Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tool Palette icon customization  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/21/2013 4:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For those who prefer one of the old styles of tool icons and might be willing to tinker with their copy of Finale:

You may find that the old sets are still stored in /Finale 2014/Contents/Resources/ in folders such as "Palette_Studio_Bronze". The 2014 default is titled "Palette_LightTheme".
Simply change the names of the folders round, and hey presto, you've got the old icons back. If you don't have the old folders for some reason, then you'll need to copy them from a previous version of Finale.

Bear in mind that if you have a Retina display, you will need to create your own versions of the @2x.icns files. Also bear in mind that the new icon "squares" seem to be slightly less tall, so the icons may appear a bit cropped. Studio Bronze seems to work well.

There are 285 icons files in the 2012 sets, and 567 files in 2014. It might be nice for users to offer each other their own designed sets, though it may entail a fair bit of work.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014, 2.6Ghz 2012 MacMini 16Gb RAM (10.9); 2009 MacBook
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 12/22/2013 4:09:15 AM (GMT-6)

jwhitmill
Registered Member

Click to send jwhitmill email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jwhitmillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 154

Posted 1/10/2014 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm... I find no such folders. My Resources folders for 2014, 2012 and 2011 have only Backgrounds and Manuscript Textures.

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/10/2014 2:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They are in the application itself, not in the Library folders.

Right-click on the application, and select "Show Package Contents".

"This is me helping."

jwhitmill
Registered Member

Click to send jwhitmill email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jwhitmillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 1/10/2014 10:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, cool - got that to work. But the 2012 icons ported to 2014 are so much smaller - still not very usable.

Studio Bronze wasn't available in 2014 - only the LightTheme palette.

jwhitmill
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2000

Posted 1/10/2014 10:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm going to try doing a piece with 2014 - but I'd really like to have the size of the 2012 palette back.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/11/2014 12:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately, Windows doesn't have this option.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

555 95472
My friends call me "5".

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to 555 95472AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 26

Posted 1/11/2014 11:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My issue is that the buttons are TOO LARGE. I have always used the Traditional button set. These are a good bit smaller than all the other sets. I use a small monitor (by choice) and the new buttons are just a tad too large to fit on my screen in the layout I have used since about 1998 or so. This is very irritating, to have to alter my work habits over a single pixel of width and height.

In the past I could easily (well, relatively easily) use ResEdit to alter things like this or even draw my own buttons.

Is there a ResEdit for OS X? I have never found one. I simply want to make all the buttons the same size as the Traditional set, which worked great on screens with limited real estate. The other sets were ridiculously huge (and pretty horrible looking, IMO). These new ones are pretty decent looking, save for two or three of them. I would not mind keeping them. But I need them to be SMALLER.

Anyone know about a good, easy to use resource editor for the current Mac OS? Or is there some other way to hack into Finale to alter the button size? This *is* that important to me and to my workflow.

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/11/2014 11:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OS X doesn't use resources in quite the same way that Classic Mac does. The need for a Resource Editor like ResEdit is much less -- although some things do still use the Resource framework.
But many resources are just individual files inside the application bundle, as in this case.

You may just be able to create your own icons that are smaller: that might work, or they may just appear smaller within the same box. I don't know. It depends how they've been programmed.

However, since I've started using keyboard shortcuts for the tools that I use, I almost never need to go to the tool palette and select one. It's much faster. I have been trying different positions and layouts for the palettes over the years I've been using Finale, and still don't feel any one is particularly optimal. It doesn't take very long to get accustomed to new positions. (A bit like natural scrolling! smilewinkgrin )

As I've said elsewhere, perhaps the community might come together and create a user-inspired set of Tool icons?

"This is me helping."

555 95472
My friends call me "5".

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to 555 95472AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 1/11/2014 2:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, from what I can see using your above method, the icons are sized to fit within buttons that are a size that is not alterable. The Traditional icons are stretched to fit and look really bad, plus, the point is to make the buttons smaller, the palettes smaller. These need to be altered within the program as a hack. Swapping the icons does not change the size of the buttons.

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/11/2014 3:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, but I don't think you're going to be able to open up something in a program and find an easily-labelled "Size of palette icons:" field that you can just set to a different value.

"This is me helping."

555 95472
My friends call me "5".

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 1/11/2014 4:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You're not getting what I want to do. I want to use a resource editor. Those edit the size and shape and locations of buttons in dialog windows, what the options are, where they appear on the screen. I am not looking for a way to resize the icons, as I said. I want to resize the buttons themselves. You have not worked with ResEdit much, have you? I need to tweak how the buttons are displayed. That is what ResEdit does. I do not wish to play with icons, but the resource that uses the icons. You can alter hex values and such. I can make your Shut Down screen have only one button, or it can be yellow, or it can be in the upper right of the window. The dialog can be altered from "Are you sure you want to shut your computer down?" to "I am Wiggy. This is me helping." And the choices can be altered to read, "Scrape" Bump" "Fart" and "Miley Cirus" if you wish. This would be native to the OS or to the application I hack into. It is not a re-skinning with new icons. It is a permanent alteration of either the code of the OS or of the application. I am looking for a developer tool like that for OS X so I can alter how my copy of Finale displays the toolbars, both the header bars and the button frames themselves. But I cannot find anything like that for OS X. ResEdit was a great tool in the classic Mac system software.

Post Edited (555 95472) : 1/11/2014 3:16:23 PM (GMT-6)

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 1/12/2014 3:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I have used RedEdit a fair bit, back in the last century when you could use it to do such things.

You can't edit User interface dialogs with a resource editor in OS X. Dialogs and other interface controls are not stored in DLOG resources, as they were in Classic Mac OS.
They are stored in a thing called a NIB file, (Next Interface Builder). In early OS X, you could use the Interface Builder app in Xcode to edit nib files, but in recent versions, the .nib files are compiled and cannot be edited.

There is a Resource editor for OS X: It's called ResKnife. Knock yourself out.

"This is me helping."

555 95472
My friends call me "5".

Date Joined Feb 2012

Posted 1/12/2014 12:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is what I am complaining about. I wanted to know whether anyone knew of a recent tool that would allow you to access them, alter them, and recompile them. You do not know of one. Thanks.

Patrick Rice
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Patrick Rice's website.Send a Private Message to Patrick RiceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 119

Posted 9/9/2016 10:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just started using 2014.5 and found this thread. I'd love to go back to the traditional tool pallet but can't find any of the folders listed in this thread. I'm using Windows 7 currently and have searched everywhere including the registry for where the pallet selections is stored. Maybe it's hard coded into Finale 2014.5. The decision to strip out that option is a poor one IMHO! Anyone have any success in circumventing this?
Pat

Patrick Rice
Transcriber - Engraver
www.pdreditions.com
So-so plugin developer
Windows XP Pro
Windows 7 Pro
Windows 10
Finale 2014.5, 2012, 2011, 2010 ... back to 3.1

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/10/2016 4:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Patrick Rice said...
I'd love to go back to the traditional tool pallet but can't find any of the folders listed in this thread. I'm using Windows 7 currently and have searched everywhere including the registry for where the pallet selections is stored.

The instructions are for MacOS, and the mechanism for storing app resources in Windows may well be entirely different.

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN