Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Expr. doesn't break multimeasure rest  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Lance Handsome
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lance HandsomeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 548

Posted 9/27/2003 11:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I created a rehearsal letter as a measure expression and selected "break multimeasure rest". It doesn't happen. Is there some option I haven't selected elsewhere?

Ken Rubin

"Score till you're sore and can score no more".

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 9/27/2003 12:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try adding a double barline, which you'd probably have anyway, and select "break multi-boy" with that as well. I'm guessing you're rehearsal marking didn't even show up on the extracted parts???

ron davis
http://www.highclassbrass.com

Lance Handsome
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lance HandsomeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 9/27/2003 1:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>I'm guessing you're rehearsal
>marking didn't even show up on
>the extracted parts???

Ron,

Correcto mundo. Is there a way to make it work without the double barlines?

Ken Rubin

Jared Haschek
Registered Member

Click to send Jared Haschek email.Click to visit Jared Haschek's website.Send a Private Message to Jared HaschekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 629

Posted 9/27/2003 1:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Couldn't you just leave it as a normal barline but check the "break multimeasure rest" check box in the measure properties dialogue box (this may not be its official name)?

J.

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 9/27/2003 1:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a way to make it work without the double barlines?

Just use the Measure Attributes box to break the rest, while still showing a normal bar line.

[EDITORIAL:] While I like the concept of having expressions break rests, I have found the function to be inconsistent. Therefore, I always do the "belt and suspenders" thing and set both the expression and the Measure tool to break the rest. This always works.

Cheers,

Gary

Jared Haschek
Registered Member

Click to send Jared Haschek email.Click to visit Jared Haschek's website.Send a Private Message to Jared HaschekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 629

Posted 9/27/2003 1:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Measure Attributes box. I knew it had a better name.

Lance Handsome
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 9/27/2003 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>>[EDITORIAL:] While I like the concept of >>having expressions break rests, I have found >>the function to be inconsistent. Therefore, I >>always do the "belt and suspenders" thing and

I used to do that....

>>set both the expression and the Measure tool

So it is written, so shall it be done. Thanks to all for the help.

Ken Rubin

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 9/27/2003 9:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So far I have never had any problems with
creating a rehearsal letter as a measure
expression and select "break multimeasure rest". I
guess you have done something wrong in your
staff list, perhaps you have choosen only Top
Score Staff and not Top Part Staff?

Björn

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 9/28/2003 9:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not as far as I can tell.

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 9/28/2003 1:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has happened to me once or twice as well, so it's not any problem with staff lists. (i.e. you go into scroll view and the expression is there, double click on it and "Break Multimeasure Rest" is checked).

I suppose this means that we still have to use our eagle-eyes to check parts rather than rely upon technology.