Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Create and format text box  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 1/17/2013 10:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone know a Finalescript that creates a text box and fills it with specified (font and size) text? I can search and replace text well enough, and place the box on the page in a specific spot, but I don't know how initially to create the text box and format its text. Thanks.

Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (currently using 2011b.r2)
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Sonar X2 Essential
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, Aria Player 1.504, Audacity 2.0.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio WK-3000
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
Brother HL-5150D printer
AKG K-240 Studio headphones

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 1/18/2013 9:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Arthur, yes that can be scripted. The following is an example of how I did it:

Mouse 61 203
Text tool
double click
press "z"
press "z"
press "z"

Menu item "Text/Frame Attributes..."
Dropdown "Single Page" near "Page"
Dropdown "Left" near "Horizontal:"
Type 0 near "H:"
Dropdown "Top (Header)" near "Position From:"
Type -0.5 near "V:"
Dropdown "Page margin" near "Position From:"
Check "Position from edge of frame"
UnCheck "Use right page positioning"
Hit OK

Search "zzz" Replace "Instrument" [Palatino Linotype] 15 italic bold

This script uses a function I have never seen in documentation which Robert PiƩchaud (FinaleScipt's creator) told me about, that of using mouse positioning commands. It takes some trial and error because mouse positions are "absolute" but music often is not. Assuming you can determine where the text box goes, invoke the text tool, use the mouse position commands to locate a spot, double click to create a text box and then put something in it like the above. I found that typing "zzz" did not work; it had to be "Press z", "Press z", "Press z" to get "zzz". I chose "zzz" because this is something that would never appear in the music, no matter what the lyrics are.

After creating the text box in some approximate position, it is still active and then can be positioned exactly where desired as in the second part of the above script. Then you can use text search and replace to change "zzz" to what you really want. I found this to be a fast executing script and one that could be easily modified when the actual text was not "Instrument" as the above. Or, more precisely, for me "Instrument" was the standard generic text that I put into the text box so that in subsequent scripts it could easily be replaced with "flute", "clarinet" or whatever.

One word of caution: Mouse position is tricky. One coordinate is the vertical and one is the horizontal. I had to do a lot of trial and error to find a good spot for it. Also, I found that my results were far better controlled and predictable when I preceded the above script with a zoom command to set the music at 75% or 100% or some other level. Then, the same script would create a text box in the same place on different files and I did not have to adapt the script for different situations.

I hope this helps. I have had to become very proficient in FS because I'm processing thousands upon thousands of files and cannot manage the work without the use of automation. (It's a hymnal project with 190 hymns being arranged for 22 different instruments.)

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 1/18/2013 5:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, UCG Musician. I got this to work with some adaptation for my specific needs. I start by double-clicking the location of the text box myself, then starting the script with "press "z" and so forth. It's odd that "type" doesn't work here when it does in other scripts. Thanks again!

Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (currently using 2011b.r2)
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Sonar X2 Essential
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, Aria Player 1.504, Audacity 2.0.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio WK-3000
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
Brother HL-5150D printer
AKG K-240 Studio headphones

fellowing
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to fellowingAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2013
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/5/2013 9:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If there is no rich resources asura almost nothing. Their wealth of knowledge and talent so they invented super quickly dominate the gray coast. They make the position of the jungle goes backward, and their skills to enable them to floating village built on top of a dangerous environment. http://www.neverwintergold.us