Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do I create 2 bar repeats?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dave2005
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dave2005AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 100

Posted 7/4/2005 8:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm under a time restraint (gotta submit this chart by tomorrow morning, and it's 32 pages long without repeat bars!) and have no time to figure this out myself...just switched from PC to mac so I'm having trouble figuring out some very basic stuff! Help! :)

Finale 2005, Windows ME, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-920

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 7/4/2005 9:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Repeat Tool.

Select the two measures.

Repeat Menu > Create Simple Repeat

Bill

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 7/4/2005 10:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...or, if you mean the Two-Bar Repeat symbol:

Staff Tool.
Select the two measures.
Staff menu > Apply Staff Style...

In the dialog box Apply Staff Style you will see a list of all the staff styles created in the document.
If your document was created from the Default Document, the "Two-Bar Repeat" staff style is #8.

If the staff style "Two-Bar Repeat" isn't there, then you will have to create it first, or import it from a library of staff styles.

Peter

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 7/4/2005 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dave,

You might want to change your signature to reflect which Mac & OS you are now using.

Jim Coull

dave2005
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dave2005AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 7/4/2005 6:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks much. Problem solved, now I'm off to hand in the chart in a couple of hours. One thing though, it seems like the measures are still just as large even though the 2 measure repeat signs have replaced a lot of notes...is this something that can be automatically resized?

I tried to change my sig, Jim, and in the edit page it DOES mention my Macs...but for some reason it isn't coming up here though I went back and hit submit twice. ??

Finale 2005, g4 Powerbook 1.5GB RAM, g5 iMac 1.5GB RAM, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-920

dave2005
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 7/4/2005 6:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh...guess I need to create a new post first. :p

Finale 2005, g4 Powerbook 1.5GB RAM, g5 iMac 1.5GB RAM, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-920

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/4/2005 6:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like it does now (reflect the change).

Anyway, are your systems locked? If so, unlock them and apply note spacing and see if anything changes.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 7/5/2005 12:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"...it seems like the measures are still just as large even though the 2 measure repeat signs have replaced a lot of notes...is this something that can be automatically resized?"

In addition to Zuill's suggestion, you should:

1. Make sure that hidden notes are not accounted for in the spacing (Options Menu > Document Options > Music Spacing > uncheck Avoid Collisions of Hidden Notes)

2. Make sure that you minimum measure width is a small enough value (same dialog box as above, try 0.25 inch or so)

3. Use the Mass Edit Tool to reapply Music Spacing

4. Update the layout (Edit Menu > Update Layout or command \) after you have done everything else.

Jim Coull

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/5/2005 1:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim,

I believe that applying the 2 bar repeat supercedes the music spacing of the notes not seen, so that they are not treated like hidden notes in the usual sense, thus not requiring the need to uncheck that option in the music spacing window.

All of my tests and experiences with this issue lead me to this conclusion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 7/5/2005 9:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"...applying the 2 bar repeat supercedes the music spacing of the notes not seen..."

You are probably right - I've never really checked it out and don't have Finale up now to run a test. I was just listing some other factors that can influence the measure widths.

Jim Coull