Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > OSX??  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jazzboy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jazzboy's website.Send a Private Message to jazzboyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/16/2002 5:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just looking to see if anyone has any
idea when we will see Finale for OSX?
Just getting excited!

Great Operating system...

J

ephraim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ephraimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 510

Posted 4/17/2002 2:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My hope for FX is that Coda has been listening to us and will not only create a spectacular new version but will also address some of our complaints about the program which have been around for quite a number of years. I am still working with F2001 which suits my needs. If Coda doesn't fix some of the problems that we have complained so long about I will continue to use F2001 (or maybe 2002) even after I upgrade to OS10.

ephraim hammett jones
MusicScribe

rsigler
Registered Member

Click to send rsigler email.Click to visit rsigler's website.Send a Private Message to rsiglerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 138

Posted 4/17/2002 9:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hope they finish it soon...I waste so
much time every day booting into 9, then
crashing, then restarting, etc.etc.

Most of the programs I use now require
OS X, which is great!

I'm SO looking forward to Finale X.

M Copyist
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to M CopyistAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 44

Posted 4/18/2002 5:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Question:
Why would Coda release Finale for OS X when the OS
doesn't support midi yet ?

M

rsigler
Registered Member

Click to send rsigler email.Click to visit rsigler's website.Send a Private Message to rsiglerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 138

Posted 4/18/2002 7:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It DOES support midi. There are many
apps out that utilize MIDI and OS X!

Jean8590
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jean8590AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 1999
Total Posts : 117

Posted 4/18/2002 2:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it is supposed to, but - - - - could you
NAME any programs that use MIDI with
OS--X? And, are there any drivers for
MidiSport, etc.?

And yes, I also am waiting for Finale to
port to OSX. I use a FireWire external
drive to work with Finale2002 - easier
boot up that way.

Jean

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 4/19/2002 3:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/18/2002 7:34:00 PM, Jean Olson wrote:
>Well, it is supposed to, but -
>- - - could you
>NAME any programs that use
>MIDI with
>OS--X?

err... Sibelius ver 2.1.

And, are there any
>drivers for
>MidiSport, etc.?

There aren't many drivers for the USB MIDI translators, that's true. Roland have released a driver for their SC8820/50 series of sound modules, but as for others...

I for one wish that more manufacturers would hurry up and release them. There must be a valid reason why they're taking so long.

somusque
Developer

Click to send somusque email.Click to visit somusque's website.Send a Private Message to somusqueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 1169

Posted 4/19/2002 3:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/19/2002 8:13:00 AM, Matthew Hindson wrote:

>There aren't many drivers for the USB
>MIDI translators, that's true ...
>
>I for one wish that more manufacturers
>would hurry up and release them. There
>must be a valid reason why they're
>taking so long.

In the case of hardware manufacturers, not all reasons are "valid":
- lack of dedication for their own older products
- lack of dedication for OS X
- lack of engineering manpower
- lack of OS X expertise

This makes me quite sad.

It's different with Coda, however, because they have openly voiced their dedication, and we just have to wait a bit more. The opposite is true for hardware: many, many, many hardware items will never get OS X drivers.

--------------------------------------------
Tobias Giesen, Composer
http://www.tobiasgiesen.de
* now all major works as free MP3's *

Check out TGTools, my plug-in collection for Finale:
http://www.tgtools.de

dagfinn.koch@aviana.com
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dagfinn.koch@aviana.com's website.Send a Private Message to dagfinn.koch@aviana.comAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/19/2002 4:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi!

I actually asked the Coda support, and
they answered that they will give us a
native Finale when the Finale 2003
arrives. I do really like the improvements
in Finale 2002 with the IRCAM and TG
tools.

dagfinn

gwysham
Registered Member

Click to send gwysham email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gwyshamAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/19/2002 6:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>>And, are there any
>>drivers for
>>MidiSport, etc.?

>There aren't many drivers for the USB MIDI >translators, that's true.

Stuff and nonsense! I *so* dislike misinformation like this! Midiman/M-Audio released 2.0.1b drivers on 11/27/2001 and the 2.0.1b1 update on 2/20/2002. And there certainly *are* programs using MIDI with OS X, just check Version Tracker. However, none of them is Finale. :-( I'm also sitting on Fin2k2. 2k1 is working fine for me, even in Classic! Of course, I don't do anything fancy like MIDI input, etc., just typesetting.

Geoff Wysham
gwysham@gmpexpress.net

perdworfect
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to perdworfectAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 4/24/2002 8:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Quick question: Can you run Finale 2000 on OS X?

jbmelby
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jbmelby's website.Send a Private Message to jbmelbyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 39

Posted 4/25/2002 6:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/25/2002 1:39:00 AM, Danny Dolan
wrote:
>Quick question: Can you run
>Finale 2000 on OS
>X?

Quick answer: Yes.

Hatley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Hatley's website.Send a Private Message to HatleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 15

Posted 4/25/2002 12:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John - You say you can run Finale 2002 in
OSX. My experience is that it will not run
in OSX, not even in Classic mode. I have
to restart in OS9 to use it.

Do you know something I don't?

Derek Hatley

perdworfect
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to perdworfectAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 4/25/2002 1:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yay.

jbmelby
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jbmelby's website.Send a Private Message to jbmelbyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/27/2002 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/25/2002 5:25:00 PM, Derek Hatley <
br>
wrote:

>John - You say you can run Finale 2002
>in OSX. My experience is that it will not >
>run in OSX, not even in Classic mode. I
>have to restart in OS9 to use it.

>Do you know something I don't?

I can't say that I do--after all, I don't know
what you know--but I can tell you that I can
run, and have currently installed and am
using in Classic on my OS 10.1.4
system, Finale 2002b, 2001d, 2000c, and
98d. Every one of them works beautifully.
(BTW, the key to running different
versions without their screwing each
other up is to keep the preferences file for
each in its application's folder.)

M Copyist
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to M CopyistAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000

Posted 4/28/2002 6:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Midi input ??

>I can't say that I do--after all, I don't know
what you know--but I can tell you that I can
run, and have currently installed and am
using in Classic on my OS 10.1.4
system, Finale 2002b, 2001d, 2000c, and
98d. Every one of them works beautifully.
(BTW, the key to running different
versions without their screwing each
other up is to keep the preferences file for
each in its application's folder.)

jbmelby
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/28/2002 8:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/28/2002 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous
wrote:
>Midi input ??

Don't use MIDI. Sorry--I can't help you
there.

ccorbell
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ccorbell's website.Send a Private Message to ccorbellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/30/2002 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FWIW, MacOS X has a new MIDI API
called CoreMIDI which is really pretty
slick. It's in the ballpark of Apple's
IOKit technology which is in general a
huge improvement over every driver API
out there (on any OS).

If anything has kept people from supporting
OS X it's just legacy code and the break
in API continuity, it isn't any limitation
of OS X. On the contrary, the new framework
should make it possible for much better
MIDI support in the future - CoreMIDI has