 10

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 11/27/2016 7:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
loweredsixth said...
Thanks. So when the Alto Sax players double on flute, do you think it's still okay that they're notated under the bassoon, or should I switch stave order at that point?

Doublers are usually a fixed position in the score. Often page 1 will have them listed as Reed 1, Reed 2, etc with the starting instrument listed above the first measure. On all subsequent pages the actual instrument abbreviation is listed in the margin, but the relative staff position remains fixed. If the Bassoon part is really the Reed 5 part (a Bari. Sax. or Bs. Cl. player typically) it may make more sense to place it below the Tenors, even if that's not how you would do it on a traditional score. If he's an added WW, and not a doubler, I'd do it as you have listed.