Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > "Linked parts" seem to not really be linked  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Conductor_PaulAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2013
Total Posts : 13

Posted 6/17/2015 12:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Could anyone please help me with a set of parts I already created but am having trouble making use of the linked parts feature?

I created a set of parts from a full orchestra score in Finale 2012 last year. I am assuming that these are "linked parts" simply because when I go to create parts it lists them as "linked parts", however ... now that I have recently made many changes to the score (such as changing a few notes, and especially adding rehearsal letters) I am not seeing these changes reflected in the parts. How can I make the parts update without having to create a complete set of new parts? I spent a great deal of time tweaking the formatting on each part and I do not want to lose those changes.

Maybe the problem here is that I might have changed the file name of the parts, or the problem could be that the parts have been moved from their original locations to new folders. Is there any way to check if the part is indeed still linked? Or any way to re-link it???

THANKS for any helpful advice!

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 6/17/2015 12:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If your parts are in separate files, you must have extracted them. Once you do that, they are no longer linked. Am I right in assuming that you did extract them?

Finale 2014d, Win 8.1, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Conductor_PaulAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/17/2015 2:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yes, unfortunately it is looking like they are indeed extracted.

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 6/17/2015 4:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can still generate linked parts. They will incorporate changes you made to the score, but not to extracted parts. Document/Manage Parts/Generate Parts. Make sure you press OK at the end.

Finale 2014d, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 6/17/2015 6:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just to make things clear:

1) Linked parts are not separate documents, but rather included in the same document as the score.
To view the linked parts - and edit their layout - go to
Document menu > Edit Part > …

2) Extracted parts are based on the linked parts.
In Other Words:
You can not have extracted parts without also having linked parts.
If linked parts are not yet generated, Finale will automatically generate linked parts when you tell Finale to extract parts.

3) In many cases there is no need to extract parts.
You can use the linked parts instead - view the parts, and print them.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014d, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/17/2015 7:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the clearer explanation, Peter. I found the linked parts under the Document menu. Unfortunately, I didn't know about Linked parts when I previously extracted the parts and made considerable layout changes to that set of parts. So now I am stuck with a separate set of parts in addition to the linked parts which unfortunately are not formatted in the layout I want. It looks like it will be a real lengthy job to get the layout how I want it (with page turns in convenient places), but I probably have no way to update those older parts that have already been extracted. I doubt there is any solution to this problem. But if anyone has any advice .... next time I just won't extract and will only work with the linked parts under the document menu.

Jolora
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoloraAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 684

Posted 6/18/2015 5:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paul,

You could try using the ScoreMerger (see File>ScoreMerger...) to reassemble the extracted parts into a completely new document. I don't know whether or not this will preserve the layouts of the extracted parts in the new file, but it's worth trying.

Once you've reassembled the new file, you will have to re-make all the recent changes you made to your original document (the rehearsal markers and such). But this may be less work than redoing the layouts and page-turns in your original file's linked parts.

If you try this, let us know how it goes??

Good luck.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2012c and now, finally, 2014d.
JW Plugins
TG Tools (Full)
Garritan GPO 4
Garritan COMB 2
Garritan JABB 3
Anvil Studio 2015 midi editor
Intel i7-4771 with 32GB RAM
Windows 8.1 64-bit

LO
Registered Member

Click to send LO email.Click to visit LO's website.Send a Private Message to LOAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 65

Posted 6/18/2015 6:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paul,

I would take my original score and make linked parts. Then I would try to copy the layout from each of the extracted parts to the respective linked part. JW Copy Part Layout, v1.03 might do the job for you (http://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/download/category/9-plug-ins-for-windows?start=20).

HTH

Lothar

Intel i5-3570, 3,4GHz QuadCore
RAM: 8 GB OS: Win 8.1 64 Bit
Finale 3.5 - 2014c / TGTools full / Smartscore X Prof.
Germany

www.lothars-music-edition.com

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 6/18/2015 9:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unless you're going to be making substantial changes to your score, why spend anytime trying to link these parts? You could using Pattersons Transfer Layout plugin from your extracted parts to the linked parts, that would work. The only thing you gain from linked parts is that they will reflect any changes you make to the score. So ask yourself what kind of changes are you making. Then compare the amount of effort and time it would take to relink these parts to the amount of time it would take to add these revisions to your score and parts separately. Then do whatever is the best use of your time.

There's plenty of users who still extract parts, nothing wrong with it. For many situations, extracted parts work best, for other situations linked parts are more efficient.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Post Edited (Jetcopy) : 6/18/2015 9:27:50 AM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 6/18/2015 10:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Neither Score Merger nor JW Copy Part Layout will work in this case. Possibly the Patterson plugin would, but the decision about the approach to use should depend on the time it takes and the reliability of the outcome. Another possible method would be to copy the contents of the score (one staff at a time) to the already formatted extracted parts. I believe the formatting would remain the same but the contents would be replaced. Chances are, this would be time intensive as well.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/18/2015 2:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you everyone. I especially liked Zuill's suggestion.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 6/18/2015 4:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd Lock Systems in the parts before I pasted the new material in. I'd also back up the old extracted parts and work with copies.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 6/19/2015 4:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you have changed tempo markings and/or added rehearsal markings, you can select the score, select copy, got to each part in turn, use the Edit filter to select only that category of Expressions and paste into each part. This will replace tempo markings, add rehearsal figures and not change anything else. It may be worth locking the systems first just to be sure.

If you copy then, while everything is still selected regenerate multi measure rests, any that need breaking to show new tempi changes or rehearsal numbers will break.

You can do a quick visual check as you go through and make the other minor adjustments you referred to.

It shouldn't take too long. It'll be far quicker than generating a new set of parts, or pasting the parts back into a new score. Basically, having done what you've done, you will now need to spend some time. Often with this kind of job it really is a case of less haste more speed. if you mess around trying to find a quick way, things invariably will not work the way you hope or expect and it will take longer than you imagine. If you have a good secure set of parts, just make a big pot of coffee, clear the desk and get on with it.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

iMac 27 inch, 8GB RAM /OSX.10.10.1 +20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2014d/Logic Pro X

https://www.facebook.com/MusicPublishing
http://musicpublishing.moonfruit.com

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/21/2015 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Peter, that copy and edit filter sound like a good idea which I will try out!

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/21/2015 8:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OMG PETER!!! YOU ARE THE BEST! THAT SAVES SO MUCH TIME :-)
T H A N K Y O U ! ! !

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 6/23/2015 1:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I often get jobs where, after generating all parts and the first performance has happened, the composer wants to make significant changes. This has left me with a tool box of working processes which I fairly much take for granted now. In the circumstance you described, the copy filter would be my first option.

Many apps these days offer automation and various options for performing complex tasks (such as putting all the parts back into a score for example). While these often seem attractive, they are often not when the whole process is considered. There are always certain unknowns that we can fall foul of. For example, if you paste all the parts back into a score and then add the new tempi and rehearsal numbers, then re-extract the parts, will you retain or lose all the formatting of the original parts? I wouldn't take the risk. If you use your original score, you may retain some of the formatting, but perhaps not have any cues entered... and so on.

While the job may seem daunting, I much prefer the security of working with what I already have and getting on with it.

Glad it worked for you

Peter
Music Publishing Services

iMac 27 inch, 8GB RAM /OSX.10.10.1 +20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2014d/Logic Pro X

https://www.facebook.com/MusicPublishing
http://musicpublishing.moonfruit.com

Conductor_Paul
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2013

Posted 6/23/2015 2:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again, Peter. Yes, that did work. Still, I am having so many problems with other issues, so you may see me writing here more often ...