Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Is SmartMusic what I'm looking for?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

WSplawn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WSplawnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 88

Posted 12/3/2013 7:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I need sight reading examples I can play along with with my keyboard. I have Finale. Is this the kind of thing Smarmusic does? It would be nice if the music I play along with had more than just a piano, maybe drums or guitar or something like that. Is this kind of thing available?

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 12/4/2013 11:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can give you some thoughts but I don't play piano other than hunt and peck and I am not an experienced SmartMusic user. I am a senior-citizen woodwind player.

SmartMusic is primarily intended as a learning aid for students. There is a student license and an educator's license which allows teachers to load their own exercises and get a grading on how well the students performed it. I have the student license.

It has a range of repertoires from classical, jazz and pop and it also has method books and exercises such as scales, rhythms, tuplets etc.

The pieces usually have a selection to enable your part (piano in your case) accompaniment or both. In the jazz selections, often your part is missing and only the accompaniment is available which I guess for the concept of jazz is not necessarily a bad thing but some of us would like it. So it depends on your tastes and what is available to determine if the repertoire is adequate. There are lots of titles and parts but not all will be suitable.

If you have full Finale that supports SmartMusic file export, you can create your own pieces that SmartMusic will play back. However, if you can do this and add guitar chords and percussion then you don't really need SmartMusic.

If you have the microphone, Smartmusic will analyze your playing for correct notes, timing, intonation. At the end of the piece it will display what you played in red if it is wrong. Very good for people not getting it right.

You can look at the SmartMusic site to get a limited idea what might be available for piano. I think an annual student license is around $40 so it isn't a huge expense to try it if it looks promising.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria
MuseScore interest
Smartscore Pro X2
Windows 8

Mark Magic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark MagicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2013
Total Posts : 1

Posted 12/11/2013 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey i am new in this forum!
looking forward to discuss with you guys!