Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Drum Roll Dynamics  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

AO
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AOAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 6

Posted 5/24/2016 7:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using GPO 5 with finale 2014.5 on my MAC 10.9.5, I can control the dynamics on all the percussion I’ve tried so far except a drum roll. I have the score manager set to GPO 5 >Basic Orchestral Percussion>Perc.MIDI map is GPO 5. I’ve tried various percussion maps and settings but nothing works. I can get a single roll with dynamics by marking a trill above the note, go figure, but it's not the pressed roll I'm looking for and it only works for one measure. I've also tried to search the forum and google but can't find anything. Anyone know how to deal with this?

Cheers,AO.

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/24/2016 11:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's hard to know exactly what you are trying to do. GIfF can do a buzz roll using the specific MIDI assignment (61), but also the standard articulation (3 slashes) triggers it as well (with MIDI 60 chosen). And dynamics seem to work also. I can't imagine that GIfF can do what GPO 5 can't. Do you have a sample file someone could test? I can only test it with GIfF, but someone with GPO5 can probably see what's up.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

AO
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AOAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 5/26/2016 9:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for your help. After testing many of the GPO stuff integrated with finale, I find many instruments are just not effected by any dynamic markings at all, they only have one volume. other than the drum roll, there's the violin tremolo and the violin staccato that just don't work with dynamics. I've tried many HP settings, but nothing. A composing program without dynamics is worthless. And if someone has to work so hard to achieve such a simple task, it's just not worth the money. BTW I don't know what GifF is or how to send a file, I really do appreciate your help though but I'm done with finale, it's time to give Sibelius a try.

Cheers, AO.

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/26/2016 11:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GIfF stands for Garritan Instruments for Finale. These are the Garritan sounds that are packaged with Finale and don't require purchasing an extra product.

Zuill

AO
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 5/27/2016 7:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Zuill, that hit me as soon as I pressed the submit button. All the GifF stuff works fine for me, it's just when I have the GPO5 selected in the score manager window it's basically hit or miss whether an instrument will work properly or not. It's a shame because the GPO stuff sounds so much better. I feel it must be something I'm missing since there doesn't seem like anybody else has the same problem here. I've decided before spending another fortune on a system or going back to pen and paper I'll pursue this directly through Garritan, in the mean time if anyone has some answers i would appreciate it .
Cheers AO

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 5/27/2016 9:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you downloaded the HP preferences for GPO5?

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/27/2016 11:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Even with GIfF, I have occasionally run into situations where I need to create duplicate dynamics (expressions) using volume data instead of velocity data. Sometimes applying the HP plugin (now built in feature) to get the proper playback, as opposed to live HP rendering, can give better results. If all else fails, I use the MIDI Tool to apply exactly the dynamic effects I want, including dynamic levels and crescendo/diminuendo effects.

Zuill

ASCap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ASCap's website.Send a Private Message to ASCapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 56

Posted 6/1/2016 11:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dynamics for sustained sounds can usually be manipulated with CC1 (Mod Wheel), but CC7 (volume) definitely works, too. As Zuill said, MIDI Tool is the way to go to get that done.

It's also well to note Finale is mainly notation software that includes the ability to hear your work. Meanwhile, a program like Logic is designed first for playback/manipulating sound & MIDI and happens to include a score editor. If you really want control over how your score sounds, just export your Finale MIDI into your DAW and load up some instruments; unless Finale's MIDI tool has undergone a massive overhaul since version 2011, DAWs tend to be more streamlined for editing MIDI.

Finale 2011b.r2 (since Finale 2002) | Windows 10 64-bit

Alex Cap, pianist and composer

SDG

AO
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2016

Posted 6/3/2016 7:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for all the help but word from the "Mother Ship" is that it is indeed a bug with GPO5 working with Finale and they will be working on it.

Thanks ASCap, That's good advise importing Finale midi into Logic Pro, now I have to learn how to integrate GPO5 into Logic and I'll be all set. Although I do use a midi keyboard, it's mainly just to play piano, most of my composing is one note at a time, MIDI still kind of reminds me of working with DOS sometimes, I'm always amazed that I get that stuff to work at all!

Cheers, AO.

Mac Pro 10.9.5
Finale 2014.5
Logic Pro
BIAB

ASCap
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ASCap's website.Send a Private Message to ASCapAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2011
Total Posts : 56

Posted 6/6/2016 10:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I completely understand! I compose "score first," myself. I don't have GPO5, but does it use the ARIA Player? ARIA player has an AU plugin that Logic can use. Load a software instrument and in "Instrument:," select AU Instruments > Garritan > ARIA Player. From there you can load your Garritan instruments.

Finale 2011b.r2 (since Finale 2002) | Windows 10 64-bit

Alex Cap, pianist and composer

SDG