Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25 wants to decide which file is my Default Document!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Me Myself
Only Me

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Me MyselfAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 165

Posted 8/18/2016 9:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there,

Just bought, downloaded and installed Finale25. It REALLY opens faster than any Finale I have used! That's a blessing. But when that's said, I have some real issues with it. (And I haven't even started working with it yet because of this...)

Whatever .ftmx-file I select as the Default Document in Edit/Preferences/New... it always opens the Maestro Font Default.ftmx file when I type CTRL+N! Also in the Setup Wizard window when selecting open Default File... it opens the Maestro Font Default file! I don't need that! I want to open my template file.

I have, of course, created my own .ftmx file in Finale 2014.5 that I wanted to use in F25 as my default file and first I thought it was corrupted so I changed the default file to the Handwritten Default.ftmx that is shipped with F25... (just to test) but, alas, it still opens the Maestro Font Default.ftmx!!?? Say what?

I have deleted the FINALE.INI file (that even has this line in it: DefaultFile=C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale\Music Files\Default Files\MyDefault.ftmx) but on restarting F25 it recreates a new FINALE.INI with exactly the same content (even the line: DefaultFile=C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale\Music Files\Default Files\MyDefault.ftmx) but it still opens the Maestro file. Sigh... It is as if the program ignores its own INI file!

How can I make F25 realize I want to decide which file to open as my Default Document?
Does anyone else here have this problem?

Thank you!

Finale 2012b, Finale 2014d, Finale 2014.5 Windows 7 64-bit, i7 - 2,96 GHz 12GB ram.
Brother DCP-9270CDN

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 8/18/2016 9:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I simple create my own template and open that to start.
I only use the open Default when I want to test something for this forum and want a file to open quickly for scratch purposes.

Still, I am sure there is a way to use your own file as a default as was possible in the past. Is it possible that the default in the C://Program Data folder overrides any changes you put in your Roaming folder? I suggest you file a Support case on the MM web site to seek a more authoritative explanation of what you need to do.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Me Myself
Only Me

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Me MyselfAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 8/18/2016 9:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Derrek,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe you misunderstood...? I also create my own template. I have never used the ones that are shipped with Finale and wants to open MY default file. I have created/developed a default file through the many years with Finale, that I have tweaked and made exactly as I want it and I need *that* file to open when I press CTRL+N not the shipped Maestro one.
If no one else has this problem, I will open a Support case. It is not an option to buy a new (better?) software and things are not working as expected.

Finale 2012b, Finale 2014d, Finale 2014.5 Windows 7 64-bit, i7 - 2,96 GHz 12GB ram.
Brother DCP-9270CDN

Me Myself
Only Me

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 8/18/2016 11:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I found a solution that works... but isn't very satisfying and a sign that something is fishy.

I simply renamed the shipped "Maestro Font Default.ftmx" -> "Maestro Font Default.ftmx.old" and then named my own template "Maestro Font Default.ftmx". Now F25 opens *my* file (now named "Maestro Font Default.ftmx") even if the FINALE.INI reads: DefaultFile=C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale\Music Files\Default Files\MYOWNTEMPLATE.ftmx...

Weird to say the least.

Brother DCP-9270CDN

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 8/18/2016 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could have edited Finale.Ini to identify your preferred default. When you deleted Finale.ini, all you accomplished was to force Finale to find what it thinks the default file should be.

Finale 2014.5

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Me Myself
Only Me

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 8/18/2016 12:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
You could have edited Finale.Ini to identify your preferred default. When you deleted Finale.ini, all you accomplished was to force Finale to find what it thinks the default file should be.

Hi Ron, I did edit the ini file. I wrote:
DefaultFile=C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale\Music Files\Default Files\MyDefault.ftmx but F25 still opens "Maestro Font Default.ftmx. I have no idea why.

Brother DCP-9270CDN

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 8/18/2016 1:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Until this is fixed, you can use File->New->Document From Template and pick the one you want. Not as convenient, I know, but how often are you creating new files?

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 8/18/2016 3:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is very odd. It works for me in v25 in Win 10 (I do see you're on Win 7 and certainly MS tweaked the Roaming functionality in the past few versions)
Did you try browsing to your file in Preferences - New?
And you did set the radio button to Default New Action - Default file (It would default to the Setup Wiz)
And in Preferences - Folders, default files are pointing to the right location?
I even tried the old trick of copying a file into the /Music Files/Document Styles to see it appear in the Setup Wiz and that worked.

If problems continue, do open a case.

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Me Myself
Only Me

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 8/19/2016 10:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Johnson said...
This is very odd. It works for me in v25 in Win 10 (I do see you're on Win 7 and certainly MS tweaked the Roaming functionality in the past few versions)
Did you try browsing to your file in Preferences - New?
And you did set the radio button to Default New Action - Default file (It would default to the Setup Wiz)
And in Preferences - Folders, default files are pointing to the right location?
I even tried the old trick of copying a file into the /Music Files/Document Styles to see it appear in the Setup Wiz and that worked.

If problems continue, do open a case.

Thanks Michael,

Yes, I have done all the above correctly (in Preferences - New, I browsed to my file. I did set the radio button to open my Default file. In Preferences - Folders I directed to the folder the files are located in) and Finale still opens only the Maestro Font Default.ftmx file. My solution was to rename my own default template file to Maestro Font Default.ftmx. But I have never had this problem before. The (not so funny) thing is that I have exactly the same issues on my brand new HP 360 Spectre Convertible laptop with WIN10 installed! F25 refuses to open any other file than Maestro Font Default.ftmx.
I have installed lots of Finale for many, many years and never had this issues. Go figure.

Am I the only one? Anyone?

Brother DCP-9270CDN

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 8/19/2016 10:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Me Myself,

Woks fine for me.  You must be doing something wrong.

Make sure you are actually modifying the correct FINALE.INI file.  The new v25 puts things in a "Finale" directory without a 25 added, as opposed to previous versions which had the version number added like F2014.5.

Make sure you restart Finale for any changes in FINALE.INI to have a chance of being implemented.  Maybe not strictly required, but it can't hurt.  Clicking "Apply" in preferences was enough for me.  [UPDATE] It appears this is true only as long as the current Finale session is running.

[UPDATE]  Apologies.  Upon further review, if you restart Finale, the Default Document reverts to Maestro Font Default, no matter what you have stored in FINALE.INI/Preferences.  Seems to be a bug.  Definitely not the way F2014/.5 works.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 8/19/2016 11:21:18 AM (GMT-5)

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 1268

Posted 8/19/2016 11:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Me Myself said...

I too am getting this bug! I specified my default file under Preferences/New/Default Document and also checked Default New Operation: Default Document. Every time I use CTRL+N or File/New/Default Document I get the shipping default, not my default!

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/19/2016 11:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fred G. Unn said...
Me Myself said...

I too am getting this bug! I specified my default file under Preferences/New/Default Document and also checked Default New Operation: Default Document. Every time I use CTRL+N or File/New/Default Document I get the shipping default, not my default!
I got the specified, i.e. my default until I restarted Finale.

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Click to send Fred G. Unn email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fred G. UnnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 8/19/2016 11:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I open the Finale.ini file (in the correct AppData/Roaming/MakeMusic/Finale folder) the path for the default file is correct as "DefaultFile=E:\Documents\Finale Files\Default Files\XXXX's Default (2014).ftmx" but New always opens the shipping default. It's like the default is hardwired in or something. File/open of course works to open the correct file. Can anyone other than "Me Myself" and I (haha) verify this?

EDIT: Just saw your update Charles.

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/19/2016 11:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fred,

I put in a complicated path with spaces, etc. and the resultant entry in FINALE.INI does not have the usual Windows OS requisite quotes around the entire path.  If you have them try removing them.

This issue is surely a bug in F25, not seen in F2014/.5.  Previous bugs in this regard had been fixed by F2014/.5, IIRC.

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 8/19/2016 11:22:41 AM (GMT-5)

Fred G. Unn
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 8/19/2016 11:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...

I put in a complicated path with spaces, etc. and the resultant entry in FINALE.INI does not have the usual Windows OS requisite quotes around the entire path.

Hi Charles,
I was just using the quotes to show what I had on that line. There are no quotes in my actual Finale.ini file, but there aren't any in my 2014.5 Finale.ini file either and it seems to work fine. Are you saying that there should be quotes there as per Windows OS standards?

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 8/19/2016 1:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been able to reproduce the issue now after restarting Finale. I'll work with Customer Success and get the issue written up. Thanks for your persistence.
Cheers,
Michael

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Me Myself
Only Me

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 8/19/2016 2:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all,

Well, it's good to see I am not getting crazy. Only more gray hair! But sad many of you are experiencing this. It's definitely a bug since it is also on my laptop.
Michael, I hope Customer Success :-) can fix this soon.

Me

Brother DCP-9270CDN

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 8/19/2016 2:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fred G. Unn said...
Charles Lawrence said...

I put in a complicated path with spaces, etc. and the resultant entry in FINALE.INI does not have the usual Windows OS requisite quotes around the entire path.

Hi Charles,
I was just using the quotes to show what I had on that line. There are no quotes in my actual Finale.ini file, but there aren't any in my 2014.5 Finale.ini file either and it seems to work fine. Are you saying that there should be quotes there as per Windows OS standards?
Fred,
No, I was just suggesting that if you had the quotes there to remove them, as Finale apparently does not want them.  It probably just arbitrarily puts quotes around the data anyway, since the Windows OS certainly requires them if there are spaces anywhere in the path/file name.  If this is what they do, then there would be double quotes which won't work.

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02