Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Assessable assignments created in Finale 2012  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

HockeyStix
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HockeyStixAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2012
Total Posts : 5

Posted 7/18/2012 11:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've tried a few times to create various rhythm assignments using Finale 2012. I've inserted the SmartMusic Markers and exported them to SmartMusic. Once I open them up in SmartMusic all of the notes are GREY. WHY? Am I doing something wrong. I have not yet updated to the newest version of SmartMusic because I'm working on a school computer that needs an Administrator username and password to update anything. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 610

Posted 7/18/2012 9:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Explain your steps. Maybe you left out a step or something.

Jim Jolley - Band Director - Center Hill Middle School

Finale 2006c, 2008a, 2009b, 2010a, 2011b - Smartmusic 2012 - Garritan CoMB - Vista

HockeyStix
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HockeyStixAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2012

Posted 7/19/2012 2:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First of all, does the rhythm exercise need to be scored for the entire ensemble or can it be a single staff? Secondly, I want the students to be able to clap the rhythms or play them on their instruments. I don't want them to hear the accompaniment of the entire ensemble while clapping their rhythms though. When setting it up, I specify assessable not accompaniment. I also make sure that the smartmusic marker in Finale in turned on.

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim JolleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/20/2012 12:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1. I make mine for a single staff. I use snare drum notation for this and assign the clap to the line once you create the smartmusic assignment. I attached a file of how I do it.
2. If want to make an entire ensemble you can silence the accompaniment if you wish, so the kids don't hear the parts. I would suggest making the clicks required in the part. 

Finale 2006c, 2008a, 2009b, 2010a, 2011b - Smartmusic 2012 - Garritan CoMB - Vista

File Attachment :
Page 43 #1.mus   40KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 703 time(s).

HockeyStix
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2012

Posted 7/20/2012 4:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, yours worked. Is there a way I can see your exact settings for the document? I tried doing my own but now the notation won't even show up in SmartMusic. Frustration is starting to set in now.

HockeyStix
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2012

Posted 7/20/2012 4:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Now here's an example of one that I did that doesn't work. I've included the Finale and SmartMusic files.

Thanks so much for trying to help me through this.

File Attachment :
Eighth Note:Triplets.mus   42KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 1 time(s).

File Attachment :
Eighth Note-Triplets.smp   43KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 396 time(s).

Jim Jolley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2003

Posted 7/23/2012 12:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Been out of town, cannot open the mus but can open the smp.  Try these things

Highlight your click, downbeats and subdivision before make the smp file. I prefer accents, subdivisions, 2 bar count off, and voice.  everything else seems ok with it. is there anything else you are wanting?