Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Dorico Sample page  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
42 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Knut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KnutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 601

Posted 12/19/2016 4:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fred G. Unn said...
Zuill said...
And what's up with the piano brace? A bit huggy to the left barline for my taste.

+1, I hate that! It keeps triggering my "proofreading eye," as after a couple of decades of proofreading, my eye is naturally drawn to collisions. I definitely would want a bit more space there. I don't suppose that's possible yet is it?

I totally agree, and no, the distance between braces and systemic barlines are not yet editable for some reason (even though all other bracket types are). I've already raised the issue on the Dorico forum, so I guess it will be addressed at some point.

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz. Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Apogee Duet 2, Samsung SyncMaster 245b
OSX 10.9.5, Finale 2011c and 2014b (not using it yet) w/GPO & JABB, Patterson Plug-Ins, TG-Tools and QuickKeys 4; Sibelius 6, Logic Pro X, Adobe CS3, FontLab Studio 4, FontExplorer X Pro 3

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 12/19/2016 6:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Knut said...

John Ruggero said...
Aside from some problems in this Dorico example that require a bit of user tweaking, I much prefer the overall appearance of Finale using the Maestro font. This looks anemic to me.

Really? I can certainly understand your preference for one font over another, but given the razor thin stroke width of many aspects of the Maestro font, I'm puzzled that Bravura, which is much bolder, would give you the more 'anemic' impression. Then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I think that it is the steeper note head angle of Bravura, with the resulting loss of ink on the page, that creates an insubstantial effect for me. The fact that the line work is stronger in Bravura makes the note heads recede even more into the background. Here are the first couple of measures in Maestro:

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

File Attachment :
Finale Maestro example.pdf   41KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 339 time(s).

Wess
Registered Member

Click to send Wess email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WessAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 277

Posted 12/19/2016 7:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there,

I analysed the file in Illustrator and found out that the brace is not a graphical object but belongs to the font attributes. Therefore if one needs to alter the distance between piano brace and left bar line the easiest way is to add some "air" after the glyph "{" within font table.
Fontlab Studio and all other apps could help.

The recent version of Dorico is still under maintenance and for that reason I am not going to criticise the number of omissions. However, it looks as a resurrection or cloning (with huge amount of promises not seen yet) of Sibelius's, however bases on different level and sponsored by "a shark" company as Steinberg.
_______
When I opened this demo in Illustrator there were issues with all upper stem connection. I don't have an idea why. From other hand Inkscape opens the file perfectly.
_______
It is very personal, but the most unacceptable parts for me remain the shape of the slurs and ties (tie-arcs), the unbalanced line thickness between stems, ledger lines, bar lines; spacing, beaming an so on that were critically acclaimed to address coming problems found within ironically called Software A, B, and C...
_______
John Ruggero pointed out that the font looks anaemic to him. In fact the problems comes from the harmed balance between staff lines thickness and font characters.
_______

And at the end some last words:
IMO, it is very humiliating to discus Dorico here since somewhere exist specially dedicated place maintained and propagandised by Steinberg. Did we bit the bullet?
What are we doing – taking a revenge because the recent versions of Finale being slow are only dedicated for non-pro new users?
Shell we compare two programs that are on different stages of their live and development, specially here?
I have criticised MM many times because IMO they are totally possessed by a syndrome called "Ray Charles - Beethoven" – they can't see and can't listen, even that this is crucial for them right now.

Therefore I would say gladly "fair well" to this forum but before that I'like to thank you sincerely to all of you – members and moderators who had helped me during my stay here.
Thank you.

Finale 2014 and earlier...
Second monitor: HP LP2475w (Thunderbolt-HDMI cable)

Macbook pro 17" (2009) 2.80 GHz, RAM 8 GB, 500GB SSD Samsung EVO 840

MIDI: hybride piano
YAMAHA Avant Grand N1

CUSTOM MUSC FONTS & SAMPLES – VintageGHMA (Henle) & VintageECP1 (Peter's)

Post Edited (Wess) : 12/19/2016 6:30:44 PM (GMT-6)

Knut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KnutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 601

Posted 12/20/2016 11:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
I think that it is the steeper note head angle of Bravura, with the resulting loss of ink on the page, that creates an insubstantial effect for me. The fact that the line work is stronger in Bravura makes the note heads recede even more into the background.

You might have a point, although I honestly can't really tell if there is a difference in notehead size between the two examples.

Actually, Dorico uses the oversized alternate versions of the Bravura noteheads by default, which are much larger than the Maestro noteheads. The notehead angle of Bravura is a tiny bit steeper, but the difference is pretty much negligible. If you're using Mastro Wide OTOH, those are indeed slightly wider than the Bravura oversized noteheads, and noticeably flatter as well.

I think Wess' assessment of the effect being brought on by wider staff lines is compelling. Bravura obviously need to be used with heavier staff lines than Maestro to balance out it's weight, but perhaps Dorico's default width is a bit over the top. It's easily adjustable, though.

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz. Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Apogee Duet 2, Samsung SyncMaster 245b
OSX 10.9.5, Finale 2011c and 2014b (not using it yet) w/GPO & JABB, Patterson Plug-Ins, TG-Tools and QuickKeys 4; Sibelius 6, Logic Pro X, Adobe CS3, FontLab Studio 4, FontExplorer X Pro 3

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 12/20/2016 1:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is a screen shot comparing the first notes of the Dorico example on the right with Finale (Maestro regular, not Wide) on the left. I wasn't able to make the two examples exactly the same size, but despite this, I think it conveys what I see and possibly what Wess is describing.

The line work, the stems and staff lines, are too thick and the notes too small in the Dorico for my taste. In the Finale, the less angled note heads stand out meaningfully against the staff lines.

I did use a template that incorporates the line settings that were established at Notat.io in doing my example. They are not the Finale Default settings. It would be interesting to see the Dorico example with comparable settings and the wider note head that Knut mentioned to see if it can achieve the same effect as Finale.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

File Attachment :
Maestro vs Bravura.pdf   48KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 403 time(s).

NickG
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NickGAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 362

Posted 12/20/2016 1:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
Here is a screen shot comparing the first notes of the Dorico example on the right with Finale (Maestro regular, not Wide) on the left. I wasn't able to make the two examples exactly the same size, but despite this, I think it conveys what I see and possibly what Wess is describing.

The line work, the stems and staff lines, are too thick and the notes too small in the Dorico for my taste. In the Finale, the less angled note heads stand out meaningfully against the staff lines.

I did use a template that incorporates the line settings that were established at Notat.io in doing my example. They are not the Finale Default settings. It would be interesting to see the Dorico example with comparable settings and the wider note head that Knut mentioned to see if it can achieve the same effect as Finale.

This is the default output of both Finale and Dorico.
Exceptions:
In both documents, the bars were joined.
In Finale, I had to use the resize tool and set it for 85% to match as closeley as possible to Dorico's default size.
In Dorico bar 7, it's not possible to replicate the tempo marking at this time.
Nothing else was adjusted. (I realize that both need adjustment, but I wanted to see how much more adjusting would be required for each.
Please excuse any engraving typos.
I posted this on the NATATIO forum

NickG

MacBook Pro Retina Display, 16 gig ram, 1TB SSD.
MacOS Sierra
Finale 2008, 2010, 2011b, 2012a, 2012c, 2014d, 25.1
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5
Logic Pro X
Cubase 7.5
GPO 4
Steinber UR44
Korg M1
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

File Attachment :
Dorico-Finale.pdf   915KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 599 time(s).

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 12/20/2016 1:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe I'm too used to Finale's output, but I find Dorico's default output too "spidery" for my taste.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2000

Posted 12/20/2016 2:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
Maybe I'm too used to Finale's output, but I find Dorico's default output too "spidery" for my taste.

I was going to use that exact word in a previous post but deleted it. The bold staff lines make the notes look like objects suspended in a web.

www.cantilenapress.com

NickG
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NickGAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2008

Posted 12/20/2016 2:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All in all, I find Finale's output more elegant.

NickG

MacOS Sierra
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5
Logic Pro X
Cubase 7.5
GPO 4
Steinber UR44
Korg M1

Michael Ducharme
Registered Member

Click to send Michael Ducharme email.Click to visit Michael Ducharme's website.Send a Private Message to Michael DucharmeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 365

Posted 12/24/2016 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think I got the Dorico output looking a little nicer by tweaking the program defaults regarding slur engraving and slur thickness / staff line thickness / barline thickness. (no manual adjustments were made here)

Post Edited (Michael Ducharme) : 12/24/2016 1:44:44 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
tweaked.PNG
  53KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 259 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/24/2016 2:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Ducharme said...
I think I got it looking a little nicer by tweaking the program defaults regarding slur engraving and slur thickness / staff line thickness / barline thickness.

Yeah, that is MUCH nicer. It seems Dorico was released with some poor default settings. At least that's my impression, having worked a bit with the demo over the last 3 weeks.

Now, if you can increase the height of the tie in m2, that would look nicer, in my opinion. The default ties are much too flat for my taste.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Michael Ducharme
Registered Member

Click to send Michael Ducharme email.Click to visit Michael Ducharme's website.Send a Private Message to Michael DucharmeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 12/24/2016 2:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
Michael Ducharme said...
I think I got it looking a little nicer by tweaking the program defaults regarding slur engraving and slur thickness / staff line thickness / barline thickness.

Yeah, that is MUCH nicer. It seems Dorico was released with some poor default settings. At least that's my impression, having worked a bit with the demo over the last 3 weeks.

Now, if you can increase the height of the tie in m2, that would look nicer, in my opinion. The default ties are much too flat for my taste.

N.

Yes, I agree, it is just a matter of poor choices for the defaults in the program. Once the defaults are adjusted, the output becomes much nicer.

Here, I have increased the maximum "tie height" in the default engraving options for short ties. Is that better? (or, should it be even taller)

Post Edited (Michael Ducharme) : 12/24/2016 2:03:59 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
tieheight.png
  57KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 275 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/24/2016 3:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, that looks much nicer. Well done!

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

mknoll
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mknollAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 207

Posted 12/25/2016 11:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Isn't one of the "rules" of ties that they start and end at the end/beginning of noteheads rather than being centered on the noteheads like slurs? Can this default be changed in Dorico?

Finale 2011, 2014d
Mac Mini
8 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.11
Using Finale since version 1

NickG
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2008

Posted 12/25/2016 12:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mknoll said...
Isn't one of the "rules" of ties that they start and end at the end/beginning of noteheads rather than being centered on the noteheads like slurs? Can this default be changed in Dorico?

Only when the note has an articulation, like a tenuto.

NickG

MacOS Sierra
Sibelius 1, 2, 3, 7.5
Logic Pro X
Cubase 7.5
GPO 4
Steinber UR44
Korg M1

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/25/2016 12:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mknoll said...

My thought, too.

The tie in Michael Ducharme’s example looks too much like a slur.

In sight-reading some performers might misread a such “Dorico”-tie as a slur.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2014d, 2014.5 & v25.2, Mac OS X 10.12.2, iMac Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM

Michael Ducharme
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 12/25/2016 2:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
mknoll said...

Here is an updated version with the Dorico default changed so that the tie starts and ends at the end/beginning of the noteheads.

There are a very large number of defaults for each item - ex. for ties alone, there are about 20-30 different configuration options in the default engraving rules.

Post Edited (Michael Ducharme) : 12/25/2016 1:13:04 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
tie-edges.png
  48KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 280 time(s).