Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Latest pdf into Finale story ?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bcarwell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bcarwellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 70

Posted 2/17/2016 10:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've read that you can import pdf files created by Finale into Finale if they are changed to TIFF files, but it seemed sketchy.

And I've also read of a utility from a company in France that takes pdfs and makes them importable into Finale (maybe as MusicXML ?) But its $200.

So has there been any improved technique for importing Finale's PDFs back into Finale ?

I have Finale 2012.

Bob

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/17/2016 11:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Make sure you are not violating copyright. TIFF is not going to be as good as PDF, since the latter has the info as to what character is being used.i

There is some special program that does this. Someone will know.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 2/17/2016 10:35:31 PM (GMT-6)

bcarwell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bcarwellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 70

Posted 2/18/2016 8:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
NP re copyright. These are my own compositions.

Dunno if the "special program" is the one I was referring to. Its from some outfit in France that allows Finale to accept PDGs. But, as noted,
its $200- a bit rich for my limited use.

Bob

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/18/2016 11:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PDF TO Music Pro will do it IF, AND ONLY IF the PDF was generated directly from a notation program. If it's a scan, it doesn't work. And yes, it's about $200.

The Finale import method runs it through its scanning program, SmartScore Lite. Results are so-so. You would probably have better results with a full scanning program.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 2/18/2016 10:56:17 AM (GMT-6)

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 2/22/2016 7:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I bought the French program, and played with it for a while, using a number of commercial PDFs generated from Finale as input. For simple stuff (one voice per staff, simple rhythms and lyrics), it was good enough almost to be useful - but this kind of music is so easy to enter from scratch, I wondered what was the point.

Sadly, on more complex scores (multiple voices per staff, music cues, complex annotations) it readily gets its knickers in a serious twist.

In more than a few cases, the resulting MusicXML won't even parse correctly - although to be fair, I was using a fairly old version of Dolet.

Perhaps I should upload a couple of (short, fair use) scans as MusicXML here, to show the issues ...

Brian