Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Play 2nd X only  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Devo
Registered Member

Click to send Devo email.Personal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 63

Posted Yesterday 8:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't remember how to do Play 2nd X only. Tried velocity but doesn't work. Windows 8.1 Finale 2012 Garritan JABB, Aria player.

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted Yesterday 8:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Devo said...
I can't remember how to do Play 2nd X only. Tried velocity but doesn't work. Windows 8.1 Finale 2012 Garritan JABB, Aria player.

I struggled with this for years. The solution I use works great, but is a little unconventional. I use the expressions to transpose the pitch out of range for the passes where I don't want to hear it.

To do 2nd X only, you can create an expression that does transpose to 0 and have this execute on the second pass only. Then add a hidden expression (maybe called "tacet"), placed before the 2XO expression. That one can execute on all passes, and has transpose = 100.

Or you can do it the other way around. At the beginning of the repeated section, add a hidden mark called "play all x" with transpose = 0 playing on all passes. Then the first note you want on the second pass only, assign the "2XO" expression, but this time execute on pass 1 and do transpose=100.

Either way works fine and I have had zero problems since using that technique. I suppose it could be a problem on a synth that really can play pitches 100 semitones higher.

Devo
Registered Member

Click to send Devo email.Personal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2006

Posted Yesterday 9:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm almost there, everything is silent on first pass but the 2nd Alto sax. Can't figure it out.

Devo
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006

Posted Yesterday 9:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I deleted the 2nd alto notes then reentered them. Works fine now. Thanks so much for your help. Hope I can remember how to do this.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted Yesterday 1:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To mute you can also assign a pass to an unused channel.
Might be easier.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2014d, 2014.5 & v25.2, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.12.2, iMac Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM