Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Placing Dynamics on Grand Staff  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Anton Boktor
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Anton BoktorAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 42

Posted 4/3/2002 6:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On a grand staff,when I place a dynamic marking on one staff, it affects the other staff, even though, I specified "this staff only!" How do I make the two staves independent in terms of dynamic markings?

Anton Boktor
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Anton BoktorAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 42

Posted 4/3/2002 6:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To make my previous question sound more intelligent, how do I create separate ID's for the two staves in a grand staff?

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 4/3/2002 7:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You have to assign a different playback channel to each staff.

For example, if your grand staff is a piano, then assign the treble clef (upper staff) to channel 1 and the bass clef to channel 2. Both of these channels can then be assigned to a piano patch, even the same piano patch. But having different channels will allow you to assign and play back different dynamics. Furthermore, you could pan one clef to the right and the other to the left, if you care to do so, for a stereo effect. Some of this depends upon what you are using for hearing the playback.

From a notation point of view, one should not get carried away with lots of different dynamics between the two staves.

Cheers,

David

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 4/3/2002 7:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can carry it even further and assign different layers to different channels. A while back I started (but never finished) a piano piece in which I assigned the 4 layers of the top staff to channels 1-4, and the 4 layers of the lower staff to channels 5-8. All of which turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, but still...

Dan Powers
www.swanswingpress.com

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 4/3/2002 9:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/3/2002 12:00:00 PM, David Young wrote:
>
>From a notation point of view,
>one should not get carried
>away with lots of different
>dynamics between the two
>staves.
>

I agree in principle with David. But I have had several instances in writing swing or jazz piano where the bass clef (left hand unless your anatomy is really weird) is much to heavy in relation to the treble clef.

To Dan ---

I think you just explained why you never finished it. ;o)

Dick

Skjalg
Accordion man

Click to send Skjalg email.Click to visit Skjalg's website.Send a Private Message to SkjalgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2000
Total Posts : 927

Posted 4/3/2002 10:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anton, "this staff only" - is your dynamic markings attached to measures or notes?

I'm sure you are familiar with the differences between those two expression types, but I just wanted to tell you anyway.

Skjalg