Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > static sound  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TimekeeperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 585

Posted 10/15/2011 11:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I have "Play through VST" checked in my trial of F12, I get static sound during playback and entry. This is solved by checking "Play through MIDI"
I thought that my RAM might be the problem, but when I play the same files in F09, the static goes away. Also, I get static whenever I attempt to play a file which uses the F09 Garritan instruments whether or not the VST is checked. Is this a shortcoming of my computer or a bug in F12? 

Matthew
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Symphony of Albuquerque Principal VIOLIST
Windows XP Pro, Finale 2009,PM 2009, NP 2006 768 MB RAM
Favorite Forum Post: "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."

DiVietri
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DiVietriAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/15/2011 1:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a somewhat similar problem of static but not with 2012 and under different circumstances. I have 2011 and I am trying to use EWQLSO and EWQLSC. Someone from the forum has been generously helping to operate the PLAY through Finale VST and there is a good deal of progress due to his efforts but I am getting a great deal of static with the choir (SATB) EW..SC voices. The EWQLSO also has static on playback although it has less hitting the keyboard for a note. That is actually why I did this search so as to see if anyone else had come across this difficulty.

The switch to play through midi that worked for you, does not work in my instance because it simply reverts to the Garritan instruments and I have not yet figured out how to bypass those instruments to get to the PLAY midi channels. I would imagine that this is a simple thing for which, another search should pull up a solution.

I have been reading the forum discussions and they are very helpful as I also amazed at the knowledge. I began with Finale 1, then 2, then 2006 and now I have 2011. It is fascinating how much can be done but it is maddening how much technical skill and knowledge is necessary to command the rendering. I did take a break from composition and I woke up in another world of technology. I am impressed by the contributors to the forum and the contributions from Finale through Justin et. al.

And again, there is a particular fellow that has been most generous, patient and helpful. I also see that he is very helpful to many others and so I really don't want to take excessive advantage of his generosity so I would appreciate it if someone did understand how to overcome the static problem using VST and PLAY.

Patrick

Finale1, 2, 2006 & 2011
Athlon (TM) II X4 645 3.10 GHZ, TB HD, 14GB ram, Windows 7 pro
Proteus II, Performance/1, Mirage (instruments of the dark ages)
EWQLSO/EWQLSC/Goliath/Gypsie/Voices of Passion/Stormdrum/Piano/WordBuilder on PLAY 3.0.21 (Of course I don't know how to use any of these)

Jeanne R
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeanne RAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 1251

Posted 10/15/2011 2:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The first question is whether a WAV file has the static. If the WAV file is good, it's a matter of resources. And I wouldn't be surprised if two versions of a program behave differently resulting in static in one but not in the other. I'm not saying I've experienced it ; it's just a general observation.

Hope that helps,

Jeanne

Jeanne
Win XP Pro, Finale 2008a, GPO 3
(sometimes MacBook OSX (10.4.11) with the same Finale)

francois_harel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to francois_harelAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 557

Posted 10/15/2011 3:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Matthew,
Which VSTi did you use with F2012 ?
Francois, Montreal

QX9650 3.0 GHz on W7 x64 with 8Gb & iMAC i5 with 12Gb
Finale 2012, Sonar PE X1c, Notion 3, Sibelius 7
Kontakt KP2, K3, K4, Aria, fullGPO4, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Plat+ / EWQLSC / HS / Goliath on PLAY 3.0.21
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 10/15/2011 5:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
IIRC the Garritan sounds are not included with the F2012 demo. Nor did I find the text files for the Garritan full packages added automatically to my Finale 2012 VST folder in my AppData area. That may have something to do with the static problem.

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/15/2011 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In other words, they want us to try out the program, but not the playback. You would think that choosing playback through VST would still allow SoftSynth playback as in the full version.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012 Soon?

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 10/16/2011 12:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe SoftSynth is included in the demo, just not the Garritan sound libraries for Finale. Since I already had the Garritan libraries and bought Finale 2012, I am only going on what I read (somewhere).

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TimekeeperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009

Posted 10/20/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The SoftSynth is included, and works fine if I select Play through Midi, but when I select Play through VST, it gives the static. Also, all previous files from 2009 (both Finale and PM) give static when played through 2012. I do have one file that I created with 2011 (when I got the trial of that version) that does not have that problem. By the way, I work in a place that makes me HATE acronyms.

Matthew
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Favorite Forum Post: "This is What You Get For Asking A Robot To Compose For You."

mistral
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mistralAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/21/2011 7:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI TimeKeeper!

I got the same problem in Finale 2012 and I resolve the problem this way:

open MIDI/audio menu then select Device setup then select Audio setup then increase the Buffer size at the botom until the sound is ok. Perhaps that can help for you!

;-)

Finale 2012

Windows 7 32 bits 3 Go RAM

Message Edité (mistral) : 10/21/2011 8:44:55 AM (GMT-5)

Timekeeper
Time Lord

Date Joined Jan 2009

Posted 10/21/2011 8:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll give that a try

Matthew
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Author: Tornado Mountain

Pastor Jonathan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pastor JonathanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 33

Posted 11/3/2011 4:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm on Finale 2011 and am having a similar problem with playback of VST instruments. I get lots of static and what sounds like a nasty repeating delay. When I switch back to 'Play Finale Through MIDI' the static goes away, but so does the beautiful sound and texture of the instruments. Help!

Pastor Jonathan

<FONT>This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 11/3/2011 4:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried increasing the buffer size as described above and my static goes away (so does my notes that fail to cut off.)

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Vista Home Premium Gateway LX6810-01

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Windows 7 Professional HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook

Pastor Jonathan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pastor JonathanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 33

Posted 11/3/2011 5:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I looked for the option to "increase the buffer size" and did not see it in the place where you suggested.

Pastor Jonathan
[color=green></FONT>

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.[/color]