Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Importing Drum Kit notation from one file to another?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 11/3/2016 5:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there an easy and direct way to import the Drum Kit notation I set up in an earlier existing file into a file currently in progress?

Because I don't use Kit very often, I may find setting it up in Finale the way I want prone to frustration and error.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/3/2016 7:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can save a library for "Percussion Layouts". Import it into your present working file and, I'm guessing, re-link the percussion stave to your choice of layout.

Not sure if this works, but it's something I'd try. Do it on a copy of your file just in case.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 11/3/2016 9:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you: I'll definitely try your suggestion next time.

On the present occasion, I've started to make the deviations from the default that I want via Score Manager>Percussion>Settings>Drum Set. At first I encountered a problem with crashing, but I think this only occurred when I used a two finger trackpad scroll in the dialogue window. I'm pretty sure that if I grab the side scroll bar instead, Finale doesn't crash. I'll report back if I also get frequent crashes with this method. (Either way, I'll save immediately before going to the dialogue.)

David Ward

full TGTools

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 11/3/2016 10:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you concerned with playback, or just visual appearance?

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

David Ward
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 11/3/2016 11:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
Are you concerned with playback, or just visual appearance?
Unfortunately, the piece in question involves collaboration with a visual artist, so some kind of playback for those sections of the piece which can be approximately played a la computer would be useful.

For some sections of the piece playback will be downright impossible (as far as I can judge)*, so she'll have to attempt to glean what she can from my singing and waving my arms around; but where (approximate) playback is feasible, I do indeed want it.

In rehearsal and performance the musicians will be responding to projections from the artist (both still and moving video), but the closer our starting point at the beginning of rehearsal, the better. (We've got a year before formal rehearsal.)

*Very high naturally pitched harmonics on the cello, up to and including the 14th, some of which fall between the pitches of equal temperament. Partial improvisation (derived from precise material) of cadenza sections to coincide with moving video &c &c &c.

I'm due a meeting with the artist on Saturday and am expecting to travel for that tomorrow, hence my immediate concern with this.

David Ward

full TGTools

Post Edited (David Ward) : 11/3/2016 11:16:50 AM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/3/2016 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The best way is with a Library that has the Layout you have created. I'm guessing the map is already in the new file. You can save a Library with just one item by deleting all the others first.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Skjalg
Accordion man

Click to send Skjalg email.Click to visit Skjalg's website.Send a Private Message to SkjalgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2000
Total Posts : 927

Posted 11/3/2016 1:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When moving drum set parts between files Transpose Percussion Notes... is a quick and easy fix.

Skjalg Bjørstad, Norway

Finale 3.0.6 > 2014.5, Macbook Pro OS X El Capitan (10.10.3), 8 gB RAM, 750 gB, Garritan JABB, GPO full version, Garritan COMB, Komplete 8 (Kontakt 5 etc.); Akai MPK mini, PreSonus AudioBox USB, Logic Pro X A live recording here.