Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Flip-folder sized music - help!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

NvadrApple
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NvadrAppleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/13/2007 8:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi! I was given a finale file that is the score for a marching tune. They didn't use any kind of template or anything, and I need to print all the different parts to fit in flip folders (I think I need to generate the parts somehow with the marching band template?). I went in the Knowledgebase and this was the answer I found:

Customer Support said...
The Marching Band Template that is provided already contains the correct formatting, so you can start your document with this template or use it as a reference.

The page format for the parts is Octavo (6.75x10.5 - LANDSCAPE)

When you go to print and you want to pages per sheet of paper, this is referred to as 2-up printing. DO NOT use the 2-up option in the Print dialogue box for this. Go into the Printer settings and choose the 2-up option in your printer settings with a portrait orientation. This will put page 1 above page 2 on the same piece of 8x11 paper. It will also scale the size of the printed area down so it will fit on your printable area.

I messed around with this for a very long time, and cannot seem to figure out what to do. Could someone please explain what to do? I would like to print two copies of a part on a page to save space too, and I cannot figure out how to do that either! Thanks a lot, I've used finale before for compositions, but have never messed with formating or printing settings.

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 4/13/2007 9:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

You have two problems:
1 - you cannot "apply" a template to a score/part that has already been created.
2 - the instructions may only work under certain circumstances:
a - your PRINTER has settings to provide "2 up" printing,
b - your PRINTER will automatically fit the 10.5 " wide landscape output into the width of an 8.5" portrait page.

Of course, all this assumes you even want page 1 on the same sheet of paper as page 2, one above the other.  I can't really see how this would facilitate loading into flip folders.  It's been a long time since I marched, but my recollection is that these folders hold SINGLE sheets (approx 5" x 7"), cerlox bound at the top.  If this is the case, never mind trying to use the marching band template or 2-up printing of any kind.  Try this:

open the FULL score, and go to Options> Page Format> Parts
- Set up something like the attached image, adjusting margins and page size to fit your flip folder.  (Note the scaling - it is particularly important.)
- Extract a part for testing (File> Extract Parts)
- open the extracted part, update the layout (Edit> Update Layout)
- Print the part using "1-up" layout.
- If you only have 8.5" x 11" paper, you will have to trim using a paper cutter.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, Win 2K Pro

Post Edited (Doug Blackmore) : 4/13/2007 9:12:53 PM (GMT-5)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
PageFormat.jpg
  41KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1877 time(s).

NvadrApple
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NvadrAppleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/14/2007 12:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks so much! Your explanation was very good, I got it to work perfectly. Thanks again! :)

NvadrApple
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/17/2007 4:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have another quick question. This method works great when someone gives me a score, but I recently plugged in an old marching tune into Finale and tried to do the same thing, extract the parts. They wouldn't work, and the only way I could get it to work was to first extract the score from the Finale file I made and then extract the parts from that. Why does this happen? I thought that the file I originally created with all the parts in it counted as a score?

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/17/2007 7:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To answer this question with precision, we have to know what version of Finale you are using. There is a big difference between Finale 2006 and Finale 2007. I use Finale 2006. The MUS file I use to PRINT the FULL score is not the MUS file I use to extract the individual PART MUS files, but it is a very close copy. Differences include things like measure number position, title sizes and positions, etc. I never try to print a part directly from the full score - individual part files are always extracted. This is a common practice in Finale 2006.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NvadrApple
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2007

Posted 4/17/2007 10:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using Finale 2007.

I transfered a handwritten tune into Finale by just setting up a file with all the parts in it (C, Bb, Eb, F, Bass Cleff instruments). When I went to extract these parts using the settings for flip-folder sized music (the same settings that I used with extracting the parts from the score I was given) they didn't take for some reason, and I was left with another 8x11 page of music. But if I first extracted the score from the Finale file, opened the new score and extracted the parts from that using the flip-folder settings it worked.

I don't know if it matters, but the scores I was given were originally made in Finale 2006. I opened and extracted them with 2007 though.

Post Edited (NvadrApple) : 4/17/2007 11:00:35 PM (GMT-5)

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/18/2007 7:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't have Finale 2007, but I recall someone mentioning a bug regarding Page Format when extracting parts. When extracting parts, the "Page Format for Score" on the extracted part should take on the definition of "Page Format for Parts" from the full score. I.E. Score's Parts Format = Part's Score Format. Apparently, Finale 2007 doesn't do this correctly. This bug is common to a version of Finale from years ago (2000?) - the solution was to set, in the full score, both Score and Parts page format to the format you want in the extracted parts, then extract the parts.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dan S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 20

Posted 9/16/2013 7:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Who knows how to do this for version 2012c?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/16/2013 8:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's in Manage Parts/Part Creation Preferences/Page Format for Parts. You set up the format for the parts, then generate the parts.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

brsmith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to brsmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 150

Posted 9/17/2013 9:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Extract parts, page format, page size 7 x 5.25".  Scale page 70%.  Top 0.5, left and right 0.25", and bottom 0.25".

In my print dialogue box I made a custom Marching Band size of 7 x 5.25".  When I need it I just pull it up.

Get a ream of paper and have it cut to this size.  Cost me $3.00.

brsmith

Dan S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 20

Posted 9/24/2013 4:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's how I do it (without messing with 2-up printing, which always made it way too small to read)...

Printing Flip Folder Size / Lyre Size (for Finale 2012)

Start by:
1. Go to Document > Page Format > Parts
2. Set margins to
a. Top = 0.2
b. Inside = 0.4
c. Outside = 1.8
d. Bottom = 6.0
3. Click “OK”
Now the settings for the parts have been defined, but not yet invoked. Here's how to do that:

1. Go to Document > Manage Parts
2. Click "Generate Parts," then click "Yes" and OK (doing this will pull the settings from the Page Format > Parts and apply them to all the parts

Once you do that, take a look at the parts. If you still have music spread across two systems:

1. Select the Page Layout tool
2. From the Page Layout menu, choose "Space Systems Evenly"
3. Choose "Space Systems On: All Parts" (Current part or score will be selected when you open the window)
4. At the bottom of the window, choose to put 6 systems per page (I didn't see any parts that had more systems than this) and click OK