Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > .musx attachments blocked as malware  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jeiche@halleonard.com
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jeiche@halleonard.comAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 4

Posted 12/9/2016 6:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of our writers is trying to e-mail .musx files to an engraver, and the malware filter on our e-mail server blocks the messages. The reason given is that the attachments contain .jar (Java archive) files, which are a potential means of spreading malware.

1. Do .musx files really contain .jar files?
2. If not, why does the malware filter think they do?
3. If so, is there a way to prevent them from doing so?

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/9/2016 6:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try "zip"ing the file before sending.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 12/9/2016 7:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So ... a Hal Leonard email server blocks Finale files.... No, that is the punch line.

Files generated by Finale 2014 could make calls to Java. Those generated by Finale 25 do not. Both will end in .musx.

Email automatically zips attachments. I don't know that zipping a file beforehand helps but it's worth a try.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 12/9/2016 8:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try replacing ".musx" with ".doc" and then email with instructions for the person receiving the file to to then change ".doc" to ".musx" after it is received.

It is the only way for some military libraries to receive files or so I have been told when I send them files.

Of course this doesn't answer questions, but might be a work around.

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 12/10/2016 1:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think there's a big difference between the military and the largest sheet music publisher in the world when it comes to blocking Finale files.

Just saying...

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/10/2016 4:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jeiche@halleonard.com said...
1. Do .musx files really contain .jar files?
2. If not, why does the malware filter think they do?
3. If so, is there a way to prevent them from doing so?

1. Seems unlikely. MusicXML uses Java to operate, but I can't see why a .jar file would be inside a .musx file.
.musx files are a zipped collection of various files and folders. (So further zipping is unlikely to help.) You can make a copy, give it a .zip file ending, extract it, and inspect the contents to see if .jar files are inside.

2. It wouldn't be the first time that malware filters were either wrong or aggressively over-cautious.

3. Ask your IT Support team or the developer of the filter.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 1.png
  42KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 816 time(s).

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 12/10/2016 7:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MikeHalloran said...
I think there's a big difference between the military and the largest sheet music publisher in the world when it comes

Well sure and I would hope so, but it is the only way to get their music libraries needed files many times. Don't forget the military also includes the academies which fall under both .mil and .edu which many times is not exactly conducive to education.

Basically they do what they can to get the job done and I would assume so would we if we needed that file for a performance in few hours :)

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

jeiche@halleonard.com
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jeiche@halleonard.comAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 12/12/2016 10:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to all for your help. The culprit is the "META-INF" subfolder of a MUSX file: JAR files contain a subfolder of that same name, so that evidently is what our malware filter uses to identify these as JAR files. (And no, zipping does nothing to help them escape scrutiny.)

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/12/2016 1:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks to all for your help. The culprit is the "META-INF" subfolder of a MUSX file: JAR files contain a subfolder of that same name, so that evidently is what our malware filter uses to identify these as JAR files. (And no, zipping does nothing to help them escape scrutiny.)

I expected something like that. Some of the new filters are overly aggressive.

Many companies now prohibit the sending of credit card info in email. Unfortunately, the latest GMail filters look for words such as VISA, Amex, Discover etc. as are often contained in invoices and payment instructions.

More than one IT department is scratching their heads over this one.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/12/2016 2:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Out of curiosity, which version of Finale saved these files? Was it v25.2?

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/12/2016 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
Out of curiosity, which version of Finale saved these files? Was it v25.2?

The file format has been consistent since 2014.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/13/2016 1:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So, what are you doing to transfer the files via email?  Renaming the extension prior to sending may not work, since the META-INF folder is still there.  You could defeat the filter blocking files containing a META-INF directory by unzipping the MUSX file, changing the META-INF to something entirely different, say FNI-ATEM, or anything else that doesn't contain META-INF, then re-zipping the file back into a MUSX, and emailing.  It is understood that the recipient will have to reverse the process on his side before attempting to read the MUSX into Finale.  You could mutually agree on a name for the META-INF directory.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

jeiche@halleonard.com
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 12/13/2016 2:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now the files can be sent. I'm not sure what changed.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/13/2016 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The future is in cloud sharing. That would probably prevent these kind of issues.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/13/2016 4:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now the files can be sent. I'm not sure what changed.

It could be that the host made some tweaks to accommodate customer complaints.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps