Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Open a musx File in Finale 2010  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 8/8/2016 8:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I'm still using Finale 2010! I have hundreds of scripts and thousands of lines of code that I cannot afford the time to redo if I upgraded. SOOOO, I got an musx file from a friend and I need to find a workaround so I can open it in Finale 2010. I've seen references to using NotePad and saving as xml or something like that but I am not sure what would happen to my installation on Finale 2010 if I also installed a free trial version of NotePad. Any advice (besides upgrading!)?

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 8/8/2016 9:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi

The Easiest thing would be to contact your friend and request that they save the file to MusicXML and send that to you.

Installing Notepad should have no effect on your Finale installation, but I do not know if it will handle files with more than 8 staves.

If all else fails, download and install the Finale 2014 demo. That will give you 30 days to trial the software.
Again, installation will not affect your 2010 setup.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011 - Win7 64 bit

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 8/8/2016 9:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The file probably has only 4 staves. It's SATB and piano. On the original sheet music he scanned for me, the SA parts are on one staff, TB parts on another and piano on two standard staves. Does this suggest NotePad is the better way to go?

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/8/2016 9:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, NotePad is free. It's certainly worth a try.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."