Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Lyrics in Japanese  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RichardtheTechAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 7

Posted 2/24/2005 7:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most of the work I do is with a Japanese chorus in Boston, but I have been unable to figure out how to enter Japanese lyrics in Finale. I don't need (or want) Japanese menus, etc. The only thing I need to do is enter lyrics in Japanese fonts. Anyone know how this can be accomplished? Thanks.

Quin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to QuinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 1

Posted 2/24/2005 10:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I live in Japan and have set my Windows operating system to be able to read and write in Japanese (see http://greggman.com/japan/xp-ime/xp-ime.htm for a good walkthrough on how to do this-- don't worry, you don't need to change your keyboard settings like he suggests to make it work). If you've never done this, it's quite handy-- simply by pressing Ctrl-Shift, it lets you alternate between Japanese and English input. However, it works on a program-by-program basis, and many programs don't support it, or require special files to be loaded.

I use Finale 2001, and I can guarantee that 2001 does not support Japanese Fonts. Maybe a newer edition does, I don't know. Try setting your OS to input Japanese first, and then make sure that the font you use for lyrics is Japanese compatible, e.g. MS Mincho. If it doesn't work then, maybe Finale simply doesn't support it, even now.

But that would surprise me, as I know there is a Finale Japanese edition.

Quin

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RichardtheTechAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 2/24/2005 11:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Quin.  Yes, I already use the Japanese IME for other things (like Outlook Express and Adobe Photoshop), so I was disappointed when I tried it with Finale and it didn't work (just displayed ???? on entry). The Finale documentation doesn't seem to have any information (that I could find) on foreign character sets or encoding, nor does the knowledge base. The Finale Web site, I believe, claimed that they don't sell the Japanese version outside of Japan (and it probably wouldn't run on my English Windows OS anyway). It seems rather short-sighted not to build at least unicode support into every edition, since musicians in any country deal with an international repertoire. Thanks again for your reply.

Richard Scott
Technical Support
Chorus Boston

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/25/2005 2:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I set the font to MS Mincho I get the Japanese letters. I have Windows XP Home. The only thing you have to be certain of is in the font box, choose Japanese in the Script selection box in the lower left corner of the box.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win 2000 or XP

Post Edited (Zuill) : 2/25/2005 7:39:10 AM GMT

File Attachment :
Japanese Lyrics.MUS   65KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 503 time(s).

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 2/25/2005 7:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Zuill. I opened the document you attached and, indeed, I can see the katakana. But when I tried what you suggested, I still got ???? instead of Japanese characters.  I am running Windows XP Pro and Finale 2005a. Here is precisely what I did:

1. Open Finale
2. Create a new default document.
3. Click in a few notes in simple entry.
4. Click Document Options on the Options menu.
5. Click Fonts in the left-hand panel.
6. Next to the Lyrics font (Verse), click Set Font.
7. Under Font, select MS Mincho.
8. Under Script, select Japanese (some Japanese characters appeared in the Sample).
9. Click OK twice to close the Font window and the Document Options - Fonts window.
10. Set the IME for hiragana input.
11. Select the Lyrics tool.
12. Either click under a note or select Edit Lyrics from the Lyrics menu (I tried both ways).
13. Type  "ko". (the hiragana ko appears in the IME editor)
14. Press Enter, and "?" appears in the score or the Edit Lyrics box.
15. Repeat steps 13 and 14 with "re" and another "?" appears.

I also tried the same to edit the lyrics in your file, but got the same result. I was very encouraged to see your score example, but I seem to still be doing something wrong. Can you see anything? Some other setting I missed? My file is attached. Thanks very much for your help.

Richard Scott
Technical Support
Chorus Boston

File Attachment :
CloseButNoCigar.MUS   63KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 484 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/25/2005 11:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try the manual input method in the lyrics edit window. Choose insert symbol and choose it from the character set. I know this is time consuming, but the result is getting the characters you want. Or memorize the characters and use alt-0160 through alt-0220.

Zuill

P.S.: I checked back with Finale 2002 an I can get the same results there.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 2/25/2005 9:12:42 PM GMT

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 2/25/2005 6:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks again, Zuill.  Yes, that works for me as well. Unfortunately, it only gives me access to 256 of the several thousand characters in the MS Mincho set, and does not include most of the characters I need. I guess I need to search further. It's frustrating, because they obviously have built the support in, at least partially, but have provided no documentation on how to access it. Thanks for all your help.

Richard Scott
Technical Support
Chorus Boston

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/25/2005 8:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale is deficient in that it does not support Unicode fonts. It's probably time we put on the pressure to have that added.

Zuill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/26/2005 1:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Okay. I'm quite limited in my knowledge of these things. I stumbled across this and I don't know that it's usable, but it seems to be a workaround for Japanese symbols. But there sure are a lot of them!

Basically, starting at alt-0224, bys entering entries side by side, I get these Japanese symbols. Are know there are those who can explain this, but maybe, until Unicode is supported in Finale, this can be of some value.

Example: alt-0224 creates a square bullet. But alt-0224 and alt-0224 produces the first symbol in the file.

alt-0224 and alt-0225 produces the next, and so forth. After these are exhausted (up to alt-0252), starting with alt-0225 and alt-0224, etc., produces a new series of symbols (up to alt-0252).

I'm sure experts will tell me what's going on and why. But I think, although quite tedious, Japanese can be done. I figure a document with all the possible symbols could be created to cut and paste into other documents.

