Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Vertical Font for Finale  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Nowikjoh
Registered Member

Click to send Nowikjoh email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NowikjohAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 51

Posted 8/18/2011 10:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Forgive me if this has been asked before - I checked the forums but could not find anyone asking this question.

I just saw this new vertical font from MUSEGRAPH called Berlin. It looks like it has only been recently released.

Does anyone have any experience with using this? It looks like something I would be interested in!
Would save lots of space in the margins of scores.

Here is the PDF file of the look of the font.

Thanks for any replies!

John, NJ
Home: Finale 2008, Finale 2009, GPO, Kontackt Player 2.0
Dell XPS laptop, Windows XP, service pack 3
Pentium 4 / 3.4 Ghz
2.00 GB RAM

and at school:
Finale 2008, Finale2011
Lenovo ThinkCentre M58, Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3.16ghz
4.00 GB RAM

Les Preludes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Les PreludesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 229

Posted 8/18/2011 11:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do a Google Advanced Search for MUSEGRAPH, for this forum. Lots of discussion, many positive impressions.

Les

Finale 2010, 2011
Mac OSX 10.6.4

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.

Post Edited (Les Preludes) : 8/18/2011 11:51:03 AM (GMT-5)

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 8/18/2011 12:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
as long as you are aware that the font is complete words, and not individual letters, then there is no problem.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2011b
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010, 2011b
GPO 4, Garritan J&BB 3, CoMBand, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 8/18/2011 9:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If it costs anything, save the money. You can create any of these right in Finale as is.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Nowikjoh
Registered Member

Click to send Nowikjoh email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NowikjohAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 8/19/2011 5:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the input! I was looking for a time-saver Zuill!

John, NJ
Pentium 4 / 3.4 Ghz
2.00 GB RAM

and at school:
Finale 2008, Finale2011
4.00 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 8/19/2011 5:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If it saves time, then go for it. If it is shareware, you can use it before you pay for it. Is there a trial period?

Their website refers to making Smart Shapes in Finale to do the vertical text. There is another way, using Shape Expressions, which are easier to use and can be applied and positioned more uniformly. I know they tout using the font as staff names. That may be true, so that is an advantage.

By the way, there is another option to doing vertical text (sideways). That is vertical text stacked as in:

T
e
x
t

This is another method of saving space on the left side of the staff. If you learn how to use line spacing and justification settings, the look can be quite satisfactory.

Zuill

P.S.: I'm just suggesting you may want to consider stacked text as an alternate to sideways text when creating a vertical group or staff name. I took the stock Full Orchestra Template and made just a couple changes to show what I mean. The flat sign was just a letter b in some of the names, so I fixed that (I didn't fix the abbreviated names, but again, that was a template mistake, not mine).

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Post Edited (Zuill) : 8/19/2011 6:10:24 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Full Orchestra with Vertical Text Group Names.mus   45KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 381 time(s).

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 8/19/2011 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You may like to look at forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=278511 This thread includes a free vertical font that I think should work on Windows as well as Mac. Note that spacing between the letters can be adjusted by changing the line spacing. Somebody also supplied a Times vertical font in another thread over on the Mac side.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2010b
Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Nowikjoh
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 8/21/2011 5:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
If it saves time, then go for it. If it is shareware, you can use it before you pay for it. Is there a trial period?

Their website refers to making Smart Shapes in Finale to do the vertical text. There is another way, using Shape Expressions, which are easier to use and can be applied and positioned more uniformly. I know they tout using the font as staff names. That may be true, so that is an advantage.

By the way, there is another option to doing vertical text (sideways). That is vertical text stacked as in:

T
e
x
t

This is another method of saving space on the left side of the staff. If you learn how to use line spacing and justification settings, the look can be quite satisfactory.

Zuill

P.S.: I'm just suggesting you may want to consider stacked text as an alternate to sideways text when creating a vertical group or staff name. I took the stock Full Orchestra Template and made just a couple changes to show what I mean. The flat sign was just a letter b in some of the names, so I fixed that (I didn't fix the abbreviated names, but again, that was a template mistake, not mine).

Thanks Zuill. This is what I have done in the past. But it just doesn't look right to me.
Most professionally printed orchestra scores have the vertical font - rotated to be read left to right - not up-down.

David - I will try out your suggestions in the quoted link you mentioned. (Why couldn't I find this is a search? - OT - Why can't we search topics past 1 year? Or is there some unknown way to do this? I know this stuff still exists since I have bookmarked many old topics from several years ago that can still be accessed.)

John, NJ
Pentium 4 / 3.4 Ghz
2.00 GB RAM

and at school:
Finale 2008, Finale2011
4.00 GB RAM

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 8/7/2014 5:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry to be a necroposter but this thread talks about exactly what I want and the Berlin font isn't available now. I figured out how to to the vertical text with the line. I can't figure out how to make it the default name for the abbreviated staff name.

Nor can I recreate Zuill's way of straightening out the text in the
v
i
o
l
i
n

format, nor how to do it with a shape expression.

I guess what I am asking is what is the best way now of making text vertical for abbreviated staff names in order to free up white space outside the left margin. I would like the same vertical text to appear before every system for each staff. (of course different instrument names for the differents staves.)

Hope I am being clear.

Ron Wasserman
F2014c user since F2000
Desktop: 2012 i5 Macmini 4g ram OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
Laptop: Intel Dual Core, 2g ram, Windows 7
Casio Keyboard midi out to edirol to usb
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/7/2014 5:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron, I did this with a text expression. Type the letters, with a return after each. Select them, and justify>center.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014b, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.3
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
vertical.png
  50KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 403 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 8/7/2014 6:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can just enter the text via the score manager. The justification can be done on the page by editing the positioning settings in the document. Or do both from the page. Right click on the handle to get options.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 8/7/2014 6:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ronwass said...
…Nor can I recreate Zuill's way of straightening out the text in the
v
i
o
l
i
n

format…

1) In the Staff Name, put a Return between all the characters.
That step will position the characters vertically below each other.
You can control the Line Spacing via the Text menu.

2) In the dialog box for the name position (Staff menu > Set Default Name Positions > …
you can Center the text.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014c, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.3, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 8/8/2014 12:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks guys.

Ron Wasserman
F2014c user since F2000
Desktop: 2012 i5 Macmini 4g ram OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
Laptop: Intel Dual Core, 2g ram, Windows 7
Casio Keyboard midi out to edirol to usb
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert