Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Score Merger issues  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rbeavers
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rbeaversAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 29

Posted 9/1/2011 5:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey everyone,

I used Score Merger for the first time, and I'm running into a few issues. I'm attaching a couple of files for reference.

1. Instrument names are not pulled in correctly...sometimes they're a different part name altogether, and sometimes they're not pulled in at all.

2. When attempting to change the instrument names, I'm finding that some of the staves seem to be tied to one another, even though there's no evidence of this when checking on the Group attributes (for instance, the Trumpet in stave 4 of the provided example should be Reed 3, but editing one changes the other).

3. Measure numbers are being pulled in for most of the parts, which is expected. However, I'm unable to delete them in a systematic way; unchecking 'measure numbers' under 'Items to Display' (Staff Attributes) has no effect at all. I hope there's a way around manually deleting all measure numbers...

4. The 'drums' part in the score - although seemingly having the same 'staff' and 'notation style' settings as the part itself (Staff Attributes) - is completely wrong. It looks as if it's a contrabassoon part, with "standard" notes hanging several ledger lines below the staff...where in the part, the same "percussion" notes are resting on the top of the staff.

Do you have answers or suggestions to fix any of these issues? I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Ryan

Finale 2009, Windows Vista
Finale 2011, Macbook Pro

File Attachment :
overture_test.mus   95KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 323 time(s).

File Attachment :
overture_dr_rcb.mus   35KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 351 time(s).

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 9/1/2011 6:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
rbeavers said...
...3. Measure numbers are being pulled in for most of the parts, which is expected. However, I'm unable to delete them in a systematic way; unchecking 'measure numbers' under 'Items to Display' (Staff Attributes) has no effect at all. I hope there's a way around manually deleting all measure numbers...

Measure Tool.

Measure menu > Edit Measure Number Regions...

In the dialog box Measure Number you can -

delete measure number regions

or

de-select the option Show On: Top Staff / Bottom Staff

The latter option (= Show On: Top Staff / Bottom Staff) overrides the Staff Attributes.
That's the reason why unchecking 'measure numbers' under 'Items to Display' has no effect at all.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, Dolet 6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/1/2011 6:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as the instrument names, did you create the staff styles for them, or did Score Merger? Start by looking there.

As far as percussion, the Transpose Percussion utility will be helpful here. You just need to reassign the MIDI pitches to the Percussion Layout.

I hope you've used both of these features before. If not, either someone here, or the documentation will help.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

rbeavers
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rbeaversAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 29

Posted 9/4/2011 12:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter - thanks! That did the trick.

Zuill - I, unfortunately, did not create the staff styles (nor the parts - they were created by someone else individually, and my job is to consolidate them into a score). Score Merger must have created the styles.

I looked into the Transpose Percussion utility, but that's going to take some reading and more time than I have at the moment. Am I staring at possibly mapping out the entire part for nearly thirty scores? Sounds like a giant mess. I actually tried applying rhythmic - and then percussion - styles to that stave...it nearly worked, but instead of the triangle notes laying on top of the staff, it stuck them on the center line.

MM Composition, UT Austin
Finale 2009c
Windows Vista

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/4/2011 4:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as the Percussion Layout, if all the scores will use the same layout, you can create it for one, save it as a Library, then load that into all the other files. That would simplify the work greatly.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"