Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Windows 8 and Articulation/Expression/SmartShape tools  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

LostLoon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit LostLoon's website.Send a Private Message to LostLoonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2012
Total Posts : 22

Posted 6/15/2015 2:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I work part time on a Win 7 machine and part time on a Win 8 machine. When I upgraded to 2014d it was buggy on the Win 8 machine but I thought it was because I was largely working on old files from earlier Finale versions, but I am now experiencing odd behaviors on brand new files as well.

The attached file was made from a fresh, clean template in 2014, no older Finale version leftovers. When I open it (and other files) on my Win 7 computer all the tools work great, exactly like they should. When I open the same file (and others) on my Win 8 computer, the articulation, expression and smartshape tools all work very strangely. For the articulation and expression tools, none of the programed metatools work, I can't double click and open the usual dialog boxes, and when I click drag it will assign an articulation, but not one of my choosing. Currently it is putting in cessura (sp?) markings in, but it has been different articulations at other times.

For the smartshape tool, it assigns a glissando, regardless of which shape I have selected. Again, some times when I open the file it is a different shape, but the same behavior where I cannot change the shape selection.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of these behaviors on either Win 8 or Win 7? I am trying to figure out if this is coming from the file (and my templates), Finale or my Win 8 machine.

Many thanks!

2014d
Windows 7 / Windows 8
---
http://lostloonmusic.com

File Attachment :
Win 8 test.musx   92KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 247 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 6/15/2015 3:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The 2 you mentioned are metatools assigned, by default, to the F key. You are experiencing the Virtual Stuck Key issue so many have reported. Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

LostLoon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit LostLoon's website.Send a Private Message to LostLoonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2012

Posted 6/15/2015 4:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, thanks, searching for Virtual Stuck Key brought up a ton of great posts!

Both of my machines are laptops.

2014d
Windows 7 / Windows 8
---

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 6/15/2015 5:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it matters. Both laptops and desktops have exhibited the VSKS.

Did restarting fix the problem?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.3
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 6/15/2015 7:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The reason I asked is that, if a desktop, the keyboard is easily replaceable in the event it is more physical than virtual.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

LostLoon
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2012

Posted 6/17/2015 10:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Did restarting fix the problem?

Well... sort of I guess. I have tried restarting, logging out of my user account and logging back in, and reassigning metatools. I guess I was not methodical enough to know what did what, but the good news is I have regained basic functionality of the tools, bad news is it is still a bit odd and irregular, and I have not been able to successfully use any metatools yet at all.

In searching for Virtual stuck key in the archives there are many posts and various ideas of what is happening and how to fix it, ranging from 2011 to today. Does anyone feel like they are in a good position to summarize the problem and its solutions at this point?

2014d
Windows 7 / Windows 8
---

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 6/17/2015 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem is that for no discernable reason, a key will electronically stick. This causes a metatool to activate so that the smartshape or articulation assigned to that key will enter, no matter what is chosen.

Under most circumstances, logout/login or a computer restart will fix it, until the next time it occurs.

This happens on both Windows and Mac computers, and some people never experience it.

So far, no cause has been pinpointed.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.3
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."