Always trying to see what's there.

Zuill

P.S.: I got 290 symbols. I don't know if there are more. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun, to say the least.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 2/26/2005 7:53:23 AM GMT

File Attachment :
Japanese Characters.MUS   63KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 481 time(s).

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 2/27/2005 3:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill, you are nothing if not persistent--and you seem to have discovered the keys to the kingdom! What you are doing is entering double-byte characters, one byte at a time. This is a workable, though (as you say) tedious solution. If you are interested in seeing just how many characters there are in the MS Mincho font, try running the charmap utility from Run on the Start menu and choosing MS Mincho. Each one of these characters has, besides the Unicode encoding, a Japanese double-byte encoding called Shift-JIS, which Finale apparently supports. For example, the character あ (I hope you can see it) has the encoding 82A0 (hexadecimal). The first byte, 82, is 130 in decimal, and the second byte, A0, is 160 in decimal. So, if you enter Alt+0130, followed by Alt+0160, you get the あ symbol. As you can see in charmap, there are thousands of these symbols, but most lyrics can be handled with about 100 or so of the phonetic ones like this one (which is the equivalent of "a"). I still hope there is a way to hook up the Japanese input method editor (IME), which just lets you type roman characters and translates them automatically to Japanese. But in the meantime, this works! Thanks again for your help and persistence!

Richard Scott
Technical Support
Chorus Boston

RichardtheTech
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 3/1/2005 10:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I’m adding this information for anyone looking to enter Japanese lyrics in English Finale, who happens upon this topic before MakeMusic gets around to adding Japanese IME integration. After more experimentation, I have discovered that you can enter Japanese text in the freeware Japanese word processor JWPce (which I have used on Windows platforms from 95 to XP Pro) and copy and paste it into Finale lyric or text edit boxes (after choosing a Japanese font and script). This is because JWPce by default uses Shift-JIS encoding for placing material on the clipboard. You can obtain JWPce from the following Web site:

http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/c_main.html

It uses a somewhat different IME from Microsoft’s, but once you get used to it, it works quite well. Full documentation is included. This means you can do titles, etc., and click lyrics into a score in Japanese characters. An example score that I just did by that method is attached (in case you can’t tell, I’m a complete novice at Finale).

Richard Scott
Technical Support
Chorus Boston

Post Edited (RichardtheTech) : 3/2/2005 3:41:43 AM GMT

File Attachment :
Sakura.MUS   65KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 532 time(s).

returno
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to returnoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/6/2005 9:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Windows notepad works just as well. Simply type the text in there, copy, paste into the lyrics edit box, select text, switch fonts to a Japanese font (don't forget to select Japanese in the script pulldown). Click lyrics into score.

It is possible to mix Japanese and Chinese lyrics - even in the same line. Simply type the text into Windows notepad using the Microsoft IMEs. Copy/paste into the lyrics edit box. You'll see garbage. Select the text (difficult because each Finale thinks each two-byte character is two characters), change to an appropriate font (don't forget the script pulldown at the bottom!). Done: basic multilingual text. Of course if you have to edit the lyrics, you will have to do the same basic thing - type the corrected text into Windows notepad, copy, paste into lyrics edit window, etc.

If Finale supported Unicode and the IMEs in lyrics things would be a lot more fun!

Rebecca Oswald
Registered Member

Click to send Rebecca Oswald email.Click to visit Rebecca Oswald's website.Send a Private Message to Rebecca OswaldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 438

Posted 3/26/2005 9:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I'm struggling with a similar issue. I use finale 2004, macintosh.
I want to use some basic marks to the vowels of my (roman alphabet) lyrics, to indicate long and short vowels. I found them in unicode but can't get them into finale. For example, "a" with a line over it should be unicode 0101, right? I tried adapting the instructions above for Japanese unicode, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/26/2005 11:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know that Mac can be different, but choose a language other than Western in the font selection. For example, try Baltic. The character you want is there. In the lyric tool, choose insert symbol and choose it from the set there.

Zuill

Mark Wibrow
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 247

Posted 3/27/2005 3:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard,

The following link may be of interest:

scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=KeyboardInstallationAndUse

You might also want to check out 'Keyman' at:

www.tavultesoft.com/

Using this I have been able to input International Phonetic Alphabet symbols (with all the diacritics as well) directly into Fianle (both into score and in the Edit Lyric box - obviously you have to set the font first). Keyman is free (for personal use) but the Keyman Developer (for designing keyboards) is not. There are pre-defined keyboards available HOWEVER I notice that Janapese is not currently among them (I am however still looking). It is however perfectly possible to design one (using the Keyman Developer).

I hope this is of some help.

PS Just found this:

www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Looks promising. AND it's free.

Mark Wibrow
Finale 2003 onwards. Window XP Pro all updates.

Post Edited (Mark Wibrow) : 3/27/2005 10:50:00 AM GMT

Mark Wibrow
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 247

Posted 3/27/2005 4:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've just re-checked the tavultesoft web-site. Keyman is no longer free for personal use. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm obviously not up to date.

PS Keyman won't do what you want either. To use it for what you want an application would have to support Unicode. And as I see Zuill already pointed out, there is no unicode support in Finale. Which is rather poor actually.

Mark Wibrow
Finale 2003 onwards. Window XP Pro all updates.

Post Edited (Mark Wibrow) : 3/27/2005 3:43:19 PM GMT