Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > correcting ties: plug-in?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

seanferguson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to seanfergusonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/15/2002 8:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very frequently, the ties in my documents become messed up. Specifically, when I look at the notes using the Edit Frame dialog box in speedy edit, many notes are shown as having a tie ending on them when in fact there is not. I get this in many different situations, such as when cutting and pasting with the Mass Mover tool to a different metrical position than the original, which causes notes to be spread across measures differently. I also get this when inserting notes, or when using the retrograde function of the Canonic Utilities plug-in.

Although the ties still appear to display correctly, the real problem results when trying to apply accidentals. A chromatic note that has the "tie end" slot set will *not* be given an accidental when applying the Cautionary Accidentals plug-in.

To correct this, I have been going through every measure that has had anything that I know causes problems done to it, and correcting the ties by hand, using the Edit Frame dialog. This is painstaking and seems to be really a waste of time.

I think it would be pretty easy to detect when there is a problem like this. Some conditions would be:

-A note has "tie end" set but the note before it does not have "tie start" set.

-A note in a chord has "tie end" set but it does not appear in the previous chord.

I am a registered user of TGTools (which is fantastic) but there isn't any "check ties" plug-in. Does anyone know, first of all, whether I am doing something wrong that might be causing this problem? Secondly, does anyone run into this same problem (if you find that accidentals are not displaying, this is probably the problem)? And finally, does anyone know if a plug-in exists that *does* go through and check for problems with ties?

Thanks,

Sean

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 12/15/2002 11:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you tried Robert Patterson's Tie Mover plugin?

http://www.robertgpatterson.com

Don't know if it will do what you're after, but it's very extensive in the options that it offers.

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 12/16/2002 12:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sean,

The tie/accidental problems can usually be corrected with the Mass Mover tool.

Select measures and go to the Mass Mover (or Mass Edit in Fin2003)> Utilities> Check Ties. Then > Utilities> Check Accidentals.

Check Ties will remove orphaned tie ends and Check Accidentals will restore accidentals that were hidden because of ties, _unless_ the accidental was manually hidden (with * in Speedy Entry) with Auto Freeze Accidentals selected in the Speedy Entry menu.

In that case you can make use of TGTools> Music> Accidentals> Unfreeze existing accidentals/check ties.

Jesper