Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > This is a great time to switch to Sibelius!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

rsigler
Registered Member

Click to send rsigler email.Click to visit rsigler's website.Send a Private Message to rsiglerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 138

Posted 7/17/2002 12:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't help but read the Finale posts every day...I
was a loyal user for YEARS! When Coda
announced they were taking their time with OSX, I
decided to give Sibelius a try. (I bashed Sibelius
in the past, and only passed on the praises of < br> Finale...many school purchases of Finale were < br> based on my love for the program.)

I must say that Sibelius is a great program. And < br> they are now offering a $100 savings to Finale < br> users. So if you are a student/educator, you can < br> get the program for around $150 bucks.

Sibelius can do many things that Finale can't (select and copy articulations, great playback features, etc), and
for my type of work (mostly marching band
arrangements), Sib has saved me tons of time < br> editing parts, extracting parts, adjusting layout, < br> etc. I could go on and on.

Good luck to those of you who stick with Finale. < br> Hopefully CODA will get their act together. To < br> those that are mad (as I was) give the Sibelius < br> demo a try...I learned the program in less than a < br> week.

Best wishes,

Rob

somusque
Developer

Click to send somusque email.Click to visit somusque's website.Send a Private Message to somusqueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 1169

Posted 7/18/2002 8:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,

whilst I consider it possible that you can do scores with products other than Finale, these posts are a clear abuse of this forum. This is a support forum for Finale, not a product comparison / general discussion forum. It's quite immoral to use a forum payed for by Coda for a competitive campaign. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. As though the Internet weren't full of other places where you can say these things!

I am glad we haven't had censorship here, but posts like this may just be the cause for a change. I certainly would not allow anything like this on my own forum.

Imagine you had a forum on your notation or music sites and people started to recommend not listening to your music or canceling your services and start getting them elsewhere. You'd love that for sure ...

Cheers,
Tobias

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 7/18/2002 11:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And by the way you can select and copy articulations in Finale.

Dan Powers
www.swanswingpress.com

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 7/20/2002 8:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 7/18/2002 4:12:00 PM, Daniel Powers wrote:
>And by the way you can select
>and copy articulations in
>Finale.
>
>Dan Powers
>www.swanswingpress.com

And by the way, you CAN'T select and copy articulations with Sibelius.

Tyler
Coda Tech

mmjw
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmjwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2001
Total Posts : 16

Posted 7/21/2002 3:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suppose Tobias is correct, although I
would hope that a post like that would
generate a great number of replies
supporting Finale. If you just take a step
back from the enormous OS change
implemented by Apple, the only thing
which would be different in Finale X
would be the interface. How often do you
use the 'save as' comand, which in X
would have beautiful aqua colours?
Almost never! OS X is undoubtedly a
fanastic new OS, but don't let that
obscure the fact that Finale is by far the
most advanced, flexible and timesaving
notation program available. There is no
point in having a wonderful looking
interface (OS X) if the program (Sibelius)
is designed for to be easy for beginners,
without the depth which Finale has.

Having said that, Sibelius is certainly
improving, and Coda must realise that it
is a very great competitor. Finale must be
not only the better program, be be
perceived to be so. The OS X is a case in
point. Nobody wants stupid gimmicks like
Mic Notator, web publishing, exercise
wizard and rhyming dictionary. What we
do want has be documented elsewhere,
is far more useful to real users, but can't
be printed in bold type on the publicity.

Look at http://www.apple.com/creative/
musicaudio/steinberg/ for a great
example of advance marketing for
Cubase. Mac users are left in no doubt
that Steinberg are 100% behind Cubase
on OS X . Because of some ridiculous
arcane marketing strategy, FinMac users
have to scrabble around in this shabby
little forum, resorting to inane speculation
about Coda's OS strategy. If we knew that
FinMacX was 9 months away, but Coda
were working hard on it, we might stick
with it. As it is, Finale is haemorrhaging
users to Sibelius.

Martin

somusque
Developer

Click to send somusque email.Click to visit somusque's website.Send a Private Message to somusqueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999

Posted 7/21/2002 3:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> If we knew that FinMacX was 9 months
> away, but Coda were working hard on it,
> we might stick with it.

There has been an announcement by Coda Tech that the next major Finale release will work in a native way on OS X (I guess Carbon). And I think they also said that they have indeed worked hard for it already. So, it's approx. 12 months ...

Cheers,
Tobias

musicpubl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicpubl's website.Send a Private Message to musicpublAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 429

Posted 7/23/2002 1:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry, but I don't trust that, Tobias.

One CodaTech trying to appease angry users in a humble
statement doesn't in any way compare to that Cubase link.

I don't trust that Coda is putting resources into OS X any more than
it has in addressing past user requests and bug fixes.

I will not be shocked if the next version comes out and Coda is still
not Carbonized, or Cocoa-ized. In fact I won't be shocked if Coda
drops the Mac platform as a whole.

somusque
Developer

Date Joined Feb 1999

Posted 7/23/2002 2:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> I'm sorry, but I don't trust that,
> Tobias.

Ok, if you don't trust that, trust me: the next major version of Finale, to be released in the year 2003, will run natively on OS X. Trust me.

Cheers,
Tobias

musicpubl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicpubl's website.Send a Private Message to musicpublAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 429

Posted 7/23/2002 4:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay. I do trust you, so I'll take you on your word.

Jerry Engelbach
Registered Member

Click to send Jerry Engelbach email.Click to visit Jerry Engelbach's website.Send a Private Message to Jerry EngelbachAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 109

Posted 7/25/2002 1:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Tobias,

>I am glad we haven't had censorship here.

I agree with that part of your earlier post. Forget the rest.

Coda can benefit from the free exchange of information, positive and negative. I think just the existence of this forum has enhanced Coda's image.

Finale has received overwhelming support from forum users over Sibelius. Far from providing a platform for bashing Finale, the response of loyal Finale users has actually made it a platform for bashing Sibelius.

Remember, it's Sibelius who is afraid to let non-users access to their forums. Censorship always works against the censor.