Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Help with a Different Score  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

esossai
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to esossaiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015
Total Posts : 35

Posted 11/6/2016 11:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello All

I am having a tremendous difficult with a score from my church that i am trying to add to Finale. I have scanned the score from my hymn book and created the score using the SmartScore and it did a pretty decent job, however i know smart score does not really 'likes" split measures. I have added both the TIFF and XML file here if i can find a one of you with the time to look and help me.

Basically the score is almost perfect but when finale tries to play the measure 4 at the end of the first system (split measure) and then goes to the measure 1 on the second system (continuation of the previous measure 4) there is a hesitation on the play back as finale does not quite recognize they are one measure and play a long silence.

I see that on every system it starts with a measure that contain only one beat divided in two eight notes on a 4/4 score. I really dont know how to fix. When i tried to merge the split score and re-split them as i have done on previous pieces this time it did not work saying the measure could not be split because of rhytmics the music was written and i really have not idea what that means and how to make it work so i don't have that hesitation on the score playback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Finale 2014.5 on OS X 10.10.5

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
174.JPG
  583KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 250 time(s).

File Attachment :
174.xml   107KB (text/xml)
This file has been downloaded 403 time(s).

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 11/6/2016 11:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What you need to do is to set the time signature in those split measures to reflect what they really are. At the end of the line, set it as 3/4, displaying as 4/4, and at the beginning, 1/4, displaying as 4/4.

I'm not sure how the split measure plugin handles this. You might have to do it manually.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

esossai
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to esossaiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015

Posted 11/6/2016 11:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Mike

I did not know you can do that. Set one measure and ask to display as another. I really don't know how to do that. Do you mind giving me the steps? I would really appreciate.
thanks.

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 11/6/2016 12:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was doing the similar trick for pickups when putting more than song/part on the same sheet. In your case what I call the pickup (PU) bar is your split bars.

A: If the first bar is a pickup (PU) bar, then Select it, right-click and select Time Signature > Edit Time Signature.
Set time signature to pickup bar requirement such as 1/4, 1/8, etc. Ensure the Measure Region is for the one bar only (unless it is for more).
Click on More Options in the window. Check use a Different Time Signature for Display, usually the main time signature. Click

PS: Thanks to Mike Rosen for the instruction sheet on his site for putting more than one song on a page.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 11/6/2016 12:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Select the measure. From the Context menu, choose Edit Time Signature...

Set it for (in my example) 3/4

Click on the box that says More Options...

In the next screen, choose the "display" time signature. Since it's the same time signature as the rest of the piece, it won't show.

Make sure to set the change for ONLY that measure!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
set_time_signature.png
  53KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 347 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
display_different.png
  70KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 375 time(s).

esossai
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2015

Posted 11/6/2016 2:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike you're the best.... worked like a charm... I also had another one with different measures and use the same thing and worked just as good.
Thanks a lot

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 11/7/2016 11:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike, How do you make the Arrows, or circle something in a screen shot?
TIA!

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Bill Spencer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SpencerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 342

Posted 11/8/2016 12:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Built in to Prewiew on the Mac! Tools> Annotate

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.9 GHz 16GB Ram OS 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5
MOTU DP 9
Kurzweil PC3K
Minimoog

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 11/8/2016 9:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Spencer said...
Built in to Prewiew on the Mac! Tools> Annotate

Or click on the Toolbox icon, to access all of the annotation tools.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Preview.png
  75KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 317 time(s).

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 11/8/2016 10:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale/Mac Forum Strikes again!
Thanks.

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.