Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Blank PDFs / print 'previews' generated (Finale 2006 & 2007 - Leopard)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
35 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2378

Posted 11/11/2007 10:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Again, I reinstalled Finale 2006 and apparently it reinstalled the fonts. All I did after that was delete the new program folder and ran the 2006c version I had been using all along. Everything worked fine.

Again, I appreciate the helpful posts made by the members here.

Mike Mortilla

http://www.musicmman.com

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/11/2007 11:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Obiwan Kénobi said...
Éric Dussault said...
Cher Bruno, j'ai bien peur que la colère de Michael ait été plus de méritée...rien de pertinent au thread n'est ressorti de vos interventions.

Si: peut-être un peu de bon sens (dans l'absolue généralité du fait) et pas mal d'humour.
Malheureusement, ceux-ci ne sont pas toujours compris car les écrits sur internet, l'avez-vous remarqué, sont souvent perçus comme péremptoires.
Manquent le ton et le son de la voix ; ce qui fait l'essence même du dialogue entre les hommes.

Amitiés
Bruno

This user has also left a private message:

Obiwan Kénobi PM said...

"L"insulte est le dernier refuge de la faiblesse"

Having blocked this user, he/she has resorted to PM'ing me to "get his point across" (which is off topic and not helpful to anyone).

I have reported this to the system admin in the hope they will prevent further communication, but I would appreciate it if this user would refrain from further posts and PM's directed at me in any way.

Professionally yours,

MM

Mike Mortilla

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 11/11/2007 4:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For what it's worth:
Finale 2008 in OSX.5 is working fine here. I did once have a file print blank pages and discovered the cause. On this occasion I had crop marks switched on but was printing to the correct paper size for the Finale file. This threw the image completely off the page:

Finale page size A4, paper A4, crop marks off. No problem, printed fine
Finale page size A4, paper A3, crop marks on. No problem, image on the middle of the page with crop marks.
Finale page size A4, paper size A4, crop marks on. Finale prints blank pages in Preview, pdf and to printer.

I doubt it's the same issue, you would have spotted it by now, but just in case.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.4.10 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2007c/2008/Logic Pro/Komplete/GPO/Kore/Max.msp (and you though Finale had a steep learning curve!!)

Web site: http://web.mac.com/p.west/iWeb/Koros/Welcome.html
Podcast: http://web.mac.com/p.west/iWeb/Koros/Podcast/Podcast.html
iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=253248128

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1043

Posted 11/11/2007 5:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter West said...
Finale page size A4, paper A4, crop marks off. No problem, printed fine
Finale page size A4, paper A3, crop marks on. No problem, image on the middle of the page with crop marks.
Finale page size A4, paper size A4, crop marks on. Finale prints blank pages in Preview, pdf and to printer.

I think, Peter, you have found the clue:
I have done some tests here (I have a HP PS A4 Printer) and I have encountered some problems too:
1) Finale page size A4 paper size (File>Page Setup) A4, Any printer, crop marks on. All is fine here (note I am running on Tiger, not Leopard), except I have none cropmarks printed or Previewed (but that is quite normal I suppose)
Then:
2) Finale page size A4, Page Setup Letter, crop marks off, PDF Preview OK
3) Finale page size A4, Page Setup Letter, crop marks on = Preview totally blank
4) Finale page size A4, Page Setup A5, crop marks on = Preview display the top staff at the extreme bottom of the page (I can see, top crop marks and only the first line of the top staff - so, an almost blank page.

In all probability these cropmarks are a (new?) bug in 2008 (that is not an issue in F2005b). If the Page Setup is bigger than the real one, all works fine (this is the goal of cropmarks, I think), but if the Page Setup is smaller or very close to the format choosed in Finale, the problem occurs.
Moreover, when I try to create an A3 PDF with cropmarks, I obtain the dialog box attached ; this dialog box doesn't appear in 2005b, but I suppose that this feature may have been incorporated in Finale later (2006? 2007?).

Kind Regards
Bruno
Paris-France

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.9
Finale 2000 - 2003a - 2005b - 2008

Post Edited (Obiwan Kénobi) : 11/11/2007 5:16:56 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Image 1.png
  24KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 188 time(s).

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/12/2007 12:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter West said...
For what it's worth:
Finale 2008 in OSX.5 is working fine here.

Thanks Peter. In 2006c and 2007 printing seems fine now. Are you happy with 2008? I hesitated to upgrade, but perhaps it's not as bad as I thought.

MM

Mike Mortilla

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 11/12/2007 6:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm having no problems. The issue I described first appeared for me in 2007c. It may have been there before, but I didn't see it.

I too get the new dialog warning.

When I installed 10.5 as an upgrade (not a clean install), the installation of printer drivers over-wrote my personal ones and I had to re-install and set up with printer Utility, but there were no problems, it worked fine.
Time machine, by the way is a great bonus. You will need to DE-select what you don't want backed up (System etc) so that only data files are backed up. it uses huge amounts of space initially, I'd recommend a dedicated 500GB drive minimum. My Bluetooth Phone now iSyncs with iCal and Address Book, which it didn't do before. If you use many apps at a time, Spaces is amazing.

The upgrade is well worth the price.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.4.10 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2007c/2008/Logic Pro/Komplete/GPO/Kore/Max.msp (and you though Finale had a steep learning curve!!)

Web site: http://web.mac.com/p.west/iWeb/Koros/Welcome.html
Podcast: http://web.mac.com/p.west/iWeb/Koros/Podcast/Podcast.html
iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=253248128

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/12/2007 9:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

Totally agree with the Time Machine comments. DON'T backup large files, especially stuff that's easy to dump back on the Mac from a DVD (often files that virtual instruments require such as PlugSound Pro.) If you are working with digital audio and quicktime movies, I would consider a 1TB back drive or larger. That will set you back about $350, but if you have a valuable project, that's nothing in comparison to loosing the gig, the client and the music.

But I would always suggest backing up to DVD at projects end and removing the final version(s). Again, with DVDs at about 60 cents each (or less) that is the cheapest insurance and archive possible.

Mike Mortilla

Stevem7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stevem7AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 3

Posted 1/17/2008 10:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm running 2008a with Leopard and getting blank pages and pdfs. I suspect that it is and issue with my Brother printer since things work on a network laser printer. But, I need to be able to print from my printer.

Guido
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GuidoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 13

Posted 2/15/2008 11:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello I've just ugraded to a New Macpro 8core cominig from a G5 with Tiger. I always work with pdf printed with adobe virtual printer version 7 ((in Tiger) and now (in Leopard) version 8. Now I'm getting blank pdf. I tried to print directly via System save as pdf = same result. ThenI installed a new printer (I have the HP laserjet 1200 not yet added to printer menu) I tried to make a pdf selecting in page setup of Finale (either 2006 and 2008) any printer as printing device, then I saved my file as pdf not usig Adobe 8.0 but selecting the"HP Laserjet" as printer et voila! I got my pdf I tryed alsa a file in A3 (considering that HP 1200 is an A4 printer) and the pdf was done in a second with all my music on it and in a good resolution (i've zoomed it to see the quality) so everithing seems solved but I'd like also print with adobe printer and some specials setting I've already used in Tiger. Other suggestions are wellcome.
Bye
Guido

-------------------
Mac Pro 2008 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz Ram 6 Gb Finale 2004 to 2008a
www.studioemc.it

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/15/2008 11:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Guido said...
Hello I've just ugraded to a New Macpro 8core cominig from a G5 with Tiger. I always work with pdf printed with adobe virtual printer version 7 ((in Tiger) and now (in Leopard) version 8. Now I'm getting blank pdf. I tried to print directly via System save as pdf = same result. ThenI installed a new printer (I have the HP laserjet 1200 not yet added to printer menu) I tried to make a pdf selecting in page setup of Finale (either 2006 and 2008) any printer as printing device, then I saved my file as pdf not usig Adobe 8.0 but selecting the"HP Laserjet" as printer et voila! I got my pdf I tryed alsa a file in A3 (considering that HP 1200 is an A4 printer) and the pdf was done in a second with all my music on it and in a good resolution (i've zoomed it to see the quality) so everithing seems solved but I'd like also print with adobe printer and some specials setting I've already used in Tiger. Other suggestions are wellcome.

The Adobe Virtual Printer does not work very well in Leopard. An update is expected to fix it.
Also, check that the correct PPD is being used for each print queue.
As noted above, using crop marks in Finale may cause blank pages.

Finale 2008a, 2Ghz iMac, OS X 10.5.1, M-Audio Audiophile USB
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk