Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > REALLY FRUSTRATED!!!!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

don612
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to don612AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 32

Posted 9/14/2013 11:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am an early adopter and have beta tested MANY pieces of software including several versions of SM. As an early adopter, I expect challenges and a few bumps along the way and am willing to put up with them in the beta phase. I have used SM in my 225 member program with 180 home subscriptions and 5 school subscriptions for 3 years and iPas before that. I have 6 method books that I use to schedule 40 assignments a quarter for each student set up as 5 weekly exercises in UNITS that were set up three years ago. All that amounts to 45 assignments for all of my 200 students. I have defended and advocated for SM at every turn. I am REALLY PISSED at this most recent release. First, there is the problem with the grading and the use of submitted recording which I explained in at earlier post. After several calls with SM Tech, they assured me they know about the problem and are working on it.

Recently, some of my students have been reporting some kind of error while testing. YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SHOCK WHEN ONE OF MY STUDENTS APPROACHED ME WITH THIS EMAIL FROM SM TECH SUPPORT YESTERDAY:

Subject
Error when opening assignment

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Andrew B) 09/11/2013 01:10 PM

(NAME REMOVED),

My name is Andrew B. and I am a SmartMusic Customer Support Representative. I spoke with your mom on the phone this afternoon concerning an error message that you are getting in SmartMusic when you try to open the "Warm-Up - Band Arrangement" assignment. I would recommend printing this email so that you can show it to your teacher as this problem requires some action on their part, at least for the time being.

This error is an issue that our development team is actively working on and that we hope to have resolved soon. Assignments have the potential to present this error when the assignment is created as either an automated assignment or is part of a unit. To workaround this problem, teachers can recreate the assignment as an individual assignment. We certainly understand how useful automated assignments and units are, and we expect to have this problem resolved soon. Teachers or students with questions regarding this issue are encouraged to contact us at (866) 240-4041 on Monday-Friday from 8:30am-9:00pm CST.

Thank you,

Andrew B
MakeMusic Customer Support

WHAT THE H*&$! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THERE IS NO CHANCE I AM GOING TO FIX THIS ON MY END. IT NEEDS TO GET FIXED ON YOUR END NOW!!!!!! My parent SM scheduler has already spent dozens of hours creating these units and scheduling our first quarter assignments. I'll let you tell her that she need to enter all of those assignments again, not as our pre designed units but each as an individual assignment....aahh, lets see, 45 assignments per class, 6 classes=270 individual assignments to enter. Once again: GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! As far as I am concerned MM needs to hire programers to work around the clock to fix both of these problems within the next week. BOTH OF THESE PROBLEMS should have been fixed in the beta phase. MM: YOU NEED TO DO MORE BETA TESTING!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is, my credibility is at stake, not to mention the credibility of SM. PLEASE GET ON THIS NOW!! PLEASE STOP RELEASING VERSIONS THAT ARE NOT READY!!!!!!!! I need to tell my parents when you will have both of these issues fixed.

Dan S
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan SAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 20

Posted 9/14/2013 6:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don,

I feel you. But you're missing the fact that they "sold you out" to a student! Aside from the list of other issues you listed, they should never discuss how a teacher assigns things to a student. Some families would be very offended that assignments are "automated".

This is my first year of SM, and honestly, I'm regretting it.

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 9/14/2013 11:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Had the same issue about a year ago. The guys took a while but they fixed it. Apparantly something broke they weren't prepared for.

Jim Jolley - Band Director - Center Hill Middle School

Finale 2008a, 2009b, 2010a, 2011b, 2012b - Smartmusic 2012b - Garritan CoMB - Vista

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 9/15/2013 8:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suggest writing them and asking them if they anticipate that the upcoming fix will repair existing assignments. Whatever went wrong with the assignments is probably consistent - maybe a missing database field, a screwed up file for each assignment, etc. If that's the case, then repairing the assignments all at once could be doable on their end. It's possible though that the repair action would require something different than the bug fix action, so I'd let them know this is needed.

don612
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to don612AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 32

Posted 9/25/2013 2:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
UPDATE: This issue has been resolved and I am now able to assign my units as usual.