Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > can't run SmartMusic 2011 under Windows Vista standard user account without admin password  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

JRG
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JRGAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/19/2010 3:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been unable to get SmartMusic 2011 to run under a standard user account in Windows Vista without being prompted for a password from an administrator account.

SmartMusic 2011 at first would just hang on the splash screen when I tried to launch from the standard user account.  This seemed to be related to User Account Control.  So I changed it (under an admin account) to run this program as an administrator.  Now when launching under the standard user account we get prompted for an admin password.  I want my my teenager to be able to run SmartMusic without needing me to enter the admin password, and I don't want to disable User Account Control and the parental controls on his account. 

I found an interesting method on vista4beginners.com to disable UAC for certain applications by using the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit -- followed those instructions and ended up right back where I started with SmartMusic hanging when launching from the standard user account.

If anyone has some pointers I would be much obliged.

Note: SmartMusic functions flawlessly under the administrator account.

chrisporter52
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chrisporter52AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/19/2010 9:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am having the same problem with the computers at school and no one can seem to help! I have followed the instructions from tech support but to no avail. I hope something can be done because the students can't even use the program unless it's logged in as an admin and that's obviously not a good idea.

P.S. We use Macs

James Lund
SmartMusic Technical Product Manager

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LundAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 128

Posted 9/21/2010 10:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JRG,

Welcome to the forums! For your UAC problem, try right-clicking SmartMusic 2011, Properties, click the Compatibility tab, then check "Run this program as Administrator." I believe you'll only have to enter the password one more time and after that double-clicking should launch it with Admin rights without prompting. I don't have a machine set up in the same way as yours, so see if this advice helps out.

For the Macintosh problems you're seeing, Chrisporter52, I'm pretty sure you're being prompted for a username/password for your school's proxy server. SmartMusic isn't officially supported in every proxy environment - have your tech guys check the article below, and also inside SmartMusic you can search the Help for "proxy" for additional information about the restrictions in that kind of network setup.

School network information: smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1524/

Thanks,

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

myrddin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to myrddinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010

Posted 9/22/2010 9:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This recommended option does not work for SmartMusic 2011.  As the earlier user, I have standard user accounts setup for my daughter that are not admin enabled.  Under my admin account the program runs fine, but I get the UAC prompt every time I try to run the program.  Under her account it hangs... After following the recommendation below, under her account I am prompted for an adminstrative logon every time the program is started.  It appears I have to either grant her account administrative rights, disable UAC, or have an admin user type in the admin password every time she wishes to run the program.  None of these are valid options.  What can I do to get this program to work under Vista.

I am running an Up-to-date Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2, 32-bit OS with 2GB of Ram

JRG
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JRGAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010

Posted 9/23/2010 5:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
myrddin,

We are in exactly the same place -- stuck having to enter the admin password upon launching SmartMusic 2011.

James Lund,

That's as far as the "run as admin" fix gets us.   I've got to believe this is a pretty mainstream problem -- with the prevalence of Vista home, people restricting their kids to standard user accounts, and heavy student usage of SmartMusic.

Would greatly appreciate if you could find a workaround or kick this over to your dev team to investigate patching possibilities -- seems to be a bug with how SmartMusic interacts with Vista.

Thanks,
John

Mallory
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MalloryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010

Posted 9/27/2010 6:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've got the same problem. Smartmusic runs on an administrator account, but it won't run on my daughter's account. This problem just started. It worked fine all last year, and it worked fine after I updated to Smartmusic 2011 with the start of this school year. But now, it won't run, and I've been trying to get it working for an hour now. Somebody screwed something up.

nicholasrellim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nicholasrellimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010

Posted 9/27/2010 9:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm having the exact same problem. must be some bug. Works fine when I run as adminisrator, but locks up when opened by standard user. As others said, no way is my kid getting my password. I have vista with all the updates. Please help!!!

Travis Shepard
SmartMusic Support

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Travis ShepardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 148

Posted 9/28/2010 7:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nicholasrellim,

Thank you for writing! We have over 140,000 SmartMusic subscriptions worldwide, and a very low rate of network errors such as the one you are seeing. These errors are almost always caused by some security settings related to the local machine or network it is using.

While we do not produce network security software, we do have advice on allowing SmartMusic through such programs, which you can find here: smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3549/kw/3549/r_id/101774

More detailed information (including the directories to which any limited account must have full read/write access) are listed in the article you can find in James Lund's post in this thread.

Finally, for one-on-one troubleshooting, you can send us a support case at: smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

Travis Shepard
SmartMusic Customer Support

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly at http://support.makemusic.com/

Hampsteadmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HampsteadmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/18/2010 7:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do we have any updates on runing 2011 under Vista? I've got numerous students unable to connect because of Vista's administrative issues. "Run as administrator" only works for some.

Thanks

txterry
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to txterryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/21/2010 9:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am experiencing the same problem.  I've updated all of my firewall setting as suggested by customer support, and the progam appears to run fine on an Administrator account, but it locks-up when launched from a Standard user account.